Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

[In Progress] - possibly the only Tacoma Satoshi mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
Dang... if only there was a function on the forum. Or a tech sction on the forum would be cool. But a would be cool 'cause then people could research questions and not have to wonder if there was a tech section. So, if there was a button, where would you put it? I wonder if it'd be a blinking yellow button? 'Cause without a function, then we'd have tons of threads with the same information, and that would really be a pain for people that did use a function.

huh... weird.

As practice... one of those things is clickable and has an answer behind it.
Classic. Save that post, and repost it when people fail to use the search.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:06 AM

Well now I have been branded as an idiot.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Schooler

Naw... we're just bustin your chops a little... I got it, and pretty much everyone here has got it one point or another. It's just that so many topics have been covered, there is very little information that can't be gleaned from using the search button. The Satoshi mod for example. Had you searched on it, you would have found an incredible amount of info on it. So, no you're not an idiot. Now, if you ask what size tires you can fit without lifting your truck........
Old 03-24-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
no its what gears do i need for XXX size tires.!!!

is it me? or can you hardly see the mesh grill? looks like the T O Y O T A is kinda floating out in mid air with a bunch of ugly radator behind it.... (could just be the lighting)

Last edited by snap-on; 03-24-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that too....

Ok, back to the point: Great work, Peter!!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by snap-on
is it me? or can you hardly see the mesh grill? looks like the T O Y O T A is kinda floating out in mid air with a bunch of ugly radator behind it.... (could just be the lighting)
It's the lighting. In real-world condidtions it looks solid (at least mine does). It only seems see-through if you are shining light right into the grill (where you would see the Rad no matter what your grill is).
Old 03-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by snap-on
no its what gears do i need for XXX size tires.!!!

Yeah, in retrospect I should have picked a thicker patterned metal for the grill. The nice thing about this mod on the 4runners is that you have 60% of the space that the Tacoma does so there's less light coming in. The choice of paint color doesn't help either as it just melds with the background. I may redo this and go with a silver-ish color.

If you look at the picture with the primer on it you'll see how thin the metal is.
EDIT:

Here it is:

Beau - unfortunately the lighting is going to be a factor during the day and the night. During the day so much light comes in that you can see everything. During the evening it's so dark that you can't see the metal :pat:

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 03-24-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Beau - unfortunately the lighting is going to be a factor during the day and the night. During the day so much light comes in that you can see everything. During the evening it's so dark that you can't see the metal :pat:
Sucks. With mine the only time I see the radiator real well is if I shine a light in there or take a picture with flash.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oly884
Classic. Save that post, and repost it when people fail to use the search.
Oh, I have it handy. Do you like the unsynch'd anigifs? I had fun creating those.

Nah... like CJ said, we're (partly) messin' with ya'.

Way Back When (like just a couple of years ago) when YT had well under 1000 members, people would ask common questions all the time and they'd get answers each time. But what's happened since is that when someone does try to search about gear ratios, you get a gajiilion hits full of non-sequitors and it's very hard to find concise answers.

I'm "guilty" of spending a lot of time answering common questions - which means I'm also guilty of over populating the forum with information. Like I say, there's good and bad in that.

So, in the last couple of weeks, when I see stuff come up, I've tried a new approach - like droping the message I posted to you. But, it's not just a slam, it's got an answer buried in it for you, but I think it helps to get the point across.

So... WELCOME TO YT! And btw... there's a tech section and a search button that works okay.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:28 AM

Yeah I've used the search before. It's that flashy button on top you can type anything you want into the box.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I've used the search before. It's that flashy button on top you can type anything you want into the box.

That be the one... Sometimes you may have to do a bit of "rummaging" before you find what you're looking for, but I can't tell you what useful information I have gathered when looking for something else!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:48 AM

OK getting back to the topic of this thread.

I noticed that you did not use the supports behind the grill that are recommended in the writeup. How then did you attach the mesh?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Well, the grill on the Tacoma is very different from the one on the 4runner. I suppose if I really wanted to I could do that as well but I wanted to minimize how much metal was going to be drilled into. The Tacoma grill has, if I remember correctly, 9 points of attachment to the rest of the truck. I took advantage of the type of mesh I had and bolted it directly into some of the attachment points.

For example:
See the 2nd support/attachment 6 o'clock from the jack stand? That's where I drilled a hole and made an attachment point for the lower left/right of the grill.

The difficult part is that the Tacoma has two upper mounts that I couldn't sand away so I just ended up putting the mesh in FRONT of it instead of just hacking it off. There's a more elegant way to do it, I know there is but this project has been sitting around for SO long that I just wanted to get it done, you know?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
"My fellow yoters.. I hope that someday, in this plane of existance, that we will find a time where people seek and find the yellow blinking search button - and find it in their hearts to use it."
Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
....Brings a tear to my eye, and glimmer of hope to my heart!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Just for the record - this is one of the attachment points for the mesh to the grill:

Over on the left side:

and here's the close-up: