Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Part2: Fab job is DONE! Now... really did I get jipped..?? :X

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nope I doubt he will really do a thing for ya. Hes already got ya! You payed him to do a service that he did not do therefore he should but I doubt it
Old 06-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. i'd just show up. point everything out. complain, ask for money back. maybe bring a friend
Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 AM

no he didn't "get me"
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by akaphilly
wow. i'd just show up. point everything out. complain, ask for money back. maybe bring a friend
thanks man... as simple as that.. i'm gonna bring my bro
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM

till you get that cash back in your hand... Yeah I think he definetly did!

I know it sucks dude ive been there myself. Its a good wake up call and hopefully a learning experience.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
till you get that cash back in your hand... Yeah I think he definetly did!

I know it sucks dude ive been there myself. Its a good wake up call and hopefully a learning experience.
for myself and hopefully for everyone who happens upon this thread hah..

def complaining with the bbb if they don't
Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Wow.
I'm no welder but holy crap.

Whether he gives you your money back or not you need to get stuff re-done.
To answer your question about using a Hi-Lift on those welds...they'd probably hold the first 3 or 4 times but they would slowly become weaker.
Don't be jumping up on down it while it's jacked up - that's for sure.

Let us know what you find out - also tell him if he doesn't give you your money back that you are going to make his shotty work public and take it up with the BBB.

Make sure he doesn't get another dime out of anybody until he learns how to weld right.

Can you imagine if he was asked to do structural welding?
Like for frame repair? Eesh!

Fink
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Yeah what was this shop? and were is it so people know not to go there
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Whether he gives the money back to you or not I would at least publicize his name, shop name and shop location.

Hopefully save people from the headache he's caused you.

Also, what kind of shop is it?
Is it an actual off-road shop? If so that is plain scary.

If it's just a general fab shop (i.e., "you bring it, we'll weld it") then that will explain some of it but still - those welds look like

Fink
Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Just spoke to him... He's a nice guy but did a sorry job. He, as expected, tried to support his job; saying that it is actually stronger that way because the little triangle shaped brace doesn't really do much. He said he could reinforce the tubes on the body mounts by using a square shaped piece and weld it straight to the frame. It was a weird conversation and I def got it across that I expected him to weld directly to the frame and supplied the parts to do so. I'm going in tomorrow to talk with him. the fire burns

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-11-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language Removed
Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Wow...this is CRAZY SCARY!!

Should have done something like this. Here's a shot of mine:

I would even go farther than that to add a larger plate with triangular gussets like my MS Paint picture up there ^^^
Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 PM

Everyone's already said what a crummy job that guy did, so I won't beat it to death. But, I'd really try and get my money back and take it to someone with some decent welding skills. Good luck with this and post up the business name and location if he doesn't do anything for you.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by algranger
WHAT?!? He welded to the body mounts!? I would cut them off and have someone weld them bench weld 1/4" plate to the tubing and then weld the plate stright to the frame.
This guy obviously does not use common sense in designing a strong mounting layout. He can lay a bead but based on this display i would not call him a fabricator.

Here's how i would do it (Good luck making sense of it : )

Edit: See how when i welded my clevis mounts i wrapped some 1/4" plate around the bumper then welded my mount onto the plate? I would do that with the slider then add some gussets

Take a minute and THINK about this logically. Wouldnt it make sense that the more weld area you can get on the frame would make it stronger? The frame is only 1/8+- so your sliders will only be as strong as the weld area on your frame right? So burn the HELL out of the tubing onto a plate, then get tons of weld area from the plate onto the frame. Add those gussets since they are load bearing. They wont be going anywhere
DAAAAAMN Algranger!
Nice welds!
I would drive to Yelm to have you weld for me!!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesD
When I first seen this thread posted, it looked like it said WabFab and I read your post and seen the pictures and I thought he was drunk when he welded the sliders on. Then I looked again and found out it wasn't him I seen pictures of his work and it is top notch and I got a little confused thinking what did he do? But it was not him. Yeah I would not go back to that guy who did the work.

James
I would appreciate it if you would edit that to not even mention WabFab in relation to that bootyfabulous work. Someone might mistake it as you did.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by algranger
I would even go farther than that to add a larger plate with triangular gussets like my MS Paint picture up there ^^^
Gussets belong on the side, not the top/bottom, as they help distribute the load along the frame. Top/bottom gussets make a point load, like a can opener on the frame.

What Rockslide has is more than adequate for 99.9% of the folks that wheel as that scab plate is more than adequate to distribute the load on the frame properly.

OP, you got screwed. Go back and request a refund for that labor and go somewhere else. Accept nothing less cause it is obvious this guy is lazy, oblivious or both. Bootyfabulous.

If you are coming to Tuscaloosa, AL anytime soon I will weld them on for nothing. You have to grind/cut them off and do all the other dirty work.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

Gussets belong on the side, not the top/bottom, as they help distribute the load along the frame. Top/bottom gussets make a point load, like a can opener on the frame.

Thats why i was saying to bench weld the sliders and gussets onto 1/4" plate about 8" wide and the height of the frame rail and then weld that to the frame, that well you get great distribution and a lot of weld area to the frame
Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 PM

If you used a credit card to pay, try giving them a call. I had VISA get my sister a refund for terrible auto repair work in Denver a while back.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bootown
If you used a credit card to pay, try giving them a call. I had VISA get my sister a refund for terrible auto repair work in Denver a while back.
Awesome idea!
Sounds like this dude kind of runs a "mom & pop shop" so he may not have accepted a credit card.

He probably wants cash so he knows he has the money before the customer realizes how badly they got screwed.

If it were me, after being screwed as bad as he did you, I wouldn't even ask him to fix it.
It seems as if anything he touches gets botched....

Get your money back and take it to a proper shop.
Sure, he's a nice guy, but I'd rather have a jerk mechanic who does good/proper work than a nice guy who just does whatever he can to finish the job.

That's my $.02 as usual,

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 06-11-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WHEN YOU GO HAVE ANYTHING DONE BY SOMEONE NOT YOU AND YOUR NOT GONNA BE THERE WHEN SAID WORK IS DONE!!!

GET under your truck and SHOW and point and get in writing what he is to do.. that way even if he do esnt know alot about quoting HE CAN SEE EXACTLY WHAT YOU EXPECT!!!

i would offer to split the cost to get this done right unless he wants bad word of mouth and if he does just cut your loose and walk away..

maybe he didnt know what this job entails as he isnt a rock crawler..

but dont put a highlift on something welded to your body mounts please!

Last edited by bigt; 06-11-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Thats a good point bigt, maybe he thought it was more of a step rail than a load bearing structure
Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd take a poop on his door mat

Quick Reply: Part2: Fab job is DONE! Now... really did I get jipped..?? :X