Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Pinion bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdenesha34
Thanks for all the help everyone! Want to let ya know I appreciate the help!

I've quoted prices all across the US, $650 is cheapest price so far (Cali), not including shipping. $900 for one here in NY.

Its looking like a possible rebuild.
The nice thing about the rebuild is that you KNOW that the critical components are new and have full life left, so that is worth more than an unknown diff.

Of course a used diff (setup by Toyota) you know was set up right, whereas the shop could screw up the rebuild. I know one guy on here blew a new set of gears because the shop didn't set it up right. You just don't know if a used diff has seen abuse.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Nelson, you have some good points.. If I decide to go w/ a rebuild it won't be through the stealership!

Dealership just quoted me $3300!

$1700 for the diff. work to replace the bearings, and then on top of that they said that I needed to replace the diff case because the entire thing was rusting/rotted out. I've sprayed my undercarriage w/ the rustproofing for the past 3 years too.

I'll take a pic and poste it to see what you guys think of it.

$3300 just isn't in my budget! Stealership is an understatement!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 AM

Nelson, you have some good points.. If I decide to go w/ a rebuild it won't be through the stealership!

Dealership just quoted me $3300!

$1700 for the diff. work to replace the bearings, and then on top of that they said that I needed to replace the diff case because the entire thing was rusting/rotted out. I've sprayed my undercarriage w/ the rustproofing for the past 3 years too.

I'll take a pic and poste it to see what you guys think of it.

$3300 just isn't in my budget! Stealership is an understatement!
Man, $3300 is outrageous. You can get a whole new diff setup from ECGS for probably less than half that.

It would take some serious rust to make your carrier non-functional. I had to swap out my whole rear axle because it had rusted through, but my diff is still in functional order. It is rusty for sure, but it was smooth as butter right up until I pulled it out. I plan on cleaning it up, painting it, and putting it back in.

See if you can find a shop that can setup a diff and see how much they will charge with an order of new gears and bearings. Should be significantly less than $3300.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 AM

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...products_id=38

I just had my rear rebuilt. The diff guys said they knew what they were doing and I really do think they did. But they just had a real hard time getting my diff set up.

If this is your daily driver I suggest buying the built elocker thrid member from inchworm and either installing it yourself or taking the built thrird from inchowrm to you diff guy for install. You could also call Randy's Ring and Pinion or East Coast Gear and see if they can build a elocked third for you.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by badattitude
http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...products_id=38

I just had my rear rebuilt. The diff guys said they knew what they were doing and I really do think they did. But they just had a real hard time getting my diff set up.

If this is your daily driver I suggest buying the built elocker thrid member from inchworm and either installing it yourself or taking the built thrird from inchowrm to you diff guy for install. You could also call Randy's Ring and Pinion or East Coast Gear and see if they can build a elocked third for you.
So did they finally get you fixed up? What was the final cost to you? From your other thread, it sure didn't seem like they knew what they were doing.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:29 PM

like I said if you can ship it I have a guy locally that can set it up for 175.00 plus parts. From what i read on ZUKs site shippings roughly 60 each way so your looking at around 6-700 total, he does good work. if you want i can give you his number.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by c0ugar69
like I said if you can ship it I have a guy locally that can set it up for 175.00 plus parts. From what i read on ZUKs site shippings roughly 60 each way so your looking at around 6-700 total, he does good work. if you want i can give you his number.
It appears ZUK has retired: http://www.gearinstalls.com/
Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 AM

yea thats what the web site says, I have a friend locally that can do it. he worked for a place here locally that did nothing but diffs and axles so he knows his stuff. that price is if it needs gears, if not then it would be more like 5-600 total.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yea thats what the web site says, I have a friend locally that can do it. he worked for a place here locally that did nothing but diffs and axles so he knows his stuff. that price is if it needs gears, if not then it would be more like 5-600 total.
Oh gotcha, good to know.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
So did they finally get you fixed up? What was the final cost to you? From your other thread, it sure didn't seem like they knew what they were doing.

Yes, I finally got it taken care of. $522 out the door for the labor, tax and an axel seal. That was a discounted price becasue of the trouble. They wanted $700 at first.

No, the process was not plesent. I was pissed. They had my truck for 10 days total and I was not prepared to let them have it for more than one day. The story changed every day. I know they have been in the diff business for 30 years so...and they said they had experiance with Toyotas.

The issue was they didn't want to use the R&P that was in my truck. It had a slight "herringbone" pattern they were concerned about. In the end, I made them use it and it was fine. It's not a cadillac, right. The fact they did'nt just reuse the OE R&P on the first day casued all the problems. I've had it about 6 weeks and 1,500 miles and so far, so good. Feels tight, no leaks but my fingers are still crossed.

Love the TrueTrac!

It would have been better if I just bought a built thrid off the internet. It would have all new parts. The only new parts in mine are the bearings. The TT was used. So I got burned, but live and learn.

Total cost for me was $1295 including the RP I didn't need, rental cars, overnight shipping, extra pinion nut ect. Not a total waste of money but for the same I could have had all new parts.

Last edited by badattitude; 03-29-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM

on top of that they said that I needed to replace the diff case because the entire thing was rusting/rotted out. I've sprayed my undercarriage w/ the rustproofing for the past 3 years too.

This, in particular, is why I think the OP should order a all new third online. if the diff housing is rotten he needs a new one. Hope the axle housing is ok!
Old 05-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Hey all, so I talked to a few guys around my area.. Turns out it wasn't my diff that was rusted out, its the axle housing. Local guy in town thinks its just the bearings that need to be replaced and said he could do it for $800... but now the axle housing is leaking pretty bad so I've got to replace that I think. Anyone know any places where I can purchase one? Found a couple online, $1200 and $900...

http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...a61&seq_num=75

I think that one comes with the diff.

And then this place too..

http://www.toyotapartsales.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

Anyways, any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Just found this on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-99...ff6e#vi-ilComp

Says it will fit makes and models w/ these options...

TACOMA 00-02 4x4, w/diff lock, w/ABS, 4.10 ratio (6 cyl)

The thing is I don't think that my truck has ABS.. but everything else is the right fit. Is ABS a deal breaker?
And if I buy this one on ebay then I do still need to buy that kit from Inchworm?

Last edited by mdenesha34; 05-07-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 PM

i would check out the local wrecking yards for the housing. the bearing change should only be 200-300 not 800. i didnt even pay that for a regear. get a housing used from a wrecking yard and then take the diff and have a new setup kit put in. at the most with the cost of the kit which is 250 from marlin it should be about 450-500
Old 05-07-2011, 04:35 PM

What is the address for marlin? And what about inchworm that was suggested earlier..

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...oducts_id=1134

That one is only $185. That's what I am looking for, correct?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:49 PM

And what were your thoughts on buying that assembly on ebay? Cost $450 including shipping, and then whatever I have to pay for labor.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 PM

yes on the setup kit. thats a good deal for 185. on the housing i think i would try and find something locally at the wreckers. I think my buddy found one with the elocker diff for not much more than 450. make sure the housing that you get is for a elocker. if nothing local then the ebay would do as long as its elocker rear.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 AM

Hey all, so I talked to a few guys around my area.. Turns out it wasn't my diff that was rusted out, its the axle housing. Local guy in town thinks its just the bearings that need to be replaced and said he could do it for $800... but now the axle housing is leaking pretty bad so I've got to replace that I think. Anyone know any places where I can purchase one? Found a couple online, $1200 and $900...

http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...a61&seq_num=75

I think that one comes with the diff.

And then this place too..

http://www.toyotapartsales.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

Anyways, any thoughts?
Just found this on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-99...ff6e#vi-ilComp

Says it will fit makes and models w/ these options...

TACOMA 00-02 4x4, w/diff lock, w/ABS, 4.10 ratio (6 cyl)

The thing is I don't think that my truck has ABS.. but everything else is the right fit. Is ABS a deal breaker?
And if I buy this one on ebay then I do still need to buy that kit from Inchworm?
If you don't care about ABS, then you can use an ABS housing and just leave the sensor in there, same for the other way around, except you'd just leave your sensors hanging, or remove them completely. You will have a dash light if you do that though.

As far as the axle assemblies, you need to be sure you get the right suspension setup. Tacoma's have leaf springs, and 4runners have coil springs. I don't see you mention which you have, but you can't put a taco housing on a 4runner, or the other way around without some serious welding (and make sure the diff ratio is the same or course).

yes on the setup kit. thats a good deal for 185. on the housing i think i would try and find something locally at the wreckers. I think my buddy found one with the elocker diff for not much more than 450. make sure the housing that you get is for a elocker. if nothing local then the ebay would do as long as its elocker rear.
This is correct, make sure you get a locked housing as they are different. You can modify a non-locked housing to accept a locked diff, but that will be some cutting and grinding work.

Those e-bay axle assemblies are in Canada. I have a feeling that the $200 shipping is within Canada only. I shipped an axle assembly and I couldn't find shipping within the US for $200, let alone across the border. That seems very suspicious to me.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 AM

I'm trying to get a hold of the company to get some details on the assembly... there has to be some catch if they are selling it that cheap. They have another assembly that would work also and they want $600 for that one. I'm contemplating just buying that rear on autotmix ( http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...a61&seq_num=75 ) for $1200 and just call it a day....

Last edited by mdenesha34; 05-09-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:28 PM

What are your guys thoughts on welding the leak on the axle housing and then fixing the diff. with the kit?

Quick Reply: Pinion bearing failure