Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

R.i.p.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Toyminator
Yea, i wasnt sure if it was a chain or a belt. I saw a diagram that was using a chain. So i guess i concluded wrong.
I'm sure that it's very stressful losing your ride -- I know that if my 91 were doing the same thing I'd be frantic myself. However, the comments that you made -- culminating in the one above -- showed a lot of readers that maybe you need an expert opinion. Hell, I am not a born mechanic. I've changed spark plugs and regular maintenance, and even once swapped an engine in a VW Crasher, but tearing into an engine? That's where I put the wrench down and back away from the vehicle.

I guess i should reassure myself before i post something on a website that has people looking for mistakes in type-o's and renamed parts, instead of trying to provide me with help.
That's pretty unfair to the people here. Nobody attacked you and absolutely nobody pointed out your typos. I think you could be losing the chip on your shoulder.

You did get a lot of help, and most of it was gently telling you that perhaps you need to call an expert. Nobody thinks less of you because you can't diagnose a mechanical problem in a late 20th century internal combustion engine. Trust me, I don't laugh at my family when they ask me to fix something wrong with their computer, either. And if it's something I don't know, I pretty much swallow my pride and ask. As far as automobiles go, I end up swallowing lots of pride because as I said I'm neither equipped nor knowledgeable enough to fix this stuff and nobody expects it.

Having said all that, here's hoping you and your mechanic can find out what's wrong and that it's not a horribly expen$$ive thing to fix.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyminator, all said and done I would bet money it is not a mechanical problem you have there that requires tearing into the block. I bet it is either a fuel delivery, air delivery or an ignition timing issue. Look at those first BEFORE you tear into the motor. If you really want to see what the inside of one looks like then go right ahead but if you just want to fix it then save yourself some headache and look at the engine management systems first.