Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question to all who have done plenum removal...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question to all who have done plenum removal...

Hey all,
I've just about got the plenum off of my Runner. I got stuck on a little bracket towards the front of the plenum. It's the frontmost screw on the top of the plenum. Well, I got the screw out, but I'm having problems with the bracket. It's welded to about 5 or 6 different tubes that are welded together and then goes down under the plenum. The bracket goes over the top of the plenum. Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody knows how to get around this as it is pretty strong and I don't really want to hacksaw it off.

Well, any help would be appreciated. Would like to know by tomorrow morning though.
Have fun all,
DH6twinotter
Old 12-27-2002, 07:55 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That stays on the plenum. You dont need to take that off.

Draw a diagram of the rubber hoses that connect to it.

jay

Edit:
Remember that you dont always have to take something COMPLETELY apart to get under it.

Here is coreys truck with the main bolts/nuts pointed out.

Last edited by Jay; 12-27-2002 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Wow. Thanks alot. I've got all the bolts pointed out off. I ended up taking off the 2 bolts that screw the EGR valve to exhaust manifold and the 4 to the plenum too. I didn't want to risk busting it while I pull it out of the plenum.

So, I don't need to take the bracket off? I'm talking about the bracket that goes around the tubes (3 visible in pic with red and silver hoses conected) in front of the plenum. The screw is right above the middle of the timing belt cover. I'm not talking about the 2 holding down the throttle cables.

If this is the screw that you were talking about in your ealier post, then I'm assuming that I just take off the hoses (red and silver in the above pic) and the pipes come off with the plenum. Is this right? I had thought it was conected to the intake manifold as it was really stuborn to move. :confused:

Well, I'm trying to figure this out. Thanks for the help.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter

P.S. I tried putting a pic with the bolt/bracket I was talking about with a blue circle, but said it was too big. I'll have to figure that out later. (it's almost 1:30 am )
Old 12-27-2002, 10:48 PM
Jay

Those pipes remain connected to the plenum. They route just underneath it and over to all the hoses.

Jay
Old 12-30-2002, 04:31 PM

DH6, did you figure that out? How did everything go?
Old 12-30-2002, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Jay! You've been a lot of help! Sorry for not getting back earlier. My email didn't notify my that you all had replied. Weird....:confused:

Originally posted by Jay
Those pipes remain connected to the plenum. They route just underneath it and over to all the hoses.

Jay
Ok. That's what I thought after I read your previous post, but I just wanted to make sure. After I removed the mentioned hoses, it all popped right off. Sure are a lot of hoses!

I should be finished by tomorrow evening. I just finished the plenum the other day, and I got the fuel rail off, the intake manifold off, and the knock sensor off today. I also changed the PCV valve while I was at it. Total, I would probably have spent about 20 hours. A lot more than a mechanic I'm sure, but I'm taking my time, and have learned a lot in the process.

Having that water line going through the pulley is the craziest thing I ever saw! :confused: Wasn't that bad though.

MonkeyElvis--The plenum removal wasn't that bad. I wasn't sure about some of the hoses at the front of the plenum (hence the thread), but thanks to Jay, that all worked out great. My job took me quite a bit longer just because I had to remove my knock sensor which was located below the intake manifold.
If you know what to do on the plenum, it probably wouldn't be that long. I've never done a thing to my engine other than change the oil, so the biggest thing for me was just getting over the fear of yanking a bunch of hoses off the engine. :eek: It really wasn't that bad though. I'd do again in a heart beat if I had too.

Well, have fun. Thanks again Jay. Now, I hope everything can go back together ok.
DH6twinotter
Old 12-31-2002, 05:42 PM
Jay

Right on man. Pretty soon ill be able to redirect 3.0 liter questions to you perhaps? (please?)

LOL

Jay
Old 12-31-2002, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jay
Right on man. Pretty soon ill be able to redirect 3.0 liter questions to you perhaps? (please?)

LOL

Jay
LOL. Right. I'd do whatever I could, but I'm not sure how in the world I'm going to remember everything. :confused:

I'm still not done putting it all back together. I would have finished it today, but got rained out. Won't be able to do anymore till Saturday. I'll keep you all informed....

Have fun all, Thanks.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-02-2003, 09:54 PM

Hey, did you ever consider cleaning the inside of the plenum? I want to take mine off so that I can clean out all the crap that builds up in there.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by oly884
Hey, did you ever consider cleaning the inside of the plenum? I want to take mine off so that I can clean out all the crap that builds up in there.
I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to check to see how dirty it is when I go to work on it. I don't recall it being that bad from just a glance at it. Do you use carb cleaner for that?

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-06-2003, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Hey all, I got another question. I've got the fuel rails and the water bypass valve (or whatever that is called) back on and am now going to replace the PCV valve. I've got it out, but I've got a question about putting the new one in: There seems to be a "lip" around the PCV hole in the valve cover. It is about 1/16 inch above the valve cover and about 3/16 inch wide. I can't figure out if this is part of the valve cover or if is some of the remaining grommet that has gotten really hard. Am I suppose to take this off and have the hole flush with the valve cover, or is it part of the valve cover and not able to come off?

Thanks. Hope that all makes sense. :confused:
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-06-2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by DH6twinotter
I hadn't thought about that. I'll have to check to see how dirty it is when I go to work on it. I don't recall it being that bad from just a glance at it. Do you use carb cleaner for that?

Have fun.
DH6twinotter
I looked in mine while i was cleaning the throttle body and when I replace the valve cover gaskets I'm going to have a machine shop stick it in a dunk tank to really clean it. From the looks of it carb cleaner won't do it for mine.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

OK. I went ahead and put the plenum back on today. I didn't bother to get it cleaned as I can't live without my 4Runner much longer. :cry: I may pull it off again sometime and get it cleaned though. Now that I know how to do it, it really isn't that hard as long as I don't run into any stuborn hoses. :mad:

I still have to put about 7 or 8 more hoses on, a couple of belts, hook up the throttle cables, and fill the radiator back up (which I'm afraid I'll probably forget ) I kinda don't know where some of the hoses go. I labeled most, but my friend came over and yanked a few off, so now I don't really know where they go. There is a 2 pairs of hoses that look like the same size, and I'm not sure what goes where. Would it be bad if they got in the wrong spot (other than probably a check engine light)?

Thanks again all. Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I got it mostly done today. Yipee! it is running kinda ruff, so I need to figure that out. I think I may have a leaking vacuum hose. It won't hold an idle and the engine just dies instead. I got it started this morning, but it overheated. Turns out my thermostat went bad while it was sitting in my driveway for all this time. (makes no sense to me--maybe because it was exposed to outside elements) I had to drain the radiator AGAIN! Got that fixed, and at least it doesn't overheat now. Just got to figure out the vacuum lines. My check engine light doesn't come on, so that's good.

Well, have fun. Thanks
DH6twinotter
Old 01-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

ok. I am now officially a hillbilly! I have a few vacuum hoses in the wrong spot. It's the AS, EGR, and one other one (forget what it is called). They are not the hoses that go to the valves, but the little solenoids or whatever it is mounted down on top of the wheel well. There is a total of about 6 hoses that are all the same size.

Well, one of them, when I plug it in, makes the engine quite. If I leave it out, the engine runs as purdy as can be. So, I left it out and plugged the hole with a stick. Woohoo. Now I'm a hillbilly. Ran great the whole 45 min home (except for quite a bit of knocking--would that be caused by the disconnected vacuum hoses?) I'm going to get the hoses straight tomorrow after school. Does anybody have a good diagram of these 6 hoses? My Haynes manual has a pic, but it so small I can hardly tell where they are going.

Anyhow, that's it so far.
Have fun all.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-23-2003, 10:02 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
DH, I thought there was a diagram under the hood for all the routing of the hoses.

I can check later in case yours is missing.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I did notice the diagram after I posted the above post. It was all covered in dust so I didn't see it. My brother in law pointed it out. However, after getting it cleaned off, most of the ink on it has worn off. So, I still can't see what it is.

I think I have the hoses figured out, but It would be much appreciated if somebody could post a diagram of what hoses go where.

Seems like my radiator is leaking a bit now. A bit of steam and fluid comes up from some repairs (I think) the previous owner did. I lose about a 1.5 inch of fluid in my overflow tank about every 50 miles. I have a new thermostat and radiator cap. Would leaving my engine sit for a couple of weeks with the radiator empty cause this? Engine doesn't seem to overheat any though. Kinda weird. Any ideas?

Thanks all.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter

BTW, would a hose in wrong spot cause spark knock?
Old 01-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

8:20 PM at night.
My neighbor's must think I'm nuts taking picures in the dark with my hood popped up

I had to wipe away the dirt from it, and I had to take it at an angle as my flashlight was putting the hood proper upper thingamajigger in a shadow over the diagram.

I will get a much better one for my site in the tech folder when it's day light, but this should help you for now.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tech/vac_hose_3v6.jpg

On the hose routing, if you have a hose wrong, I suppose it could effect your timing advance, but I am just barking out loud here, but each hose is suppose to have it's own place to call home, or something will be out of kilter.

Corey
Old 01-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Awesome! I really really appreciate that. That's a great picture! I'm at school now, so I'll check my hoses out when I get home. I'll let you all know how it turns out later tonight.

Thanks a ton!
Have fun all.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-24-2003, 08:06 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cool, glad you were able to see the picture, as my website host was down for awhile, but looks like my site just came back online.

Quick Reply: Question to all who have done plenum removal...