Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

please HELP! im about to burn it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please HELP! im about to burn it!

Alright 98 4runner limited 4wd

Bought the rig a few weeks ago and it gave me no problems. Woke up one am last week to go hunting in it, and battery was to weak. It had been getting weak, no big deal. I replaced and made a really dumb moVe, I hooked it up reverse of just a second. Horn and lamps came on scared the hell out of me, and I snatched it off.

Hunting trips over, time to fix. 100amp fusible link was blown, and a couple other fuses. Replaced them. Now it turns over, uas spark and fuel, BUT WONT START!! Checked the time, and its perfect. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I would double check all possible fuses, both in the engine compartment as well as under the dash.

Andreas
Old 11-03-2015, 04:43 AM

Also, I pulled a ecu out of a running 4runner thats # was 1 didgit off than mine. The last number was a 2 and my last digit is a 1. It plugged right in but runner still wont start. Also swapped yellow box that controls relays in driver kick panel, that was 1 digit off, same outcome.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 AM

All fuses cleared per snap on test light.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:45 AM

All electrical works like it should, besides my head unit...
Old 11-03-2015, 05:13 AM

Ani theft just came to mind, I do not have chiped key, or remote for rig. Could have to do with that?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see any info about any trouble codes. Did you check if any are being generated?

Did you GOOGLE search the part number you have, to see if the computer is cross-compatible? Could be your issue right there.

But I'd still check for damage from the reverse polarity. Bad relay somewhere maybe.

Pretty sure no chips in keys in 98 though.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by coleypull15
Alright 98 4runner limited 4wd

Bought the rig a few weeks ago and it gave me no problems. Woke up one am last week to go hunting in it, and battery was to weak. It had been getting weak, no big deal. I replaced and made a really dumb moVe, I hooked it up reverse of just a second. Horn and lamps came on scared the hell out of me, and I snatched it off.

Hunting trips over, time to fix. 100amp fusible link was blown, and a couple other fuses. Replaced them. Now it turns over, uas spark and fuel, BUT WONT START!! Checked the time, and its perfect. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Have you checked your starter, coil pack, ignition coil, alternator as these could contribute to your issue?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:29 AM

I repaced relays just to be sure, does not throw a single code. Ive looked and looked for damged wires, and found nothing. I figured since 100amp alt fuse blew and did its job it would have saved most components.. keep it coming fellas, thanks.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:30 AM

Well it turns over fine, and fires good so I figured those things wouldn't be a issue.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll give you $500 for it. I suspect it's still a fuse you haven't found, actually.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:12 AM

it wouldn't suprise me but ive checked and checked the dang fuses.. im gonna replace the control module over behind the MAF on top of the fender well and see what that does. Then I reckon ill check the fuses again
Old 11-03-2015, 09:14 AM

Im in Chelsea alabama if anyone is wondering
Old 11-03-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I wonder if it melted the ECM grounds enough to cause problems.

Just how are you testing fuel ??

Injectors Firing??

Keep looking either a open circuit or a open coil in a relay
Old 11-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have spark, fuel and compression, in time, you will kick over. So one of the above is wrong. How did you confirm spark? How did you confirm fuel? Did you try a shot of ether into the plenum? Just to see if it kicks? (I'll give you a pass on compression, cause that hard to mess up with a wiring crossup.)

We need to troubleshoot this, not look aimlessly for blown fuses and relays.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:45 PM

I checked spark, by putting a plug in turning it over, and watching it. Yes I did spray it, and nothing. Only time it sounds like it hits it after its sat overnight, right when you first turn it over it sounds like hits a little. You can smell fuel, and checked pressure. Rig ran perfect before I ran reverse polarity through it.. half asleep dark and different battery. Makes it that much worst when you screw it up kind of.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
If you have spark, fuel and compression, in time, you will kick over. So one of the above is wrong. How did you confirm spark? How did you confirm fuel? Did you try a shot of ether into the plenum? Just to see if it kicks? (I'll give you a pass on compression, cause that hard to mess up with a wiring crossup.)

We need to troubleshoot this, not look aimlessly for blown fuses and relays.

Thanks, and yes I agree, I will try anything yall come up with at this point. Rig ran perfect before I ran reverse polarity through it half asleep in the dark with a different battery. Seems to make it even worse when you caused the problem. Driving me crazy. Been working on it a week.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coleypull15
Thanks, and yes I agree, I will try anything yall come up with at this point. Rig ran perfect before I ran reverse polarity through it half asleep in the dark with a different battery. Seems to make it even worse when you caused the problem. Driving me crazy. Been working on it a week.
Well, if it won't hit on the ether, I gotta think spark. I'd check all six plugs for spark, and look carefully at the plugs as you pull them. They should have some fuel on them if gas is getting to the cyls and they aren't firing. Make sure they aren't fouled.

One plug is not enough to start it. In fact, three is not enough, as miswired plugs have proven more than once. So let's check some more. I assume you have not touched the plug wires at any time in this story? Just want to rule that out...

Last edited by TheDurk; 11-04-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Only touched the one plug wire I checked, driver side front cylinder. Working on it now. When I turned it over 1st thing this am it hit a little like it always does after it sits all night, and gets my hopes up. I swapped a conrol module out of a running 4runner and wouldnt crank. Would it have to be grounded with the bolts to work? I just plugged it in and turned her over to no avail. About to pull plugs one at a time and check like you said.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 AM

Also tried relay integration. "Yellow box" it makes a little click when I turn it over.

Quick Reply: please HELP! im about to burn it!