Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Power Steering Problems...I think.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Problems...I think.

Today I woke up early to go run and when i started the car i heard this unusual noise that i could not identify. I was in a hurry and had no time to try and diagnose it but it seemed to be fine once i arrived at my destination. On the way back i picked up some oil and an oil filter and chaged my oil around 2 an had no apparent problems until tonight. After watching my UT Vols get upset by the Tigers I had to move my car to let my parents company out and it seemed like the car had its emergency brake on and took way too much pedal to get it to go. Once it caught the car was kinda jumpy and i could hear what i think is the low power steering level with the wheel being stiff and the awkward accompanying noise. The car was really of wack and reverse had the same accelaration issue and steering issue. I lost my power steering cap 4 months ago and lost alot of fluid but bought a new cap (for 25$ from the stealer since no universal cap worked) and filled it back up. About a month ago i noticed the same sound coming back when i was doing slow maneuvering in a parking lot or something and turning the wheel so i topped the power steering fluid off again and thought itd be fine. Well now its back and im afraid i have a leak or something cause the caps fine and the fluid seems to be soaking the passenger side shock. What the heck should i do? Dealer...more fluid every time it does this...something else? I know this isn't normal and I thank you in advance for your help. My mom gave me the line, "You won't be getting any modifications to your car if it isn't going to be working as it is." so i really must get this worked out so the mods can start. Thanks again, young Andrew
Old 10-05-2003, 02:26 AM
Contributing Member

You probably have a leak somewhere since you are low on fluid now & then and you actually see power steering fluid where it doesn't belong...

get under the car with a good flashlight or work light. If you don't have jack stands, try driving one side of the truck onto a tall curb and that way you could get under it...

and look to see where that leak is coming from.

after you determine if and where there is a leak, seek more advice.

good luck

Old 10-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you've got one of the PS pumps that uses Dexron ATF instead of regular PS Fluid and you've added a substatial amount of PS Fluid, then you're probably going to get leaks. The seals are made to stay soft and pliable with ATF. PS Fluid shrinks them and allows the fluid to escape, spraying everything under the hood, smelling, causing belts to slip, etc. If this is the case, flush the system soon and fill it with the proper fluid. The resevoir cap should tell you which fluid to use. If the new one doen't say, check the owners manual.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:35 PM

My power steering is also leaking (it leaked all its fluid this weekend just sitting in the drive way), but I don't care anymore.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:36 AM

I found out that it was not my PS that was my problem but my tranny fluid. I put in two quarts and its still barely registering on the dipstick. Im an idiot and am resting the car till i can properly treat it. Thanks for the help.