Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Re-lamped my 3rd gen. Runner w/ Plug-n-Play LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randomness
So how would they work in 2nd Gen turn signals/ tails?
Can you take close up digital pics. of all your lenses (front & rear, everything) for me? Try to focus onto each's internal reflector if possible. Remember to clean the lenses first if possible.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hilux Surf
Can you take close up digital pics. of all your lenses (front & rear, everything) for me? Try to focus onto each's internal reflector if possible. Remember to clean the lenses first if possible.
So should I take the lenses off to do that? YOu want pics of the outside?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Exterior LED Bulbs for '99 4Runner

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
So,how much would it run to do the tails,corners unluding the doo-hickies that fool your Runner into not thinking the lights aren't burned out?
You have to determine what color LED bulbs to get (from my suggested choices) as I don't have a '99 w/ stock lens here. Rule of thumb is that the LED bulb should be of the same color of the lens that it is going into for max. brightness, as LED emits monochromically unlike filament bulbs.

1999 TOYOTA 4Runner

Front sidemarker
194 (5x wLEDs) amber = $4 each
or
194 (5x wLEDs) white = $6 each

Front turn signal
7440 (15x LEDs) amber = $8 each
or
7440 (15x LEDs) white = $12 each

Rear turn signal
7440 (15x LEDs) amber = $8 each
or

Back up light

Tail / Stop light
7443 (15x LEDs) red = $9 each

High mount stop light
921 – I am not sure what this looks like

License plate
194 (1x wLED round base) white = $3 each

Load Resistor Kit – get one for each LED signal bulb ONLY if ‘burned bulb’ indicator is lit, eg: ABS indicator = $7 each

S&H is typically $8 by UPS Ground
Old 03-08-2005, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Randomness
So should I take the lenses off to do that? YOu want pics of the outside?
No need. Just clean the lens really well & snap pics. from the outside should do. If I need more detailed info, I will let you know. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good! When you do your interior, do you know what you're doing to do about the #74 bulbs? Theyre tiny and I have yet to find one that shoots light all around. Right now I have the flat tipped ones and sanded the tip a bit. Its ok but can be alot better (still better than the dingy green though). Any pnp suggestions besides drilling a bunch of leds in there?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 PM

About the back up lights and HID headlight bulbs

Thanks for the info and pics on the LED modifications. I would be interested in a group sale if you do one. My question is, how much brighter are the backup lamps compared to the regular incandecent bulbs? My 97 Runner has the rear window tinted pretty dark and the visibility sucks at night. Also, sombody was asking about HID bulbs for the headlights and I wanted to mention that I bought a pair off Ebay from a company called "EuroDezigns". They are rated at 8500K and they work great without any mods needed.
I got them for $9.95 plus shipping which was less than ten bucks and a lifetime warranty came with them too. GREAT DEAL!! They can be ordered direct at their website... www.eurodezigns.com for around $12.95 too.

Thanks again for the bulb info and I'll visit your site for more info.

Graywoulf

Last edited by Graywoulf; 03-08-2005 at 08:11 PM. Reason: To change notification type.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Henryv
Looks good! When you do your interior, do you know what you're doing to do about the #74 bulbs? ...
I got a '98 too. Where do the #74 bulbs go? I don't see them being mentioned in the manual, so I assume that they lit up the odometer area? If yes, then I ain't touching those! I will only swap the ones in easily accessible areas.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Graywoulf
Thanks for the info and pics on the LED modifications. I would be interested in a group sale if you do one. My question is, how much brighter are the backup lamps compared to the regular incandecent bulbs? My 97 Runner has the rear window tinted pretty dark and the visibility sucks at night.
Graywoulf, do you have OEM tail lights or aftermarket ones like TYC? The TYC one that I have tends to intensify the light output quite a bit, I’d say around 2x brighter. I think you should stick w/ high performance incandescent bulbs as your back-up but get the 27w Raybrig (if I am not mistaken, stock one is 21w) wedge bulbs. I don’t think you’ll be satisfied w/ the LED output with such dark tinted rear window. Also, think about those auxiliary back up lamps made by PIAA, Raybrig, Hella, etc…

Those so-called HID bulbs you bought from eurodezigns are actually halogen bulbs. They can remotely call those xenon halogen as xenon gas is often used in halogen bulbs these days. But they shouldn’t call those HID cos’ that’s just wrong & deceiving. To use HID capsules like in the case of HID conversion kit, you need a pair of 35w HID ballasts (w/ integrated ignitors), as well as a pair of HID capsules (note that we don’t call those bulbs).

P.S. I got your pm, I so don’t mind things like these. Don’t worry.

Edward
Old 03-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hilux Surf
I got a '98 too. Where do the #74 bulbs go? I don't see them being mentioned in the manual, so I assume that they lit up the odometer area? If yes, then I ain't touching those! I will only swap the ones in easily accessible areas.
The ones behind the odo are 194's. The 74's go behind the heater a/c panel.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:51 PM

Output: Halogen VS. HID

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Are there any direct replacements for headlight bulbs that put out more light than a HID system or even a standard high output bulb? ...
Very good question and I totally missed it until now.

Firstly, they claim that HID outputs around 3x the intensity of stock halogen. So maybe 1.5 - 2x the intensity of high-performance ones like PIAA, POLARG, etc.

And I think the following combination maybe your answer:

1) IPF H4 “Fatboy” High Output Halogen Bulb – this oversized (& over-pressured) H4 halogen bulb draws 80w on low beam & 60w on high beam. IPF claims that’s equivalent to 190w & 150w output respectively.

2) Now, if you still want more output, use the Fatboy w/ the Hyper Beam System which feeds extra wattage to the halogen to make them fire up to 2 times as bright as normal.

With the above combination (provided that they’re compatible), you may get an output comparable to HID. But I have never tried it myself and you now have the concern of glare. So I suggest that you try this only for off-road, show or experimental use.

If you are interested in the IPF Fatboy & HBS, you know where to find me.

Edward
Old 03-09-2005, 07:59 PM

I have HID projectors from a Mercedes E320 retrofitted into my headlamps and the improvement is HUGE over my Silverstars. Halogen bulbs don't even come close to HID.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by huskyfan23
I have HID projectors from a Mercedes E320 retrofitted into my headlamps and the improvement is HUGE over my Silverstars. Halogen bulbs don't even come close to HID.
HID projector retrofit is undoubtedly the best way to go - and looks damn cool on or off. May I ask how much time did it take for you to make a pair and how much did you spend on materials alone? Do you have pics? I remember seeing a 3rd gen. retrofitted w/ HID projectors sometime ago here, was that you?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:04 AM

I got it done by another guy. I've got an Explorer so that probably wasn't me It's not the sharpest cutoff, but they're aimed properly and put out enough light not to matter. They're bi-xenon so I've got a pic of lows and highs.
Attached Thumbnails Re-lamped my 3rd gen. Runner w/ Plug-n-Play LED bulbs-1.jpg   Re-lamped my 3rd gen. Runner w/ Plug-n-Play LED bulbs-2.jpg   Re-lamped my 3rd gen. Runner w/ Plug-n-Play LED bulbs-3.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 08:04 AM

More.
Attached Thumbnails Re-lamped my 3rd gen. Runner w/ Plug-n-Play LED bulbs-4.jpg   Re-lamped my 3rd gen. Runner w/ Plug-n-Play LED bulbs-5.jpg  
Old 03-11-2005, 04:25 AM

3rd Gen Backup & Cheapo Bulbs

Greetings Edward,
Thanks for your input on the backup lights. I have considered installing auxillary lights on the rear. I'm thinking about doing a cutout in the rear spoiler for a near flush mount using compact store bought driving lights. I figure that the added height will give me greater coverage for many purposes other that just backuip lights. I will just add another switch on the dash and use them manually. About the cheap "HID" bulbs I bought on Ebay, they work pretty well for the price which was within my budget. They are packaged as HID, Xenon-Krypton "H4"s but I cannot say that I agree with the 8500K output. But still they are much brighter than the stock bulbs. I would like to see real HID's at work sometime though. I have gotten quite an education about lighting in this thread. I'll chec the price of those "fatboy" systems you just talked about. Sounds interesting.

Graywoulf
Old 03-11-2005, 05:13 AM
Contributing Member

says your in mass do you have a store i could go to by chance?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:38 AM
lee
Contributing Member

^^^ ditto
Old 03-11-2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Graywoulf
...I'm thinking about doing a cutout in the rear spoiler for a near flush mount using compact store bought driving lights. I figure that the added height will give me greater coverage for many purposes other that just backuip lights. ... I would like to see real HID's at work sometime though. I have gotten quite an education about lighting in this thread. I'll chec the price of those "fatboy" systems you just talked about. Sounds interesting.
Hey Graywoulf, the flush mount idea sounds cool indeed, post pics. to show us once it is completed please. If you need pricing on IPF Fatboy H4, PM me. Here's a photo for you, it shows my Xenonized headlamp - 6,000K HID (H/L). Since I got these more than 2 years ago, I have never encountered once when opposing traffic flashed me or anything.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 PM

To Lone4runner & lee, sorry but we no longer have any physical store in MA for the time being. Although if you drive by Rt. 1 in Foxboro (very close to the Gillette Stadium), you will see a catchy signage that says: SigmaAuto.com – this is our old location and my ex-partner is just too lazy to take down the signage. But don’t go in, they have nothing to do w/ us now. :alien: If you need any thing installed, our 2 affiliated shops are: Auto Security Connection (for remote start, alarm, gadgets) in W. Newton & Next Level Motorsports (for mechanical work) in Westford.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

so hilux once we buy the stuff from you those stores are normally the ones who install for you if needed?

Quick Reply: Re-lamped my 3rd gen. Runner w/ Plug-n-Play LED bulbs