Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Problems starting to surface?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like it just needs to get tuned. So when are you going to go see Gadget?
Old 08-11-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the URD kit got installed, did the fuel pump get installed as well?

EDIT: Another thought is... Are you SURE that the connections from the FTC1 to the ECU are correct and tight?

One thing that continues to gnaw at me in the back of my mind is that I'm pretty sure you told us that the mechanic that did the URD work had never done anything like this (i.e., piggyback fuel/timing controller) before... right?

If this forum has taught anyone anything about piggyback units in our trucks it's that they can be REAL interesting to install for the first-timer. The "infamous SMT thread" has many many pages of people that had issues - 90% of them were resolved and folks are now happy. The FTC1 is very similar in installation and function. If the guy hadn't done it before, it's quite possible that there's something wrong there.

I had similar symptoms with my SMT piggyback during the first week.

Last edited by midiwall; 08-11-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
It sounds like it just needs to get tuned. So when are you going to go see Gadget?
August 21st. Hopefully it's still on for him.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
When the URD kit got installed, did the fuel pump get installed as well?

EDIT: Another thought is... Are you SURE that the connections from the FTC1 to the ECU are correct and tight?

One thing that continues to gnaw at me in the back of my mind is that I'm pretty sure you told us that the mechanic that did the URD work had never done anything like this (i.e., piggyback fuel/timing controller) before... right?

If this forum has taught anyone anything about piggyback units in our trucks it's that they can be REAL interesting to install for the first-timer. The "infamous SMT thread" has many many pages of people that had issues - 90% of them were resolved and folks are now happy. The FTC1 is very similar in installation and function. If the guy hadn't done it before, it's quite possible that there's something wrong there.

I had similar symptoms with my SMT piggyback during the first week.

I looked at the wiring diagrams when I accepted the truck back from the shop. I shall double check just to be sure.
The mechanic I FIRST took it to said he had never done anything like that, And that was one of the factors that made me feel uncomfortable and seek a new mechanic. The URD kit has been in for awhile a few weeks. I'm thinking That when I unplugged the battery it may have reset, or the ECU reset and is re-learning again with that FTC on.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
Almost $6,000 that I wasted and it still does not perform to even close what I thought it may be.
I'm in the same boat as you.. Nowhere near as impressed as I thought I'd be after dropping all that money.

Sounds like you're getting misfires though. My truck did the exact same thing after I cleaned the engine. Dealer found water in one of the spark plugs.

Last edited by nags; 08-11-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nags
Sounds like you're getting misfires though. My truck did the exact same thing after I cleaned the engine. Dealer found water in one of the spark plugs.
Wouldn't the water just burn off though? I drive mainy highway miles, and I just don't want it popping up when I'm trying to merge. It usually clears up then it'll come back. What did they do for the water in the spark plug?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:02 PM

they just dried it out.. I went like 90 miles before the problems started.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nags
they just dried it out.. I went like 90 miles before the problems started.
Did they pull they pull all plugs to dry them? I am guessing yes. Did they use compressed air?

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 08-11-2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

I chanced it today and took it to the dealer.
They did what they had to do and the results came back as a bad first cat.
I feel so much better now. Turns out the cats and ecus are covered under an 8 year warranty, so no money out of pocket.
Thanks for all the posts on this matter.
I am shooting for the 21st of August to go see Gadget and see what wonders he can work and finally make her perform like she should.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:48 AM

Hmmm... a "bad cat"? Short of the insides falling apart and plugging the pipe, how does a cat "go bad"?

Did they happen to define what "bad" is? Did they fix it? Is it running better?
Old 08-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

hey if they replace the cat .. try to keep the old one .. gadget has been looking for one for a very long time. I'm sure he'd be happy to get one, b/c its illegal to sell a used one
Old 08-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmm... a "bad cat"? Short of the insides falling apart and plugging the pipe, how does a cat "go bad"?

Didn't explain what was wrong, They just ordered a new one on their dime.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
hey if they replace the cat .. try to keep the old one .. gadget has been looking for one for a very long time. I'm sure he'd be happy to get one, b/c its illegal to sell a used one
If they give me a hard time about it, is there anything I can say that might make them give it to me. If they ask why do you want it, what shall I say in other words.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:05 PM

You want it because you paid for it when you paid for the truck.
Seriously though... It IS yours, and they won't get any value from having it. It's not like it can be rebuilt or has any scrap value.

When the new one comes in, and you schedule the repair appointment, then be sure to make them note that you want the old parts. Then when you actually drop it off, make sure to request it again, and watch the guy write it down on the ticket.

When they hand you back the keys, ask them _again_ and when the dude (probably) says "oh, umm.. I don't know if they saved it", make them go get it.

Hang out in the service area, holding your keys (so that your rig is blocking other people), until they get it for you.

fwiw... I'd be surprised if this fixes what you're seeing. It doesn't feel right. But, it's their game now and you have to play through this round with them.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

You want it because you paid for it when you paid for the truck.
Seriously though... It IS yours, and they won't get any value from having it. It's not like it can be rebuilt or has any scrap value.
I worked with a guy who said they do have a scrap value because of the platinum inside.
I only has almost 26,000 on the clock as well. I take it this is not too common. He said it was because of the S/C and headers. I wonder what they will say when they finally find the URD kit. KNOCK ON WOOD.
Being that I am on the URD kit, does anyone know of anyone that has cut all the wires on the FTC and used harnesses for a quick disconnect for dealer warranty reasons?

***Just a note Gadget is looking for a cat from a single cat system***
Old 08-12-2004, 04:51 PM

Yep, the CC does contain platinum. It is the catalyst in the oxidation reaction of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide. CC's also contain palladium, which is expensive in its own right (about $215/oz).
Old 08-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by joker
Yep, the CC does contain platinum. It is the catalyst in the oxidation reaction of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide. CC's also contain palladium, which is expensive in its own right (about $215/oz).

I guess he was right. He said he get a free $50 everytime he gets on.
be it on the side of the road or from anywhere, but they must be in a certain condition.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:46 AM
Contributing Member

They reset the lights and it is running well. They said that they might come back on though.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

The cat turned out being in stock at Toyota. The service dude tried to stop me as I was pulling out Friday to tell me they already had it.
They replaced the first cat. Good thing it was on their dime cause they showed the price to me and it was $1,050. And that was for just the first cat.
I started on my way home with no problems, went to get some brew, and when I started her back up I noticed maybe a minute late that the lights were on again. So I went back to the dealer and they said bring it by Monday.
As pissed as I am already I went and purchased an OBDII scanner. I hooked it up and the codes were reading bank 1 is lean and two other codes I have yet to decipher.
As I was parking it, my neighbor came out and messed with it a little and reset the codes as I found out as I was leaving. But before that I was able to chirp the tires between second and third gear. (Some hope for me yet)
But all in all she's running fine now with the codes reset and hopefully Gadget takes me this coming weekend to tune it all out properly.
I shall keep you posted.
Just some mixed emotions that I have towards all this that is happening.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 08-13-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

The other two codes have something to do with the MAF. Just updating.

Quick Reply: Problems starting to surface?