95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is it ok to....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maddog
really !!! I must try that
Yep, I do that each time...I get compliments on how new the engine looks after that.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:33 PM

Spray the tire foam cleaner AFTER I wash the engine bay? What good would that do?

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I used to have a '96 Prelude VTEC and there were several things you had to cover up and be careful about but it sounds like Toyotas are a lot different.

So, my final question. It scares me (even though I don't think it's possible to happen) that the engine block will warp if I spray it while it's hot because the block is very hot, the water is cold, and it steams like hell. Plus the radiator steaming scares me. Would it be ok? Even if it is, I think I'll still try and let it cool a little.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sunday BBQ
Spray the tire foam cleaner AFTER I wash the engine bay? What good would that do?

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I used to have a '96 Prelude VTEC and there were several things you had to cover up and be careful about but it sounds like Toyotas are a lot different.

So, my final question. It scares me (even though I don't think it's possible to happen) that the engine block will warp if I spray it while it's hot because the block is very hot, the water is cold, and it steams like hell. Plus the radiator steaming scares me. Would it be ok? Even if it is, I think I'll still try and let it cool a little.
Definately let it cool some
Old 06-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sunday BBQ

The tire foam makest the hosese and paint shine like new.

As for the warpage, this would be much more likely to happen in a river crossing bacuse the voume of water you spay is so small that it is heated instantly and the surace of the metal doesn't cool fast enought to do something like this. Since the engine block is so big, it has a lot of heat that will be transfered to the spots beeing sprayed. In this way the water spray really isn't enough to cause any damage because it is a fairly gradual cooling process. The only thing I wory about is the exhost manafold gasket. The manafold is fairly thin and it seems to me that rapid shinkage could break the seal between it and the slower cooling block.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i usually clean my engine off with carb cleaner. eats the gunk right off
Old 06-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

The engine gets more water from driving in a rainstorm that you would put on it with a hose. I mean your radiator fan is sucking in more moisture than you would believe at 60mph. So a little water from a hose is not going to harm it.

I then spray it down with the foaming tire cleaner/shine. If the engine is nice and warm it seems to adhere better.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DavidA
The engine gets more water from driving in a rainstorm that you would put on it with a hose. I mean your radiator fan is sucking in more moisture than you would believe at 60mph. So a little water from a hose is not going to harm it.

I then spray it down with the foaming tire cleaner/shine. If the engine is nice and warm it seems to adhere better.
So spray it down, then put some tire cleaner on it? no need to rinse it off afterwards, Put it on drop the hood and drive off?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nolongeraneqaddict
So spray it down, then put some tire cleaner on it? no need to rinse it off afterwards, Put it on drop the hood and drive off?
That's what I do...try it out and see what you think.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Wow,you can even join the WD-40 fan club. hehe
Old 07-03-2004, 11:32 AM

what my yota mechanic recomended to me about 10 years ago for my 4runner:
if the engine and bay are really dirty start this at night while the engine is cold. fill a spray bottle (from hardware or empty windex bottle) with hot water and dawn dish soap mixture. spray down the entire engine and the bay and hood. let soak over night. do this again the next morning and let sit for about half an hour or so, engine still cold. then hose off motor and bay using hose or pressure washer. just watch around distributer should be ok if has a boot on it. have done it this way for years. works great.
Dawn gets the grease out of your way. LOL!
Was stressed on the importance on doing it while cold mostly because of the exhaust manifold cast iron possible cracking and the aluminum head posibbly warping and causing head gasket failure, but have never heard of it.
also if you already have a detailed motor and it has parts that are painted on it, heat and water can possibly damage the paint also have heard of engine cleaner and tire cleaner products removing paint off stuff on the motor and engine bay. so be careful.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Hmmm,I cleaned my engine yesterday and then that night I noticed I have no dash lights;coincidence? I've checked fuses and I still can't find the problem.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:50 PM

Well, even though I've only had a truck for only a couple months, I cleaned the engine and bay maybe a month ago and I don't remember the little annoying problem I've had lately: the light for my spedometer from about 65mph and up doesn't turn on at night when I turn on my lights unless I hit the dashboard above it with my fist. I hate electrical problems but I'm used to them. My old truck's right headlight wouldn't turn on unless I went out and banged on the hood with my fist until it blinked on. So I guess it COULD be related... but I dought it... I really do... anyway... ?????
Old 07-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Hmmm,I cleaned my engine yesterday and then that night I noticed I have no dash lights;coincidence? I've checked fuses and I still can't find the problem.
Ok,I found the problem with my dash lights;my friend's 2 year old daughter was playing in the front seat and turned my dimmer control all the way down. Doh!!! :pat: