Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheelers off road- 3" x 30' = $37.95
Central 4wd 3" x 30' = $77.71

How is central 4wd cheaper?
Old 01-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

where can I get a cheap reciever shackle? Lowest I found so far was $37.95 plus $9 for shipping.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:16 PM

Another tip for recovery...

Do Not Recover Someone In Reverse...

From what I've heard, Toyota gears are only hardened on one side of the teeth...the side that pushes you forward. (I think other makes have them hardened on both sides)

Heavy-use going in reverse, on the un-hardened side, with do some damage to the gears. Be sure and turn around whenever possible.

Jim
Old 01-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didn't know that. i need to mount a shackle or something to the rear of my truck so i can avoid pulling out someone in reverse. i just don't know where to mount anything. any suggestions?
Old 01-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry sdastg, I was looking at the wrong one. Thanks for the shutdown...maybe I'll have to redeem myself by ordering that Wheelers strap...maybe I could use that as an excuse to get it!!!

About that receiver shackle, the cheapest I have found is $39.99 + shipping at Cabelas.com, let me know if you find it cheaper.

Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like we've got a good thread goin here...keep the tips comin!

BTW: Good call on that one jruz! I heard that from a friend of mine but didn't believe him, sounds like its not just an urban myth afterall.

Fink
Old 01-04-2004, 04:41 PM

Best ways...
A) receiver hitch
B) after market bumper

Neither are free, but I would go with B so you can retain that clearance in the back.

Jim
Old 01-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jruz
From what I've heard, Toyota gears are only hardened on one side of the teeth...the side that pushes you forward. (I think other makes have them hardened on both sides)
Jim
Where did you hear that? Heat treatment affects all surfaces of the gears. The only thing I can think of that could selectively condition a surface is shot peening but I don't really know why they would only do 1 side.

But yes, generally it's best to do the hard yanks in the forward direction. The reason that I've always heard is because the force is exerted on the geometrically weaker side...that is, the coast side is weaker.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sdastg1
where can I get a cheap reciever shackle? Lowest I found so far was $37.95 plus $9 for shipping.
www.truckandsportoutfitters.com

They have the Warn receiver and shackle for 36.10 + 11% of MSRP for shipping.

This is the cheapest price I've found online. I bought a receiver and two shackles for $78.35 from them.

As a side note, however, I have an unused Warn receiver minus the shackle that I'd sell for $20 shipped.

Bill
Old 01-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by EWAYota
i didn't know that. i need to mount a shackle or something to the rear of my truck so i can avoid pulling out someone in reverse. i just don't know where to mount anything. any suggestions?
As mentioned, get a Warn Receiver shackle.
I got mine at Central 4WD for around $30 or so a few years ago.

Here it is mounted to Jim's (mytruck on the forum) '89 pickup in his hitch.
http://pnw4runners.com/runs/4602/v16.mpg
1.30 MB video above.

That be me winching him up the hill.
That was a few winters back, and the first time I had used my winch, so we were just testing it.

That is a great way to attach a strap to your rig to pull someone out, or attach to them to yank them out.

Here's a close-up of mine.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Where did you hear that?
Honestly...I don't know. It would be nice to see it in writing.

Either way, the "coast" side (as you call it) is not as strong.

Jim
Old 01-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard the same thing, maybe from Jim? Would you have more torque in drive than in reverse as well?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Well, when I get back tonight, I'll list what my kid SHOULD have had with him. I already own most of the stuff, it just wasn't in his truck. He walked out 4 miles to the road and hitched home. We go to recover the truck tonight.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=23852

Last edited by Yoda; 01-05-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the replies - good luck with the recovery Yoda!

I was just thinking, what about a good first aide kit? Nothing for operations or anything serious, just a simple kit I could use in a minor emergency...if it was serious I wouldn't feel comfortable using it myself anyway. I would prefer one pre-packaged...anybody know of any good ones, either online or something I could find locally.

Thanks,

Fink
Old 01-05-2004, 01:53 PM

Post My gear and tips...

I have;
a shovel (d-handle)($18)
an "E"-Tool(free)
6ft tree saver strap($15)
48 inch hilift($45)
hilift jack kit($48)
3 ton 69 foot army towstrap($10)
20,000lbs 2'' explorer procomp strap($20)
Genaric yellow with loops($16)
"Coyote" Chain (4' chain with grab and choke hooks to make recovery points with on vehicles)($9)
2 ton come along ($15)
gloves, gloves, gloves!!!($8)
Reciver Shackle($20)
Duel Front Hooks($16)
Homemade traction boards 4 ($34)
Extra shackle($12)
Extra hitch pin($5)
-next step, winch

I do not recoment monster tow straps, vehicle to vehicle recovery is like a chain, the weakest link breaks. I like it to be nylon strap, not metal hook. Straps with hooks are dumb, just toys in my opinion. I have not been unable to free myself yet. Expariance and good thinking skills are more important than all other items too. Also, a hitch pin makes a good recovery point. It is what holds the shackles in after all. If you have a narrow tow strap just put it through the loop and pull. Hi-Lifts are great but dangerous. I see rigs topple over to the side all the time when the jack swings out. BTW, I read in a Jim Allen book that he bought a dynometer and tested all his winch pulls for a while, nearly all were about 3500 lbs. I have seen up to a 6'' keeper recovery strap but it is overkill, maybe if you are pulling a semi out. If you have any questions I would love to help, I know lots and lots bout' recovery.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Good info Lamm! I really appreciate it...my question is where the heck do you store all that crap? I have a 58QT Rubbermaid Roughneck $7.92 plastic storage tub bungee'd down in the back of my Runner and I doubt that it could hold all of those goodies...pics would be cool too if you have an innovative storage idea. Thanks again!

Another question just came to mind...if pulling in reverse is not advised...am I correct in assuming that the ONLY reason that hook is there on the front is for somebody pulling you out? If so...it's a Toyota, how often will YOU get stuck?!?!?!

Fink
Old 01-05-2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
I've heard the same thing, maybe from Jim? Would you have more torque in drive than in reverse as well?
Haha...probably from me. Actually I heard it from the all-knowing WATRD. I think he knew someone who personally experienced the pain of opening up the diff and finding a bunch of metal pieces dropping out.

I think gear-wise...going in reverse would be just as good, if not better than first-gear. However, I would wager the tranny has a similar weakness for the reverse gears.

Jim
Old 01-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 4x4Fink
...if pulling in reverse is not advised...am I correct in assuming that the ONLY reason that hook is there on the front is for somebody pulling you out? If so...it's a Toyota, how often will YOU get stuck?!?!?!
It's ok to recover in reverse, just be aware that you could damage your gears. If you have to, then you have to. Just try not to floor it in reverse to yank somebody out.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:28 PM

Storage

Fink, except for the shovel, e-tool and jack all this stuff fits into a black HD hinged lid box I picked up at lowes for $20. It is with the tool boxes and is called an suv box. It is just narrow enough to fit into the back, sits up to the back sest rears and is maybe 16'' deep. The two compartments in the sides are great for straps but I have water and some repair tools in them. All of it removes easily for when I need the room, it is easy to secure with some cargo straps and holds plenty. I keep all the recovery gear, spare fluids, spare parts, survival gear and some spare clothes in it. Plus, it has cup holders on thr lid for the backseet passengers. It is hard to imagine but simple. I will post a pic or two tomorow after school. Till next time.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where to store it all?

I carry quite a bit with me... 30' tow strap, 48" HiLift, full set of SAE and Metric sockets, full set of screwdrivers, various pliers, soldering iron, heat shrink, wire, duct tape, air hose and attachments, heavy wool blanket, rags, HiLift attachments (chain, winch conversion nose pieces, hooks), gloves, tie downs, jumper cables, power strip and extension cord (I have an inverter), fire extinguisher, foldable shovel, big spot light, and other stuff I can't remember right now.

To fit it all, I headed to IKEA, bought some wood boxes with pull-out drawers, stained 'em and mounted them in back.

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/storage.html

That page was before the HiLift and such, a more recent pic can be seen in a previous post I did in the thread:

Click the pic for a larger version:

A couple of folks here have done custom fit storage boxes for the back. Mad Chemist built himself a real nice one, and I think Corey's another that built up his back end.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, I carry supplies full time in the back.
http://pnw4runners.com/cargobox/box7.jpg
The yank 'em strap is in the left rear plastic storage compartment along with butt wipe, soap, ect, and the right plastic compartment has a set of binoculars.

As far as the shovel, Hi-Lift, axe, and spare fuel, they reside on the top of the rig.
Axe

Hi Lift, shovel, gas can

Quick Reply: Recovery Equipment