Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

photo radar license plate covers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got them so that if i got caught (which i havnt but my dad has and alot of my friends too) i wouyldnt get a ticket. if they cant read the license plate number i dont think they would go thru with the trouble of descrambeling it etc etc.

when they arrived i told my dad what they were and he took them away ...... whats funny is about 3 days ago he has covers on his car hmmmmm what an ass
Old 10-05-2003, 07:43 PM

I believe they are illegal in AZ.

Countless number of times, I've heard people being stopped because of this.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:45 AM

Covers....again

Sorry to bring this up again, but wondering if anyone has dealt with or heard of this company...

http://www.autoplates.com/photoshiel...-protector.htm

I don't want to waste my money on this if it does not work........... I still get a laugh about using a Leaf...........too funny!!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:48 AM

A while back my grandpa, yes my grandpa, was getting numerous speeping tickets from photo radar. He asked me if I had any ideas and I looked at the photo and noticed it is in black and white. Anybody who has ever taken any photography classes knows red is black in black and white, so I put a red tint on his licence cover. He never got another ticket, maybe it worked?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by KING
I believe they are illegal in AZ.

Countless number of times, I've heard people being stopped because of this.

King:

Yes...they just recently made them illegal to have these or any type of cover that distorts the plate.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i think thats true here in MA too.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
A while back my grandpa, yes my grandpa, was getting numerous speeping tickets from photo radar. He asked me if I had any ideas and I looked at the photo and noticed it is in black and white. Anybody who has ever taken any photography classes knows red is black in black and white, so I put a red tint on his licence cover. He never got another ticket, maybe it worked?
Black and white when you get them... I have seen accident photos of people getting hitting others while running the reds and they've all been in color.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jjdeneen

its dr evil from austin powers the movie

wow.. I thought it was a guy eating soup
Old 06-08-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Black and white when you get them... I have seen accident photos of people getting hitting others while running the reds and they've all been in color.
This was about 7 years ago. I imagine that most of them are now digital so color is the same price.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
A nice coating of mud also will hide you from photo radar
but its tough getting mud up on the rear of the 4Runner... That is usually the cleanest part...
Old 06-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jjdeneen

its dr evil from austin powers the movie
Old 06-08-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They don't work at all. I saw a test of 7 different kinds on TLC, all they have to do is make your pic into a negitive it you can read it fine. Don't waste your money, slow down.

Lamm
Old 06-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Banned

paint your truck flat black... it might absorb the radar instead of reflect back... like the stealt airplanes
Old 06-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by $RUNNER
I'm pretty sure that they reflect a glare on your licence plate when the photo radar stations try to take a picture of your car. This way the license plates can't be read. I live in CO and they're illegal here (hence their difficulty to find in stores), but I think they might be legal in AZ.

P.S.- I what is this smiley doing?
the smile is doing DR. Evil hold the mouse over it and let it show you
Old 06-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

well i read up on radarguy ray's website cant remeber the exact website tho and he says the ones he sells work. i asked a cop and he said if half of the plate is visable its okay as long as its the back is fully visable. i bought a full cover one for the front and then cut it in half and put it under a clear cover. i saw a photo radar yesterday and drove by 10 over it took my picture and i waved at the guy so well see if it worked in a few weeks if i get a ticket. the spray im ordering for the front and back along with veil cover (clearish grey paint you put over headlights and licence plates that slow down the returning signal of the radar/laser by absorbing it partially its not meant to block it just give you moire time to slow down)
Old 06-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

ontario also!

Originally Posted by Sass69
We have a toll highway here (Ontario) and I wonder if these LP covers would prevent the picture the same way??? I would imagine so as I don't think the camera technology would be that much different?

PS. cameras take a pic of your plate as you enter and leave the toll highway....Could always drive OFF-ROAD and go around the cameras!!!

Any thoughts?
just wanted to say hi, im in kitchener. i havent noticed many other ontarians so far. where are you from and do you have any favourite spots for wheelin'? i like the idea, sure would get people looking! talk with you soon.

lee
Old 06-08-2004, 07:25 PM

I'll be in Kitchener next week
Old 06-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

cool!

Originally Posted by nags
I'll be in Kitchener next week
email me and let me know when and where, maybe we can hook up and talk shop!

lee
Old 06-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dexter
well i read up on radarguy ray's website cant remeber the exact website tho and he says the ones he sells work. i asked a cop and he said if half of the plate is visable its okay as long as its the back is fully visable. i bought a full cover one for the front and then cut it in half and put it under a clear cover. i saw a photo radar yesterday and drove by 10 over it took my picture and i waved at the guy so well see if it worked in a few weeks if i get a ticket. the spray im ordering for the front and back along with veil cover (clearish grey paint you put over headlights and licence plates that slow down the returning signal of the radar/laser by absorbing it partially its not meant to block it just give you moire time to slow down)

Please tell me this was a speed thing and not a red light thing...
If an agency really wants to they can match up your vehicle type, color, etc, with the partial plate and narrow it down more so than you'd like.

Like 4x4Lamm said...
Just slow down.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Banned

just had an idea... abotu the spray on stuff... you guys said it will come off with water... welll what about if i coat it a couple times and let each coat dry... then coat it will clear laquer? will that work or no?

Quick Reply: photo radar license plate covers...