Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Differential problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Differential problem?

I have a 1996 Limited 4Runner with 193,000 miles almost problem-free driving. I'm a single female and don't know a thing about fixing my 4Runner but it sure has gotten me to and from work in some fierce snowstorms.

I suddenly started having a problem driving on an interstate last weekend and looking for confirmation that the mechanic has it right when he says it's a $1500 repair for the rear differential.

1. Stuttering, small jerks when I slowly apply acceleration from a stop. After several stutters it moves smoothly.
2. Coming off the interstate to a rapid stop:
a. I stop and then accelerate. It appears to be in neutral and the engine races. It then suddenly does a big jerk with a loud thunk noise and it suddenly moves forward smoothly.
b. I stop and the thunk/jerk happens just as it comes to the full stop. At this point my foot is on the brake
and it is really a loud thunk and the car jerks slightly forward even with foot on the brake. The sound comes from the rear end.
3. I did have have the jerk/thunk happen 2 times coming to a stop at lower speeds 35-45 mph. Generally driving at lower speeds around town with slow, gentle stops it never happens. There are no noises at any other time.

At $1500 for repair I want to be sure it's been diagnosed correctly and it is worth fixing or if it's time to sell. I'm moving from MI to KY and don't need a 4 wheel drive but love my 4Runner.

Also, I did have the strawberry milkshake 13,000 miles ago. The mechanic really flushed the system until it was crystal clear and says this is not a transmission problem.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm... Idk... sounds like a tranny issue to me. If the engine revs, then suddenly jerks, and takes off... Its unlikely to be the rear diff. If the rear diff was that bad, you'd have heard some nasty noises coming from it, and it wouldnt just jerk, and work fine.
Strawberry milkshake in the trans, is never a good thing, especially if you dont how long it was in there.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:14 PM

That sounds like trans issue to me too. Sorry
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
second opinion for sure.

if you had a friend that could remove the rear driveshaft, put it in fwd and test it in front wheel drive.

i think it sounds like tranny problem too.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM

It is easy/cheap enough to remove the third member to make sure. perhaps you want to ask him to take out the third member for a visual inspection. The third memeber is the part of the drivetrain at the end of the driveshaft. It holds the gears in the axle housing. Of course it costs some money to remove and inspect the third member, but for the cost of a visual inspection of the gears it is worth it if you are unsure. If the diff is the propblem it will be obvious visually. Maybe he can waive the charge for the inspection if you give the job to him.

Also, it is hard to find a good diff guy. It is difficult work. Take a look at Eastcoastgear.com. They sell fully built third members that any mechanic can install

If you fix the diff, pay for new bearings while you are in there. If you get a new third member from east coast gear it will have new bearings already.

Sounds more like a trans issue to me too but that's easy for me say over the internet. If he is sure it is a rear diff, ask him to waive the repair cost if a new rear diff does not fix it.

Good luck, sounds like it won't drive much longer if it is a rear diff issue.

PS many times a rear diff proplem is the result of low gear oil, low gear oil is often the result of leaking axle seals/clogged diff breather.

Last edited by badattitude; 09-05-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49
second opinion for sure.

if you had a friend that could remove the rear driveshaft, put it in fwd and test it in front wheel drive.

i think it sounds like tranny problem too.

Good idea, frankly the mechanic should do this before asking a customer to pay $1500.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are your axle seals leaking onto the brake shoes? What does this $1500 repair consist of?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I have no idea if the axle seals are leaking. I think the $1500 was a rough estimate for a total repair. I'm going to take your comments in to him and ask him to reconsider if it could be transmission or to check out your suggestions for checking for axle seal leak or ways to check the differential. I haven't found any information that this is an expected issue for this vehicle.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM

I just had thunking/thumping noise, I greased my slipjoint/zerk fittings, and not a single problem since... not saying that's your problem, just my two sense

My problem was everytime I was coming to a stop thud thud thud!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had thunking/thumping noise, I greased my slipjoint/zerk fittings, and not a single problem since... not saying that's your problem, just my two sense
. I stop and then accelerate. It appears to be in neutral and the engine races. It then suddenly does a big jerk with a loud thunk noise and it suddenly moves forward smoothly.
Sorry, but its just a little hilarious reading this thread and then reading your post.

Heres a quick comparison of what you pretty much said, and she pretty much said:

My rpms raise without the vehicle moving briefly. So after I greased my zerk fittings that fixed my problem,,,, Follow?

Exaggerated comparison for fun:

My engine blew a piston thru the hood. After I changed my oil that went away.

This is fun,,, we should do this again some time….

Hmmm... Idk... sounds like a tranny issue to me. If the engine revs, then suddenly jerks, and takes off... Its unlikely to be the rear diff. If the rear diff was that bad, you'd have heard some nasty noises coming from it, and it wouldnt just jerk, and work fine.
Well put. Good info IMO

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 12-09-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by vanduzerwilliam
I just had thunking/thumping noise, I greased my slipjoint/zerk fittings, and not a single problem since... not saying that's your problem, just my two sense My problem was everytime I was coming to a stop thud thud thud!
My old Tahoe done the same. Cleaning and putting fresh grease on the slip yoke fixed it. Common for auto transmissions with slip yokes
Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM

My old Tahoe done the same. Cleaning and putting fresh grease on the slip yoke fixed it. Common for auto transmissions with slip yokes
Im sorry your right. That totally is whats going on here, the rpm gain without movement is definitely a sign of no grease in the zerks. Cant believe I didn't see that before. Yup just grease your zerks. Leson learned.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I had an automatic trans do something like this.

I was pulling the trans the person I sold it to said it worked just fine.

I also pulled the third out. It all looked good no chips nothing loose .

Never did find the problem.

Increasing rpm sure does not sound like a differential problem but you not going to know till it gets pulled out.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Im sorry your right. That totally is whats going on here, the rpm gain without movement is definitely a sign of no grease in the zerks. Cant believe I didn't see that before. Yup just grease your zerks. Leson learned.
That was the fix for the clunk when coming to a stop. I didn't say it was a fix for all the problems the PO was having. And there are no grease zerks on a slip yoke.
Instead of filling this thread with comments like that just stay out of it, no one is making you post.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:48 PM

there are no grease zerks on a slip yoke.
They all have zerks on the slip yokes. I can get you a picture if you want.?

That was the fix for the clunk when coming to a stop. I didn't say it was a fix for all the problems the PO was having.
Anyways then why are you offering solutions to problems that the OP doesn't have?

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 12-10-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Deleting post because this thread is old and wtf was it revived to argue about zerks for...

Last edited by SCToy; 12-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Deleting post because this thread is old and wtf was it revived to argue about zerks for...
Good! delete yourself while your at it.
Let me explain something to you,

Nobody is arguing about the fact that theirs zerks on slip yokes. Im fully aware of the date on this thread. This thread is not that old and it wouldn't matter if it was.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 PM

I'm aware of what zerks are for and why they are not her problem. My point is she has certainly made a decision 3 months later and bumping an old thread to argue is silly.

Guess you just are 'that guy'
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM

I'm aware of what zerks are for and why they are not her problem. My point is she has certainly made a decision 3 months later and bumping an old thread to argue is silly.

So is jumping into an old thread and calling people silly. Your silly….silly! Maybe slim slay would slough a slumber sausage and slue would or should sue some slippery sanatizational sanches sack of potatoes?

That will stop to your attitude pretty speedy like uh…who's silly now.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:25 PM

oh Boy!

Quick Reply: Rear Differential problem?