Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remove The Torch From Your Mapp Gas Now!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, thank you very much for the warning. I never thought about that little pressure vessel being so fragile. I've got a torch on a bottle standing up on a shelf right now. Sorry about your injury, good luck on the healing. Maybe you should contact a lawer.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

I just tried to remove the torch from my little propane bottle and the bottle started leaking gas. I guess you were talking about some other type of cylinder huh? Maybe the MAPP gas bottles are different or am I suppost to have a plug to screw on after I remove the torch?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, Sorry about your pain. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'll unscrew my tip when I get home.

I keep my little propane/mapp gass bottles in a 5 gallon pail with holes cut in the bottom. Tougher to tip over.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

nasty looking burns, glad to hear you are still with us! what a way to find out about product safety. just out of curiosity, are there any ul labels/warnings regarding the tip over hazard?

hope everything heals up soon, take care.

lee
Old 04-01-2005, 02:25 PM

that sucks man...

do the doctors think you'll be left with much scarring?
Old 04-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Yowzers! Glad you are still with us. Thank God that thing was near empty. Seems like you have a pretty good attitude considering the circumstances. Thanks for the warning too.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I just tried to remove the torch from my little propane bottle and the bottle started leaking gas. I guess you were talking about some other type of cylinder huh? Maybe the MAPP gas bottles are different or am I suppost to have a plug to screw on after I remove the torch?
nope, the mapp gas bottles are the same design, i took mine off and it leaked like crazy too, dunno what the problem is with them? anyone?
Old 04-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

That's sobering.

As far as I know, the mapp gas bottles should all shut off just like the propane bottles. I've only experienced a bit of gas leakage when the torch assembly is being screwed off.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:49 AM

QUOTE=mt_goat]I just tried to remove the torch from my little propane bottle and the bottle started leaking gas. I guess you were talking about some other type of cylinder huh? Maybe the MAPP gas bottles are different or am I suppost to have a plug to screw on after I remove the torch? [/QUOTE] FAULTY BOTTLE !!!!! GET RID OF IT!!!!![
Old 04-03-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Faulty huh, I guess they have some kind of self-sealing opening? Maybe I originally screwed the torch on too tight or something?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Wow,you were lucky and good warning to heed.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Wow I just bought a Burnzomatic like a day ago! DIdnt even think bout the what would happen if i dropped it. Sorry to hear about that. Good Luck on your recovery!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:44 PM

Wow. Got any pics of the shop?

Got a workmans comp lawyer yet? That is a big money claim, trust me.

The burns look painful.

I once was involved with a case where a McDonalds worker saw a fat bundle of money in the store safe. Thinking fast he grabs it when no one was looking. He stuffed it down his underware and figured he would stash it in the dumpster outside and come back and get it after work. So he take a load of trash out the door to the dumpster. A few seconds later, boom.

It was a dye pack bundle and it exploded in his underware. He came screaming in the door in a cloud of orange smoke yelling, SOMEONE CALL 911.

Then he runs out and started stuffing snow in his underware.

OK, so I get on the scene, arrest the POS, and haul him to the hospital for treatment. They cut off his pants and then all the ER staff steps back from him in horror. That was the nastiest pecker you had ever seen. It was like someone put an M-80 in a banana.

Well the story quickly spread throughout the hospital and a long line of medical people formed to get a gander at this spectical. They all said the same thing when they saw it, "isn't that interesting." I am sure there are some medical folks here that knows what that really means.

OK, so the doctor was stumped on how to handle this, so I suggested a helicopter transport to the nearest burn unit. He liked that since he had no clue what to do with it and I liked it because that ment I could get off on time.

I am very sorry to hear about your burns. I have been burned a few times. Once as a child playing with matches and later as a vol fireman. I know is hurts, and hurts and hurts.

I hope all works out for you on this one. Thanks for sharing the story.

Gadget

Last edited by Gadget; 04-03-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Banned

the tanks leak a little bit when they are first unscrewed, but they seal up immediately on their own.. its normal for a little momentary leak when taking the torch off.... i have a bout 5 tanks and 2 torches, its the same thing for all of them....
Old 04-18-2005, 01:39 PM

Location: Las Vegas.. Soon to be heading for south america in the 4R
wow.. the other day i brunt my arm on my exhaust, not bad.. HOLY ลลลล IF I GOT BURNT LIKE THAT...

obviously.. hope all works out for you..

remember.. chix dig body damage..
Old 04-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Damn dude, that looks painful; I've had one bad 2nd degree burn like that, but its on my right calf (I bet about half the people here have the same scar). Hurt for quite a while. Glad to see nothing happened to your eyes (did it?). I worry about my eyes and fingers more than anything when I'm working on my truck or doing anything involving power tools.

Someone mentioned workmans comp, I don't really know, but I think its supahonkeys own business, so that might rule that sort of thing out.

Anyway, get well soon.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Even if it was his business the manufacturer of the tank should be held accountable. Those tanks should be strong enough to withstand a fall to the floor without exploding.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:07 AM

AAAHHHHGGGG, nasty looking burns, hope everything heals up soon, glad to hear you are still with us! what a way to find out about product safety...do the doctors think you'll be left with much scarring?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jc1kz
AAAHHHHGGGG, nasty looking burns, hope everything heals up soon, glad to hear you are still with us! what a way to find out about product safety...do the doctors think you'll be left with much scarring?
that is my exact thought too....time to start consulting plastic surgeons, and I pray to God that there is no scarring.

I know what that feeling is like because I took a SOLID face plant (meaning my face was what made first, longest, and hardest contact) into concrete going a good 20mph on my rollerblades...had I not been wearing some Oakly M frames I probably would not have my right eye, and I worried for weeks about the scarring. I got lucky and the scarring is very very minimal and is practically unnoticable. I hope the same can be said for you after recovering.

Thanks for the warning - it's easy to underestimate the power of those little bastard bottles....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 04-19-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Even if it was his business the manufacturer of the tank should be held accountable. Those tanks should be strong enough to withstand a fall to the floor without exploding.
Quite true. I just figured no workmans comp. I'm all for holding manufacturers responsible for their products (within reason, and I'd say this qualifies). I know they are changing the laws in regard to suing businesses (tho maybe its just for class action suits)-I'd chat up a (personal injury?) lawyer soon. Never thought I'd being saying that.

Quick Reply: Remove The Torch From Your Mapp Gas Now!