Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Post your stealership stories!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Post your stealership stories!

Well, here it is. The official place to tell the stories of run-ins with the Toyota dealership. Whether it be ridiculous pricing, poor service, or just plain stupidity, let's hear all! Not that this is meant to be reflective on all Toyota employees, only a place to vent frustrations.

I'll start with a mild one. So I think I'm gettin a good deal. This guy says he'll sell me a scooped hood for $145. Well, that's not including the scoop hardware and pieces nor the heatshield, only the big metal piece. Not to mention painting. Upon the 35,000 mile check-up, I ask about the other pieces. Two were around $12 -- no problem. The third comes up as $120! WHAT?! I am paying almost as much for 3 little pieces as the actual hood piece itself! Well, so much for that idea...

Zach
Old 04-29-2003, 08:10 PM

50 bucks for new gaskets for my fuel injectors.... i was pissed
Old 04-29-2003, 08:21 PM

Back in the day when I didn't do any maintenance or know how to do it to my turbo runner, I brought it in for a tune-up and they were also going to lube the hubs for me. Well, it turns out that the mech. told me that my right hub was busted. I asked him how it's busted, and he just says after awhile it breaks. I was quoted some rediculuous price to get a new manual hub. I decline at the time, since I wasn't preapared for that kind of cash. A few months later my friend wanted to go wheelin' and I tell him I can't cuz my 4 Wheel drive doesn't work cuz of the busted hub. He decided to take the hub off/show me how to do it. It turns out that the sprocket(piece attached to the end of spring that locks the axle shaft) is missing. I'm wondering how the heck does something like that break? I know it can't just fall off. So, I'm thinking they( the dealer) took it out just so that I'd buy a new one....Of course I'm not sure they did this, but why would someone just steal the sprocket??? That really pissed me off...Worse part was I still had to buy a whole hub from a junk yard since they wouldn't just sell me that sprocket.

To tell you the truth, that's when I decided to start learning how to do things myself so I know it's done right and I don't get screwed.

Salue
Old 04-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Funny...

My dealership has been pretty good to me...
I took mine in today to get my parking light fixed (under warranty) and also to pick up some coolant 'cause I was low.

I got home and popped the hood to refill and noticed that they topped off all my fluids.

Sorry to see that you guys are all surrounded by crooks :pat:
Old 04-29-2003, 09:20 PM

ouch guys, i don't think i even know where the yota dealership is located over here! don't really have any horror stories, ever since i took my rig in for a new clutch to a local ma and pop shop and got the $475 bill (actually pretty reasonable) i started working on all of my own stuff, i hated the idea that another guy had to do something for me. along with the fact that he wanted that much in labor... ryan
Old 04-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

They wanted about $364.00 for the wheel well trim that is on some of the SR5 models without fender flares. Since I took my flares off, I had to do something about the holes. Some little black plugs and a dab of Duco cement and we're back in business. All of under $10. Mr T pity's the fools at the stealership.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:34 PM

Tranny mount for my diesel 4x4 from toyota was well over $300. I cant remember exactly how much but it was freakin insane for a rubber mount. Found one at canadian tire for $31.
I thought my glow plug solenoid was going. Its just an ordinary run of the mill solenoid. It just has toyota sticker on it.$200+ at toyota.It was just a broken wire. I could probably come up with more stories but i think i blocked them out. I have owned toyotas for more than 10 years so i avoid going there like the plague. Sometimes you have no choice.
Even though toyota parts are the biggest rip off ever. I still buy toyota . You can usually find parts at a wreckers.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:35 PM

My stealership has been pretty good to me... $180 for a decent tune up, $130 to fix an oil leak, they did dick me around on the little stereo trim piece I ordered, I specifically made sure it was the 1 DIN cubby hole, they said 2-3 days and it would be in, 3 weeks later they had the wrong part. They reordered the right one and it took another 2 weeks.....cost $15 freaking bucks, too!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

stealership

Celica related,
I burnt a valve on my 93 celica and had toyota do a valve job $600. US dollars less than 600 miles later a piston melted down (following toyota's recomended break in directions) toyota dealer told me it was my fault.
blamed it on the oil (i use mobil 1 tri synthetic)
blamed it on the gas ( i only ran super plus)
blamed it on my driving style ( they never even saw me drive exceppt into the parking lot there)
cost... $400 for a used engine that i found
$1700 to pull the old engine (that they had already pulled to check out the damage and then install the new one)

all at my cost when thay should have waranteed the repair....

but the celica is running great and looks sweet for a 10 year old car!

Check it out! >http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/087david.htm
david
Old 04-30-2003, 06:04 AM
Banned

Whenever I go in and order parts by number the counter guy always wants to interrogate me about what I drive so he can look up and cross reference stuff to see if that part goes on my truck. Examples, Diff breather fittings, electric locker gasket. Neither part belongs on my truck according to the counter guy so he tries to not sell them to me. If i'm in a good mood I explain why I need them. If im in a bad mood I tell him to sell me the parts and don't worry about what i'll do with them.

Beyond that I do not deal with the dealer.

I think it might be fun to go in and pretend that I want to buy a new Taco or 4Runner and then give them a hard time about things like double cab Tacos only having automatic transmition while extra cab and standard cab can have 5 speed manuals. I'm just curious about what reason they would give. Haven't gotten around to that yet.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$140 for the _MANUAL_ AM/FM antenna assembly (fender base mount and mast). $31 for the mast alone.

Firestik 3' AM/FM mast: $15; aftermarket base with cheap mast: $9.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

I pulled into Right Toyota in Scottsdale to pick up a part in my 96 Runner. They didnt have the part. So, on my way out, while in my "new" 96 Runner, I made the mistake of asking the smoking, swarming, malicious, money hungry, disrespectful car salesmen for directions to the other dealership.

They had the nerve to offer me $4000 on trade for my 96 Runner that I just paid $16K for. They wouldnt even give me directions. All they did was harass me and try to get me to buy a new Runner.

What is the matter with these guys?
Old 04-30-2003, 07:38 AM

Recently I went to the toyota dealership to see how much the jack,rod,lever and wrench would be for my 4runner. After telling them many times what I needed,they quoted me $262.00 w/taxes. I was completly shocked and said thankyou and left. He stoped me and said if you prepay today for the items that he could have them for me tomorrow. I said no thanks and left. I went straight to the toyota savage yard and found all the pieces i needed for a very good price. Thats the last time I even waste my time and ask for prices at the stealership!!!!
Old 04-30-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took my 3.0 in for the recall. Took 2 weeks longer than they told me. Charged me quite a bit to repair the stripped threads for bolting up my headers, which was fine... I expected that from them. What I did not expect was they charged me $10 a spark plug for 6 new spark plugs because they said once they put everything back together, it wouldn't start. I raised holy hell with everyone up to the General Manager, telling them that it started fine when I brought it in. The G.M. told me the best he could do was offer me a free oil change. Even to this day, I wish I could have sunk to his level to tell him what I really wanted to say about his little dealership. By the way, if you ever wind up in Vicksburg, MS... swing by Hopkins Toyota and tell them how much they suck.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ben95m
Recently I went to the toyota dealership to see how much the jack,rod,lever and wrench would be for my 4runner. After telling them many times what I needed,they quoted me $262.00 w/taxes. I was completly shocked and said thankyou and left. He stoped me and said if you prepay today for the items that he could have them for me tomorrow. I said no thanks and left. I went straight to the toyota savage yard and found all the pieces i needed for a very good price. Thats the last time I even waste my time and ask for prices at the stealership!!!!
Let me guess what the junkyard wanted... $50?

Replacement Toyota parts prices make me How can that $262 possibly be justified? Its just a friggin bottle jack for god's sake! $10 for one spak plug?? That same exact plug is about $1.50 at Auto Zone. Bastards.

Last edited by jx94148; 04-30-2003 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:06 AM

Speaking of Spark Plugs... I went in to have a tune-up done and told them that I just put new botch +4's in and they don't need to change them. Well, guess what they did, changed them. The tech put them in the garbage. I had to talk to the GM and he also offered 4 free oil changes. This didn't appel to me at the time seeing that I was working at Grease Monkey. It took me an hour before I got my "old" plugs back. They had to buy a new set of botch +4's. They didn't put them in for me, but when I got home, I changed them and put the other plugs in my tool box. Stupid Dealer...:pat:
Old 04-30-2003, 09:33 AM

I purchased a brand new 1993 T100 at a local dealership, basic model with 4WD and air, no other options. I can't remember the exact terminology but the sticker said something about being "radio-ready". I asked the salesman what this meant and he said "all you have to do is stick a radio in it, it's pre-wired and speakers are installed". That works for me, after some negotiating I sign the papers and that's that. When I come back the next day to pay and pick up the truck I notice that it doesn't have the antennae mast ( the mount is there just no mast). When I inquired about that not meeting MY definition of "radio-ready" they informed me that they were sorry but if I wanted one I would have to buy it. I just walked out, got in my old truck and left. After ignoring numerous messages from them that day, I finally got the one I was waiting for...please come and get your truck, your antennae has been installed!! I think the thing that burnt them the most was I never got loud or obnoxious, just walked out the door.

Old 04-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

when i was shopping around for my 4runner last summer

something to the effect of: "toyota doesn't make the sport edition in 4 wheel drive"
Old 04-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

I hate them! I've a few! New Alternator with vacuum pump 1800 euro ($1850) got old one fixed for 250, New cylinder head 1700 euro, got a genuine one at a local engineers for 800 euro, Little switch for electric mirrors 170 euro, fixed mine for nothing. Outer CV boot 50 euro, aftermarket one 10 euro. Need i go on. I feel sick now
Old 04-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

They messed up my headgasket job and now I have a miss that won't go away. I've been back numerous times and they still haven't fixed it. Sometimes I get a hesitation when first accelerating. My timing was way off when I first got my car back. I've replaced my TPS and done a tuneup and its still messed up. My car ran perfect before I gave it to them. Now its all f%$ked up .

It's about to go to another dealership that has won the President's Award (I think that is what it is called) three years in a row. I hope they won't try and screw me. I hope they fix it and that it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

I just want my car to run good. :cry:

Quick Reply: Post your stealership stories!