Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oops! Time for a new fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lance currently has my mock-up for a rear tank, he's planning on getting a quote to get a few made. It'll have aproximately a 25 gallon capacity.
very cool, maybe i should see if the guy thats going to make mine, will cut us deal if we have enough people "ready" to buy... please keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by garrett1478
the simplest way is to just weld some 1/8" or 3/16" plate onto the stock skid.

nope, it doesnt look cool, but it works.
Until the stock mounts bend...
Old 09-20-2006, 11:30 PM

2 week old '01 tacoma 4dr and I did the same thing . It took less fuel but it didn't bother me until I was driving down the road (smooth one too) and the truck decided to shut down . Turns out the fuel pump decided to disconnect it's self. $1100 for a new one .

-beerjet-
Old 09-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

here's the one I quickly made up... added a few more mounting points

Last edited by BruceTS; 06-02-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
heres a couple of options,
1) IF a "real" (custom) skid plate is going to cost around $300, why not just replace it with something from a Isuzu, (or similar) and put where the spare tire goes, and never worry about it again ?
2) IF the custom skid is going to cost closer to $400, have a custom tank built, again where the spare tire goes, (Bruce was working on something like this) I know that a custom tank can be built for about $500 with a skid plate built into it, this will keep the tank from hangiing down lower than the frame, and free up that space for other things, such as batteriers, air compressor, anything.
just a thought. either way, its only money, lol
Sorry for the hyjack, but I have to repsond to this.

First off...I never posted a price. Ric's "Price is Right" approach is wrong. Ric, your estimated prices have no validity and I would appreciate it if you would not try to discourage my potential buyers by posting arbitrary prices for products that I may introduce into the market.

Second...if you want to move your tank then move it. The only 3rd gen tank relacation I've seen looked like a hack job. But I am sure it could be done nicely if you want to spend some money.

In addition, if someone wants to keep a spare tire under the truck, then a custom skid is the only way to go.

For those who are interested in a gas tank skid keep your eyes open for a thread.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Albuquerque Jim,
sorry, didnt mean to step on your toes, I simply was giving people other ideas, or
heres a couple of options,
there is another option.
I would appreciate it if you would not try to discourage my potential buyers
again sorry, just throwing out other ideas, i thought thats what yotatech was for, to share ideas and thoughts.
your estimated prices have no validity
i know for a fact, custom work isnt cheap.... if you can build a custom skid for cheap, heck I may get one untill i know what i want to do with the tank.
The only 3rd gen tank relacation I've seen looked like a hack job. But I am sure it could be done nicely if you want to spend some money.
i havent even seen one thats been done, id like to see this, or know whos it is.
In addition, if someone wants to keep a spare tire under the truck, then a custom skid is the only way to go.
i totally agree.
Jim, again Im sorry, my intent was to help, to give ideas, or suggestions, i did not mean to discourage anyone.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a good skid plate, no worries.

Move the tank and/or get a cell. Big bucks, big worries.

I have rear mounted cell because of my rear suspension. I can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I would not move that thing again just because.

Really, leave it and plate it. I don't cut off my hands for paper cuts.

It's cause I'm Rick James.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ric
I'm sorry, my intent was to help, to give ideas, or suggestions, i did not mean to discourage anyone.
Accepted
Old 09-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

I'm hoping to pay $100-$200 for a production gas skid.
I don't think thats unreasonable when comparing the amount of metal, work, and price of BudBuilts IFS skid plates.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:19 PM

yeah, 300 is what i paid for my belly and front skid... and thats alot more fabbing and steel than what would be required for a gas tank skid, atleast from what i think would be required for a strong one... but i would be interested jim to see what you are going to build, so keep us posted!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Accepted
awesome

I'm hoping to pay $100-$200 for a production gas skid.
at that price, Id have to get one also, until i get a custom tank.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
yeah, 300 is what i paid for my belly and front skid... and thats alot more fabbing and steel than what would be required for a gas tank skid, atleast from what i think would be required for a strong one... but i would be interested jim to see what you are going to build, so keep us posted!
I have to disagree...the front and belly do have more steel, but not more fabbing.

I will keep you posted.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I will keep you posted.
I told you...........
Old 09-22-2006, 07:58 PM

well, im sure you know more about it than i do, so ill trust you. i know i need a gas tank skid and from this thread im sure alot of people will 2, have fun with it
Old 09-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Banned

no way you'll get one for $100. not even $200. to do it right, you're looking at probably close to that - if not more - just in the steel with today's prices. you then have to add in all the effort to develop it and make it worth somebody's time to build ($50/hr is a good going rate for fab time in a shop) and test one out, then get the steel, cut it up, weld it together, drill the mounting holes, etc. then they will have to worry about it bolting up correctly to a million 4runners when it was built to fit one - their own.

after that, you have to deal with all the headaches of the people who buy one and then try to install it improperly, not following your implicite directions. then there's the ones who will call you and with a million irrelevant questions and still never put up the cash to get one. also, you have to deal with the people who will buy one, install it wrong, booty fab it in place, then dent it or rip it off and blame it on the person who made it instead of the boob who installed it. that's when your name gets smeared on the net for all the world to see...

all of that has to go into the price of the gas tank skid, not just $50 of 18ga sheet and 30 minutes of fab work (the ultra-cheap version like most are willing to pay for)...

my guess is more like $300-$500 price range.

by the way, some of you will say "no way i'm paying that much". what are your other options? relocating your tank? you'll spend that much on parts, then you'll have 50+ hours in fab time and development, rewiring and retubing to just get it to work. what's your other options? doing it yourself? if you could, then you wouldn't be on here hoping that someone else will develop it for you. any other options? wheel it like it is, eventually replace the tank and the internal components and repeat as necessary on a repetitive basis.

so, you can:

get a bootyfab skid and hope it works
get a nice skid and pay a lot for your peace of mind
don't do anything and replace your tank, sending unit, float, pump, etc
relocate your tank and open a can of worms and headaches

jim, if you go thru with developing one, don't forget to take all of those headaches into account when you come up with the price.

Last edited by bamachem; 09-23-2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I told you...........
Originally Posted by bamachem
jim, if you go thru with developing one, don't forget to take all of those headaches into account when you come up with the price.
I appreciate your input. I think both of you are accurate in you depiction of what may happen. I want to try something because there is a need in the community. I think I have an innovative approach that can be cost effective. That's all I'm gonna share at this point.

When this is said and done you will probablt be right and I will deserve some "I told you so's...", that's ok. If I never try then I will never know.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:25 AM

Sign me up for a skid plate too. My gas tank is in serious need of stronger protection.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
no way you'll get one for $100. not even $200. to do it right, you're looking at probably close to that - if not more - just in the steel with today's prices. you then have to add in all the effort to develop it and make it worth somebody's time to build ($50/hr is a good going rate for fab time in a shop) and test one out, then get the steel, cut it up, weld it together, drill the mounting holes, etc. then they will have to worry about it bolting up correctly to a million 4runners when it was built to fit one - their own.

after that, you have to deal with all the headaches of the people who buy one and then try to install it improperly, not following your implicite directions. then there's the ones who will call you and with a million irrelevant questions and still never put up the cash to get one. also, you have to deal with the people who will buy one, install it wrong, booty fab it in place, then dent it or rip it off and blame it on the person who made it instead of the boob who installed it. that's when your name gets smeared on the net for all the world to see...

all of that has to go into the price of the gas tank skid, not just $50 of 18ga sheet and 30 minutes of fab work (the ultra-cheap version like most are willing to pay for)...

my guess is more like $300-$500 price range.

by the way, some of you will say "no way i'm paying that much". what are your other options? relocating your tank? you'll spend that much on parts, then you'll have 50+ hours in fab time and development, rewiring and retubing to just get it to work. what's your other options? doing it yourself? if you could, then you wouldn't be on here hoping that someone else will develop it for you. any other options? wheel it like it is, eventually replace the tank and the internal components and repeat as necessary on a repetitive basis.

so, you can:

get a bootyfab skid and hope it works
get a nice skid and pay a lot for your peace of mind
don't do anything and replace your tank, sending unit, float, pump, etc
relocate your tank and open a can of worms and headaches

Sounds like your talking about "joe" fabbing out of his garage. yeah, $100 is out of the question but i can see $200~ being very possible for a production skid made by someone already in the business...not somebody making one-offs.

fyi, there are production gas skids currently in the works and should be available by the new year. So with what Jim has going, we might have two options.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

In reguard to the guage not showing less than 1/2:

We pulled my son's tank down to check this same prob. There is a sump inside the tank that surrounds the pump/sending unit. Impact had bent the sump, which limited the float from dropping all the way down. Bent it back, OK last 3 years.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:18 AM

My tank is down to 13 gallons. It is the biggest problem I have with my truck while wheeling it in big stuff.

I only have a 1 inch body lift (4runner), but I still might lift it that single inch because it is worth it to me. Then, new tank, and custom skid plate. bigger than the factory "gravel gaurd."

Quick Reply: Oops! Time for a new fuel tank?