Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Really want to buy a Yota. What do you think about this Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

FYI. . .I just bought(last week) a black 2000 4WD SR5 with 165000 miles for 7500 bucks. It runs like a champ! It is in excellent condition and has been maitained fairly well. I went through my first full tank of fuel as of yesterday and averaged 19.85 mpg. I wouldn't give more than 9000 for it even with the 'extras.' That is a purty one though.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
really check the 4 runner out bro. that price sends a red flag up big time in my head.. i bet its overheated before..
You think it has overheated because of the price???
Check out this .pdf to see the available features for that year. That model looks pretty bare bones to me. No color coded flares/bumper w/ hood scoop, no fogs, no sunroof, no 16" wheels, etc...
That price is dead on NADA value (on the right coast anyway). If thats the price range your looking at, I'd look for something with more options, personally.
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist/2000_4runner.pdf

Last edited by Whitey13; 11-02-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree the price is high. But for appearance I have not seen many better than that one. Good looking paint and rims. Yes you should be able to get them down to around $9500 or right around there. Pull the VIN# and take it to the Yota dealership and see what they can tell you about scheduled maintenance and recall items.

You can get leather seats in an SR5, I have them in mine.

Best of luck with your Toyota purchase and your Jimmy/Blazer was a fine looking vehicle as well-trust us you will not be going back....
Old 11-02-2007, 11:35 AM

Looks really good... I would check to see if he has service records and what's been replaced... here's some questions to ask the owner that can work as bargaining questions to get that high price down.

Its lifted did he do the struts/shocks,if so, when?
How's he paint on the roof (most neglected area)
When was the timing belt done, how long do you have until its due?
Was the water pump done at that time?
Has the radiator been replaced?
How's the transmission fluid look/smell/ serviced??
(A few people have had trans failures due to the radiator failing and dumping coolant into the transmission)
How are the brakes?
How are the axle seals and bearings?
When were the valves adjusted?
How much mileage is on the Tires? Uneven wear?
Wheels painted by him or powdercoated?

I'm sure others can come up with some things I missed...

In perspective, my 97 is showroom condition and garage kept and by the prior owner, I bought it in March this year w/ about 60K on it for about $3500... although mine is a base, I'm sure that price is way to high
Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by osker fenix
I'd take off the running boards and black out the corner lenses and the taillights

that looks even better. I cant wait to have one of these
It is most likely just a body lift. It won't look like that when you remove the running boards, it will look similar to your truck in that there will be a lot of frame showing.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 PM

Little high priced IMO, but it looks pretty nice.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

I'd avoid it since that isn't a Highlander edition the bumpers have been sprayed over the original chrome from what I can tell and that alone screams shoddy work and who knows what other shodiness could be accompanying that.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by blackikon
FYI. . .I just bought(last week) a black 2000 4WD SR5 with 165000 miles for 7500 bucks. It runs like a champ! It is in excellent condition and has been maitained fairly well. I went through my first full tank of fuel as of yesterday and averaged 19.85 mpg. I wouldn't give more than 9000 for it even with the 'extras.' That is a purty one though.
wow its really good to know...that you guys believe in these vehicles so much your willing to buy one with 165k on it. Thats Awesome.

Alright guys, I was considering buying this one but nothing was set in stone just to let you know, i was more posting this to get your guys opinions on a good looking runner with an amount of miles that would scare the sh** out of me if it was on my blazer (and i agree that the price is a little high). Its awesome that toyotas can last so long...

Last edited by osker fenix; 11-02-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

I know my rig is like 2 gens before yours, but I bought mine w/203K and not one worry. My cousin was later looking at a second gen and was worried about it having 228K, it looked clean and he was getting a good deal. I told him go for it! and he hasn't had a problem and is very happy. Best thing is, he sold his newer, less mileage Grand Cherokee for it haha.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
I know my rig is like 2 gens before yours, but I bought mine w/203K and not one worry. My cousin was later looking at a second gen and was worried about it having 228K, it looked clean and he was getting a good deal. I told him go for it! and he hasn't had a problem and is very happy. Best thing is, he sold his newer, less mileage Grand Cherokee for it haha.
that completely blows my mind....You can probably tell ive never owned a Toyota, and i find it hard to fathom how they can last so long . THATS INSANE.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:30 PM

What do you guys think about this one?

http://cars.kbb.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Old 11-03-2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by osker fenix
What do you guys think about this one?

http://cars.kbb.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Thats the exact truck I have. Looks to be a much better deal than the one you posted previously.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:46 PM

Thats a badass 4Runner, I would definitely buy it!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:04 PM

when i bought my runner i was driveing a bmw, well, after a few months of owning both i decided i only really needed one car. guess which one i sold? and, my runner is 10yrs older! don't get me wrong, i loved my beemer but main deciding factors in the decision were: 1. price and availibility of parts and 2. ease of doing work yourself and 3. relialibility. (and the real reason, 4. i can go in the runner my lowered 5 series could never dream of and pack way more sh*it in it).

to summerize it? i'm just simply blown away with toyota and in love with it. my first one (i use to have a few beemer and amerian classics before it), but not the last. i've put about 8k on it in about 8 months with out as much as a hicup.

if the truck was mentained and has history to prove it i'd buy one with high milage no problem!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Haha... I got the same setup, but I LOVE my Beemer and I could never sell either one. I only drive the Beemer like 2K miles a year or so, but just driving that 5 series and feeling the quality craftsmanship once a month, keeps it in the garage.

Anyways, Osker, much better truck & price buddy. Get's my thumbsup. Plus, THOSE wheels in black would look friggin nice! Did you contact the seller yet?

Last edited by Djlarroc; 11-03-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
no just found it today. Its not to far from where i live so hopefully i can see it this week if everything works out.

Last edited by rocket; 11-04-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: hit edit instead of reply :/
Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if that 2nd one you found is sold by the time you have a chance to see it. The price, mileage, and said condition is hard to beat. Go see it today!
Old 11-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Forgive me for not reading all the replys, but as for my most recent buying experience, my friend bought a 98' tacoma with 80,000 on it for 12,500. It had a 3" spacer lift which is nothing quality, but everything on it worked normaly, and it was in good cosmetic health, as well as came with a canopy. Only thing that needed replacement soon was the rear shocks, but big whoop.

Id shoot for a deal liek that if i were you. You just have to watch like a hawk, the moment these things come up they are sold.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Always remember, if you miss one there will always another. If it doesn't have all you want, then you can wait it out or buy it and add them yourself. I have had all 3 gen 4runners, My gen 1 had 215k on it when I traded it to a contractor for 12 double paine low-e vinyl windows installed. I paid $3k for it then less then 6 months later after looking and looking, I found my Gen 2 on my way home from a business trip. Heck I didn't even get home from the airport and spotted it on a dealers lot, 91K miles 95 5 speed 3.0 4wd with nice OEM wheels but the larger size with a killer stereo and amp system, $6600, year later and I wasn't even really looking I stopped by my Toyota dealer for a promo with no intention of buying a truck and they had just taken in my current ride, 98 SR5 automatic, really clean and it had 122K on it. It cost me $10,300. They are out there and if you wait and look and are diligent and hey it doesn't hurt to have a salesman or two you TRUST to watch for you as well. They are out there. Compare features, compare options, color what ever you need you will find it or just come here and ask! Good luckwith your search, you will be rewarded!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Good luckwith your search, you will be rewarded!
haha thank you sensei

Quick Reply: Really want to buy a Yota. What do you think about this Runner?