Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Put my DP on my Kennesaw Mountain Accessories rear bumper last night!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, Rolison it sounds like they do have some shady business ethics but such harsh comments aren't really necessary, especially since you have no first hand knowledge. I'm sure we can all get our points across without that.

Glad to see you finally got your bumper man, keep us posted on the install and such...be sure to pause to give us some in-process pictures
Old 03-09-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MillerPKA
Agreed, Rolison it sounds like they do have some shady business ethics but such harsh comments aren't really necessary, especially since you have no first hand knowledge
Well if it looks like a duck............

When all I have searched about them was this kind of crap, not just on toyota forums but on pirate, nissan, chevy, and heep forums. He tends to not be biased towards the ones he screws over, he likes to cover his basis and give everyone a taste.

I am not dumb enough (no offense to op), to deal with KMN, if he was a legit outfit i would like to run his rear bumper, i think its a really good price for what it is (if made right, and on time).

Last edited by crolison; 03-09-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

Again with the jabs. Search or no search comments such as these should at least come from those directly affected by them. Its not as clear cut as you may think, you don't even have to search...just scroll up a few posts and you'll find someone who was pretty happy besides an extended wait...which all in all isn't all THAT extreme, Blake and another person from Fort Collins waited 4 months and some change to receive their CBIs. Let's try to be civil about our statements, otherwise I recommend you gripe to KMA directly.

Terminator what accessories did you end up adding to the bumper?

Last edited by MillerPKA; 03-10-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 AM

Well to everybody I will definitely post pics when I pick it up today and unpack it, I'll also post pics of the install when that starts as well as the body lift install. I still can't understand why nobody has a pic of the washers on the body bolt nuts yet, I'll fix that though.

As for researching KMA, I did exactly that and was in contact with Kyle for several months before I finally pulled the trigger. I am in NO WAY sticking up for him but he must have been under pressure for other things which affected communication with him. All I can say is if you're not local or within driving distance, pass on KMA.

Now, for options on this thing I bought it all except the antennae mount since mine is on my T-15. I got basically the exact bumper as pictured above but I had him flush mount the receiver for more clearance, jerry can holder, Hi-Lift mount, swing out tire carrier, license plate mount and light, shackle mounts.

My rig has yet to be offroad for anything more severe than a hwy maintenance access road so I'm thinking I'll be OK for fit. The two PO's didn't do anything other than drive it and the spare looks unused so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll definitely keep this thread updated though guys and write a review of KMA and my experience with them.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 AM

So how did it look? I would love to see the pics.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 AM

With the not so wonderful weather I haven't had a chance to get it installed but if it's nice this weekend that should change. Of the 8 bolts holding the factory hitch on 6 broke off so I'm going to have this bumper welded to the frame. I possess no welding equipment nor skills so I've been fortunate enough to become a member of Old North State Cruisers here in NC and those guys are about as cool and helpful as it gets.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
PB BLASTER AND A BFH MAN!!!! lol!!! Bummer about the mounting bolts, I have to modify the mounting brackets on my KMA because the factory shackles make this awesome clunk/grind sound when compressed. I won't get into the argument over the phone I had with KMA about this...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 AM

I swear the hitch must've been put on day one. Days of PB Blaster, seriously, I almost used an entire can over a weeks time. Two bolts came out with some elbow grease, 4 had the head break off with the pry bar and the two that had the freaking recovery hoops stripped on us and we had the hardest time cutting that thing off.

What's the issue with the shackles? Did you have them put D rings on or shackle mounts? I opted for shackle mounts, flush mount hitch, Jerry can, swing out tire mount, Hi-Lift mounts and license plate mount.
Got pics???
Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM

6 months? Wow, that is some serious patience right there.

Originally Posted by mountainryder00
The only problem with km I had was it took like 6 months to arrive.
Glad to hear you got your bumper. I was considering buying one depending on your experience. After reading this thread it seems like the best thing to do is find someone local to build it. And I doing exactly that!

Cant wait to see pics.

Last edited by Conatus; 03-24-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terminator
I swear the hitch must've been put on day one. Days of PB Blaster, seriously, I almost used an entire can over a weeks time. Two bolts came out with some elbow grease, 4 had the head break off with the pry bar and the two that had the freaking recovery hoops stripped on us and we had the hardest time cutting that thing off.

What's the issue with the shackles? Did you have them put D rings on or shackle mounts? I opted for shackle mounts, flush mount hitch, Jerry can, swing out tire mount, Hi-Lift mounts and license plate mount.
Got pics???
Got torch? Man that sucks!!!

No, no the leaf spring shackles!!!! I don't think you'll have that problem! I have the D-ring mounts, twin jerry can, hi-lift mount(which suck and interfer with the D-ring mounts and I've since relocated my jack to the inside on my rollbar-FIRST GEN's RULE!), cb mount(which is worthless because my spare tire overhangs and there's NO way to mount an antena there, so I made an extension piece out of flat bar), swing out mount(which is beefy and has servicable tapered roller bearings. However, there is no lock out on the swing arm to prevent it from smashing into the body corner. Once again, I came up with a self opening lock out hooyah thingy that works way better than the ratchet strap I used for years) and licence plate mount(which I subsequently threw away because it was a worthless floppy plastic POS thingy and I ended up mounting my licence plate on my jerry can mount on the seperator plate with a light to illuminate it at night).

But I digress...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 AM

depends on which year, model, brand of hitch, there are either 3 or 2 bolts on each rail. the nuts are NOT welded on to the frame because the frame rails are boxed tubing, you can't go inside the tubing and weld, even robots. the nuts were welded on to a 3/4" wide, long strip of steel, and can be moved around. so if you break the bolts, that's not a big boo boo if you have a welder. find a piece of steel plate, less than 1/8" thick, no more than 18" long is good enough, mark the bolt holes and drill 3 or 2 holes accordingly, tack weld the nuts on to the plate, there you have it.

i've known this first hand when i had my custom bumper built by Bruce. give me a call if you need more info.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Conatus
6 months? Wow, that is some serious patience right there.

Glad to hear you got your bumper. I was considering buying one depending on your experience. After reading this thread it seems like the best thing to do is find someone local to build it. And I doing exactly that!

Cant wait to see pics.
Just this thread?! I'm sure there's more on here and yes 6 months sounds average...unless you live in the same town as KMA. lol! I think I waited like three, four months.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Just this thread?! I'm sure there's more on here and yes 6 months sounds average...unless you live in the same town as KMA. lol! I think I waited like three, four months.
Yeah, I am sure there are. And 6 months is average? Why on earth would it take that long to build a bumper. Come on, even 3 or 4 seems like a bit much depending on work load of course.

I have a friend that is a metal fabricator/ artist and I talked him into helping me build one.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Conatus
Yeah, I am sure there are. And 6 months is average? Why on earth would it take that long to build a bumper. Come on, even 3 or 4 seems like a bit much depending on work load of course.

Not 6 months to build a bumper...6 months for KMA to build a bumper. Yes, anyone else can do it much quicker.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Well, 6 months is a little exagerated...lol! Who knows. Got a friend huh? Those are the best bumpers anyways, I think you get a better appreciation and satisfaction out of it!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM

I should have received mine in 4-6 weeks from what I was originally told. Then he had "rush orders" that they didn't bother to tell me about so whatever. Only when I filed the claim with Paypal and spoke with the local PD did the bumper arrive within a week. Then he didn't change the shipping address as we moved locations but it worked out b/c the shipper was about a mile from the new building so I can let that go. I'm hoping the install goes smooth this weekend if the weather holds out. I busted my butt getting the body lift on alone this past Sunday so I would have no excuse for the bumper not being installed.

My hitch had 4 bolts on each side holding it on, I was able to pull the metal thingy with the welded on bolts out also but I still have some bolts rusted in the frame. Like I said, I'll have the brackets welded to the frame then the bumper welded to the brackets and be done with it. Can't wait and hope it goes well.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Heck yeah! Good luck and post pics!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 PM

You got it, the bumper is lying up against my storage shed and the swing out parts and brackets are inside b/c I need to keep the moisture out of the swinging part where the bearings go. Right now pics won't do anything so I'll get them up when it's on, trust me!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:38 PM

so your saying the bumper will be a permanent install? wow, why can't they make the brackets bolt-on using the stock bolt locations then weld the the brackets to bumper.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:57 PM

They do but my problem is I have two broken bolts in the stock holes with no means of removing them. This is why I want to just weld it on, can always cut it off if need be. I'd prefer to have it bolt on but I don't have a way to drill them out. Not the proper tools but I'll see what I can figure out before the time comes.

Quick Reply: Put my DP on my Kennesaw Mountain Accessories rear bumper last night!