Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Older Toyota p/u, Toyota 4Runner or Jeep TJ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Older Toyota p/u, Toyota 4Runner or Jeep TJ?

Yeah, I'll probably get flamed for even posting that subject, but what the heck.

Hey all,

I've been thinking about picking up an older Toyota truck or Toyota 4Runner or Jeep TJ for off-roading & a daily driver. Long & short of it is I have heard of a lot of reliability issues w/Jeeps: electrical & mechanical. I don't have the time & effort to be fixing stuff all the time, so I want to hear from you guys. My 1997 4Runner has been a dream come true w/regards to fun, usefullness & reliability.

I know enough about Toyota to make a wise decision on a purchase, but if I wanted a Jeep TJ, what year(s) should I be looking for and what years or things should I be avoiding? If I did buy a Jeep I wouldn't be looking to spend more than $7200 - $11,000 USD.

Must be V6 & 4x4. Standard or Auto don't matter.

Or what year Toyota Tacoma or 4Runner would you recommend?

Al
Old 05-29-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Older Toyota p/u, Toyota 4Runner or Jeep TJ?

Originally posted by HBoss
Must be V6 & 4x4. Standard or Auto don't matter.
The Jeeps are I6's. That's what my 2000 JGC has. Off-Roading and DD? Is the 97 you have going away? My JGC isn't a bad DD. Lots of creature comforts and 3.55 gearing means decent highway mileage (70mph is only 2000rpm) Anyway, I've been sort of searching for an 85 Runner to build up for off-roading, but everything here is a rust-bucket. I've been searching the south, but not many hits. I know nothing about Taco's, although I really like the double cab model.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:27 PM

If I get a Jeep it will definitely be a 4.0 6-cyl. Those are I6's? I thought they were V's. Learn something new everyday...

I'd be going for a TJ instead of a GC Jeep. Off-roader & DD yup and the 97 4Runner would be going away. Long story.. Just researching right now.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

I think you ought to first think about how many folks and gear you're going to haul around.

Then what kind of daily driving do you do? Freeway or city? Miles? How comfortable do you like to be?

Lastly, what kind of 4wheeling do you do? Hard trails with wiinching up and over waterfalls or old logging and mining roads? How many mods are going to be necessary to turn each vehicle into a compromise vehicle?...One that would work reasonably well in both situations.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:01 PM

Gear & folks = full load. Generally 4 guys w/camping gear, but that's only once a month. Normally it's 1 to 2 people with a light load on highway trips.

Daily driving to work is city. Comfort's important, reliability more so.

Moderate 4-wheeling. Trails, mud & snow. No rock, no heavy water-crossings.

I found a 1990 4Runner 3.0 V6 4x4 auto tranny for $6500 Cdn. ($4710 USD). It's got 280,000 km (175,000 miles). Country and city-driven. One owner, regular maintenace. Has rust but I know an auto-body dude who could fix it for cheap. All recalls performed. The only things power though, are steering & brakes. Interior is in great shape.

Link to the 4Runner for sale

What do you guys think?

Last edited by HBoss; 05-29-2003 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:28 PM

I'd get a pre '85 Toyota pickup...you can go flatbed, already has solid axle, toyota reliability, get one without rust and you're set!!! You can do a BIG lift for pretty cheap on them, as well! 4-5" lift is easy, you can put 35s then I believe....add 2 lockers and you're SET!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I have a YJ and my 4Runner.. I would not want to be stuck with the Jeep all the time.. The jeep has the 4Runner beat hands down on the amount of fun to drive around, but for comfort and off road, I still say the Toyota.. My Jeep is also geared reall high in 4lo, I am thinking it would suck to wheel like that.. I mean, can you believe when I "dumped" out the clutch at idle without any gas in my back yard it stalled??? Heck, I can do that uphilll in my Toy with out stalling... I know alot of people like the wheel base on the Jeep to move around, but I personaly like the longer more stable wheel base for off camber front to back stuff.. I think the trade off makes them equal all in all when it comes to wheel base.. No the Jeep has weak axles and trannys Plus, you need to lift it a lot just to run 31's...

IMHO, as a second ride just for fun, not really for wheeling, the Jeep is a major blast to drive.. As long as at least the top is off, and much more fun with the doors yanked too.. (although I may buy some canvas half doors to cut down the wind a little) I hate driving the jeep in full roof and door mode...
Old 05-30-2003, 02:51 AM
Contributing Member

Regarding vehicle choice...

By your answers, I think you've already decided. My 4Runner does about the same for me. I had a pickup, but all I could fit in the cab was a malemute and a backpack. So hauling people was always a problem.

As for reliability, Consumer Reports rates 4Runners more reliable that Jeeps. Anecdotal evidence from my Jeep owning buddies has kept me scared away from the marque. Jeeps look great, have a history, but would beat you to death on the road and in the wallet.

As for that '90 4Runner, I'm assuming that's Canadian Dollars. But that's pretty high compared to what a '90 4Runner would go for from the southwest. And I would encourage you to get a 4Runner from Texas, Southern NM, Arizona, or California. My '95 has zero rust. The body repair bill would buy your plane ticket to go pick up a nice southwestern 4Runner and drive it home to Canada. Ebay has had quite a few on.

I'm partial to '95's. By that time, Toy had worked out the headgasket problem and they came equipped with PW, PL, Cruise and often a Sunroof. My wife uses ours to commute daily still with 188K on it. It's no speed demon, but it takes me out on Saturday and Sunday and her to work on Monday and it has never broken down.

It does need some cosmetic repairs (upholstery, paint is showing it's age) but you can use your friend to help out with that.

The 4Runner is the first vehicle since a '66 Mustang that I have absolutely enjoyed owning.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:13 PM

Jeeps are an absolute blast to drive. But as everyone has said, I wouldn't trust one as my DD. They are a great toy/second vehicle. But there is no way I would have it as my only way to get to work.

I know you are looking used, but Jeep is offering 0% financing right now.

I had a 92 Toy pickup, from new, prior to my 4Runner and it ran like a champ. I put oil in it and that was about it really - basic maintenance. Sold it with 145k and it was still running like new. My biggest regret is selling that truck. I don't think you could go wrong with any Toy that had been maintained.

Good luck (and please keep your site up if you do ditch the 3rd gen)
Old 05-30-2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Hermes
Good luck (and please keep your site up if you do ditch the 3rd gen)
Definitely will. If I do get my 3rd gen. sold I will more than likely buy a 2nd gen 4Runner. In which case my site will include info on 3rd AND 2nd gens.

I toyed with the idea of buying a Jeep, but I'm sure I won't. I like Toyota and I like the reliability they usually offer. Like I said, if I do end up selling the 3rd gen, the next pic I post here will be a pic of my new/old 2nd gen.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by HBoss
If I do get my 3rd gen. sold I will more than likely buy a 2nd gen 4Runner.
Tell you what, as a personal favor, I'll trade you straight up.

'95 V6... so whaddya say?
Old 05-31-2003, 03:43 PM

I can't speak for the wranglers but I had a cj-5 and it wasn't fun as a daily driver, on anything other than a summer day it sucked to drive, always too noisy/hot/cold/wet. I have a 94 pickup with a 22re now that I really like, and like it better off road than my sister's 4runner with the 3.0 liter, if you do wan't a v6 find one with the 3.4 liter but you can't really go wrong with any toyota.