Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Picking up 03 4Runner Monday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JGage
I don't have the Nav, just the 6 disc w/ 10 speakers.

It's sad, because I had a '93 Celica All-Trac Turbo that had a 10spkr system and it sounded great.

IMHO, the '03s JBL system doesn't stink... It's just not all that great. It isn't very dynamic or open and airy. Once again, IMHO, I think the problem can be directed to the amp/power source. Has any checked to see if there is a stand-alone power source or is it power via the head unit ? I'll have to go look.

Another sort of complaint I have... Though it's really petty and not a big deal... The gas gauge isn't calibrated worth a damn. It'll show 1/2 a tank @ 195mi... Then by 220 it'll be on 1/4. Anyone else getting this ?
Mine will stay above full for 60mi.
Yep.. same situation with the gas guage on mine. Its rather annoying. I wonder if there is a way to fix this.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every Toyota I've owned has had the same non-linear fuel gauge indication. Just a quirk to adjust to, nothing a dealer would dig into to "fix".

Interesting what some are suggesting to restore electronics operation, and is actually recommended in the owner's manual: Re-boot! I don't recall the page, and it doesn't say that exactly, but that's in effect what Toyota says for electronics-type problems. I hope they aren't using Windows ME!

No problems to report, but I only have 400 miles after a week. One minor annoyance is moonroof operation. The manual says it's one-touch tilt and slide, but the one touch only works on the slide cycle open/close. I have to hold the tilt button to complete the open/close cycle. Anyone else notice this?

Tripitz, look at what you started! This may be the longest thread on the board. Seems to be some interest in the 4th Gen. I don't know where they're all going, I've only seen one other on the road, a Titanium Sport Edition, but I'm in a semi-rural part of the county. My dealer is sold out, though, having placed "over 40" since intro. Nice to be exclusive for a little while.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BT17R
Nice to be exclusive for a little while.
hey I haven't seen a pic of it yet, got any?
Old 01-17-2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by BT17R
Every Toyota I've owned has had the same non-linear fuel gauge indication. Just a quirk to adjust to, nothing a dealer would dig into to "fix".

Interesting what some are suggesting to restore electronics operation, and is actually recommended in the owner's manual: Re-boot! I don't recall the page, and it doesn't say that exactly, but that's in effect what Toyota says for electronics-type problems. I hope they aren't using Windows ME!

No problems to report, but I only have 400 miles after a week. One minor annoyance is moonroof operation. The manual says it's one-touch tilt and slide, but the one touch only works on the slide cycle open/close. I have to hold the tilt button to complete the open/close cycle. Anyone else notice this?

Tripitz, look at what you started! This may be the longest thread on the board. Seems to be some interest in the 4th Gen. I don't know where they're all going, I've only seen one other on the road, a Titanium Sport Edition, but I'm in a semi-rural part of the county. My dealer is sold out, though, having placed "over 40" since intro. Nice to be exclusive for a little while.
Haha.. I'm a trouble maker on this board! Nothing like a long thread.... I really like this board though. The other boards I've dealt with tend to have a lot of flamers/etc. on it.

Congrats on picking up your new car! I haven't noticed anything with my moon roof as it is completely covered in snow and ice (and has been since I picked up my car).

As for them moving, I'm skeptical still. Granted, nothing ismoving, but in December the dealer didn't sell any for the first 3 weeks. Then, bam, they sold 9 or 10 of the 12 they had sitting on the lot. I do get a kick out of driving by their second lot every now and then.... they must have 25 Sequoias just sitting there. I wonder if they are moving any better than the 4Runners?

I haven't had any problems with the radio -everything works fine. I just want to pinpoint the cause of the rattle. It is not the roof rack unfortunately.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mohamed
hey I haven't seen a pic of it yet, got any?
One of these days I'll get my digicam fixed. Meanwhile, I'm using 35mm, but haven't taken any yet. It looks just like my avatar, but no rear spoiler.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tripitz
As for them moving, I'm skeptical still. Granted, nothing ismoving, but in December the dealer didn't sell any for the first 3 weeks. Then, bam, they sold 9 or 10 of the 12 they had sitting on the lot. I do get a kick out of driving by their second lot every now and then.... they must have 25 Sequoias just sitting there. I wonder if they are moving any better than the 4Runners?
Here in the Pacific Northwest, every other new vehicle sold is either an SUV or pickup. Then we had a slowdown from the West coast dockworkers strike that reduced inventories further. Toyota dealers are still rebuilding stock. My dealer says they're selling well. Must be, they still have a $3,995 above MSRP side sticker they begin negotiating from. Side stickers are the norm out here, though, and generally regarded (even by the salespeople) as a joke. No serious shopper pays much attention to them.

Sequoia's are another story. They must have a dozen in stock.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:27 PM

Ahhhhhh !! Just filled up, my AVG MPG is up to 15.96 ! Just coming up (about 75m) on 2000m. This is much better.

Ordered yesterday the AW Floormats from https://www.toyotaparts4u.com/ they had the best price+shipping than other sites... I have the Taupe/tan/oak and my mats were getting dirty quickly.

Last edited by JGage; 01-17-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by JGage
Ahhhhhh !! Just filled up, my AVG MPG is up to 15.96 ! Just coming up (about 75m) on 2000m. This is much better.

Ordered yesterday the AW Floormats from https://www.toyotaparts4u.com/ they had the best price+shipping than other sites... I have the Taupe/tan/oak and my mats were getting dirty quickly.

USAToyotaParts.com was $10 cheaper than them, i ordered from there, should be here tuesday. I need them...too much snow here...
Old 01-17-2003, 08:43 PM

Damn.. Only $2 cheaper for me. I let my orig order stand... TX for the link though.