Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Picked up a scooped hood, made it functional, Line-X'd it black *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hood scoop obstructing forward view was cited many times in the reviews of the 4th gen runners --- their scoops are bigger and i think the body proportions are a bit different - higher waist lines and lower glass --- more Touregish instead of Range Roverish.

But that is now where near the case in 3rd gens for the factory scoop - the bug deflector blocks more in my opinion ---- and the scoop just looks so badass! Other runners without a scoop just look wrong somehow...

BTW - I dig the LineX! - damn functional too - it won't be long until all body panels are LineX'd I'd bet.

Last edited by jimbob; 05-12-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

I dont think it works out. I think you met the limit of maximum items you can line-x on your truck. Cuz it looks like from a distance your rolling on a primed hood. But than again right now your going more for functionality rather than looks.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimbob
Other runners without a scoop just look wrong somehow...

And the guys that say they don't care about the scoop are LIARS!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver

oh yeah, once you go scoop, you never go back
Old 05-12-2007, 09:50 AM

I think it looks 100% like the "ricer" kids who paint their hoods black to get the carbon fiber look. I know this isn't the look you're going for, but in general that what I think the result looks like....but if YOU like it, thats all that matters.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Well,I'm not sure but i think his truck isn't his daily driver and built more for the trails where "ricer" boys fear to tread Yo!!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

NUH UHHH!! Only poo heads have scoops!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
I dont think it works out. I think you met the limit of maximum items you can line-x on your truck. Cuz it looks like from a distance your rolling on a primed hood. But than again right now your going more for functionality rather than looks.
I've only Line-X'd one thing: the hood.

I know what you mean though (I herculined the bumpers and trim). My hope is to go TJM (front) and maybe something custom down the road (rear). That will take my total Herc'd/Line-X'd items down to only a couple.

And yes, I don't really daily drive this thing at the moment. But come October that might change (unless I can score some hoopty Corolla or something - at which time I will Line-X the hood on that too j/k)
Old 05-14-2007, 10:04 AM

That si cool, but its gonna be tough to wax.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Initial testing reveals underhood temps to be 5 - 15 degrees cooler on average. My most surprising finding (I didn't expect this) is that the scoop appears to be most beneficial at idle. An example would be driving at a steady speed and coming to a stop at a stoplight. In six different cases I watched the temperature gauge, mounted at the top of the supercharger, drop anywhere from 3 to 15 degrees. This is excellent news because the scoop is alleviating one of my biggest problems, heat soak. Heat is literally pouring out of that opening once the force of the air going in is eliminated. To further test what I was seeing on the temp gauge I placed my hand near the opening after shutting it down. Sure enough, it darn near burned my hand!

This really surprised me, but it's excellent news. As far as when the vehicle is moving goes, it also appears to be working there as well. Temps were down about 5 to 10 degrees when the vehicle was in motion on average.

I still have more data to collect, but I am pretty certain that I can call this "functional scoop mod" a mod worth doing.

All testing was done in the afternoon with the outside temp at about 105 degrees, single-digit humidity, and light wind.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 05-14-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I too can say that the charge piping between my intercooler and throttle body is much cooler to the touch after I stop and pop the hood with the hood scoop opened up. I did not take before and after temps though. Good to hear that my "hand thermometer" was right!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

I still think it's a scoop for everything else to end up in your engine bay especially if you live in an area that sees a lot of moisture which might also lead to getting something wet you don't want to.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

I still think it's a scoop for everything else to end up in your engine bay especially if you live in an area that sees a lot of moisture which might also lead to getting something wet you don't want to.
Good point. I'm going to fab a piece of steel or aluminum the same shape as the opening, hot glue 3 magnets to it, paint it black , then use it as a block-off plate in rainy weather. The stock "screen" in the scoop is metal I believe (and I left that in place) so my block-off plate should just attach itself to that screen.

Also, Ric runs his open all the time and has never had a problem (he's from CO too as you may know).
Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah,the water issues might be overated.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in the Seattle area where we see our share of rain. I have had my scoop open all winter and yes, my engine bay does get dirtier than if it were closed. However, I have checked numerous times after freeway driving in the rain and it stays pretty dry. I do get a drip on the front of the timing belt cover when I stop for too long or park outside. Other than that though it does not let in too much moisture.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

We get all 9 of our inches of rain per year in 3 days in August. Maybe I will park it on those days.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
....single-digit humidity, and light wind.

single-digit humidity??!?!?!? I didn't know that exsisted!! Here the wetherman says it is dry if it falls below 50%! Just ask someone from Texas, i am not lying!

I am glad to hear that news though! I have a scoope i am going to install and sould not make up my mind if i should really cut up my perfectly good hood to make it work.

Now here is a question, i know yours is the stock open towards the front design. But what if I mounted it backwards so that the open side was facing back. Would that work better than forward?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM

Initial testing reveals underhood temps to be 5 - 15 degrees cooler on average. My most surprising finding (I didn't expect this) is that the scoop appears to be most beneficial at idle. An example would be driving at a steady speed and coming to a stop at a stoplight. In six different cases I watched the temperature gauge, mounted at the top of the supercharger, drop anywhere from 3 to 15 degrees. This is excellent news because the scoop is alleviating one of my biggest problems, heat soak. Heat is literally pouring out of that opening once the force of the air going in is eliminated. To further test what I was seeing on the temp gauge I placed my hand near the opening after shutting it down. Sure enough, it darn near burned my hand!

This really surprised me, but it's excellent news. As far as when the vehicle is moving goes, it also appears to be working there as well. Temps were down about 5 to 10 degrees when the vehicle was in motion on average.

I still have more data to collect, but I am pretty certain that I can call this "functional scoop mod" a mod worth doing.

All testing was done in the afternoon with the outside temp at about 105 degrees, single-digit humidity, and light wind.
What are you using to monitor your temps? (I apologize if you already covered this)
Old 05-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

We get all 9 of our inches of rain per year in 3 days in August. Maybe I will park it on those days.
You guys get THREE? We only get two over here...

Looks good Christian. One of these days I hope to actually see the truck in person...
Old 05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, I am beginning to think a cowl (vented) hood would be best for heat dissapation, but I am not sure on that.

I am using an Oregon Scientific Wireless Thermometer. The probe is zip-tied right above the supercharger (it's not touching it though).

CJ - sounds good!

Quick Reply: Picked up a scooped hood, made it functional, Line-X'd it black *pics*