Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: whats the best late model stock offroader in the class?
Toyota 4runner
71.48%
Nissan Pathfinder
1.90%
Land Rover Discovery
25.10%
Chevy Blazer
0.38%
Ford Explorer
0%
Isuzu Trooper
0.38%
Dodge Durango
0.76%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

offroad poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jruz
I dunno what year that would be. But my father-in-law's was a solid axle for sure.

Jim
My dad has a '99. No solid axle, but it's a solid bowel movement. More rattles than a bucket of bolts - rides like a semi.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been off-road in all the rigs mentioned, except the Rover. Mind, my friends and I are not what anyone would call "hard-core wheelers" BUT...the Durango gets high centered about as often as Pavoratti eats. Blazers are trash, SOMETHINGS always dropping off on the trail (usually something you need) Explorers? Please..... my mother-in-law drives one. Pathfinders???? They can take a punch. I looked for one before I bought my P.U. I couldnt find a nice one at the time. I'd drive one of those. I think the 4Runner is a nice ride. I just wish I had more moola for mods. Yeah.. my vote goes to the Toy. (go figure)
Old 03-07-2003, 12:51 AM

the toyota is definatly the all around best truck. but the land rover is really amazing to drive off road. thanks for all the responses.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:42 AM

I did not see the Toyota Land Cruiser mentioned, but didn't read all of the posts. Maybe we could re-vote
Old 03-08-2003, 01:38 PM

exbares, here we go my man, we already voted for the King of all SUV and legendary Land Cruiser who started it all. So go ahead and vote for it. That makes the three of us.

Orinally posted by tomus1000
There is another "Noel" in the forum? I was looking at the quote about the Land Cruiser and thinking "I didn't type that". But I do agree with all that "New Noel" has to say. Must be the name that makes him so smart.

Originally posted by 4x4cposeadog
I voted for 4Runner, but the most capable off road vehicle in my list is the 1994 thru 1997 Land Cruisers with the optional Front and Rear Locking differentials coupled with center locking differential and you can conquer any terrain. IMHO the LC is the most capable go anywhere all terrain vehicle. Not to mention if you installed that the Kazuma supercharger to increase HP to a whopping 300+ HP and a massive torque.
Noel
Old 03-08-2003, 05:46 PM

would you put the land cruiser in the same class as the rest of these vehicles? i dont think i would. at least not in respect to price. but thats just my opinion.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:50 PM

Now go ask the same question on the Land Rover board, or the Balzer board, or the Ford board, or etc...

Then compare answers.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

Last edited by Gadget; 03-08-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:57 PM

if price is no object this is the best off road vehicle EVER.
Attached Thumbnails offroad poll-army-us-hummer_special_forces.jpg  
Old 06-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
I was just like many of you before I rented that discov., remember how legendary the Land Rover name is off road...times have changed and while the Range Rover might still have some off road prowess...the discovery is weak at best. IMHO.
Even the Range Rover has 4 wheel independent suspension now. What a joke! I'm sure it's quite a nice bit of engineering, but so is my digestive tract. This is what it boasts from the Land Rover site:

New Range Rover's axles are designed to radically articulate – that is, extend – over rocks and ruts. Its 4-wheel independent suspension design also uses electronic controls and air springs to manage the conflicting demands of ride and handling. The Electronic Air Suspension (EAS) helps optimize ride height by adjusting each air spring according to load distribution. To help you negotiate challenging off-road trails, terrain sensing software opens cross-link valves connecting the air springs. This allows for maximum wheel articulation – great for climbing over rocks and through deep ruts – and softens spring rates to maximize ride comfort. The new independent suspension provides impressive wheel travel: 10.75 inches in front and 13.0 inches in the rear.

<sarcasm>All that wheel traveling starting at only$71K!!! <sarcasm>

Old 06-09-2003, 05:14 PM
FROSTY

Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser of Australia

Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser of Australia—These would be sweet off-road—I guess the 4Runner has the advantage as far as the width goes…..And out of production would be the FJ40 for sure—can get over anything. I like the wagons though because you can sleep in them….
Old 06-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gadget
Now go ask the same question on the Land Rover board, or the Balzer board, or the Ford board, or etc...

Then compare answers.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
isnt that the point of the poll? we better watch out, other boards might be more loyal. come on guys, are you seriously telling me you can look at that list and not pick the TOY, please.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, how come nobody came up with the Land Rover Defender? My father got a 110 series over in the philippines and he's having tons of fun with it. Of course it's a 5 cyliner turbodiesel if I'm not mistaken. I've driven it and it feels solid and capable of tackling anything in front of it. Tons of torque too. well, just my $.o2
Pat
Old 06-12-2003, 09:09 AM

I just voted Trooper. I know this is unpopular but ....
I put that truck through every mud hole I could find. The thing never got stuck....never. I purposely tried to get stuck several times....I even drove through the sloppiest mud Louisiana has to offer....in 2wd....and the thing still didn't get stuck. So thats my vote. I would still own the thing if the brakes didn't suck so bad. In the end I was having brake work done every three months....thats just too much.
I love my 4runner though....
Old 06-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Gotta be the Runner or the Nissan. The rest are flatly POS's or is that P's.O.S.?

IMHO, the greatest true offroad vehicle in its class production wise I think was the BJ 70. Small and light, not to mention reliable.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:56 PM

you didnt put it on there but i would say a jeep there capable
Old 06-12-2003, 11:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my vote goes for the 4runner. toyota reliability rules

that being said, it's a shame that toyota, nissan, etc won't make a solid axle pickup for the true enthusiast. something like a tacoma HD(for heavy duty ) with 3/4 ton solid axles front and rear with available lockers and v6 without extended cab would be right up my alley

kinda sad to see this kind of thing go the IFS route, but then again we have to remember that most of the people who buy these kind of trucks nowadays really want to buy a car
Old 06-14-2003, 09:13 AM

i voted for the pathy, but the 1st generation pathy. my '94 came stock with a limited slip rear differential and 31 inch tires. it also has excellent angles of approach and departure. the four runner is a close second, but in my opinion the pathfinder is a better stock offroader.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Larunner
I just voted Trooper. I know this is unpopular but ....
I put that truck through every mud hole I could find. The thing never got stuck....never. I purposely tried to get stuck several times....I even drove through the sloppiest mud Louisiana has to offer....in 2wd....and the thing still didn't get stuck. So thats my vote. I would still own the thing if the brakes didn't suck so bad. In the end I was having brake work done every three months....thats just too much.
I love my 4runner though....
my dad thought his wifes trooper was a good wheeler, he even said it was better than his 89 toyota p/u, after all weve been through in that p/u i laughed at him. we (my family) have a cabin up at mt. hood that requires deep snow driving to get into during the winter. so my dad throws his meats (31x10.5 bfg muds studded) on the trooper to tackle some deep snow. well, it didnt go so good and i get a call, my dad seems very disgruntled, he says "theres too much ˟˟˟˟ hanging down, this thing gets high centered on everything." he was in need of major help but i just had recronsructive knee surgery and was stuck at home, good thing i talked my step sister into buying a 4runner, she was able go pull out the helpless trooper after driving a circle around it just for fun. im not trying to flame, i just thought it was funny that my sisters runner actually drove a circle around a stuck trooper.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

I have owned a Jeep Pioneer, a V8 Scout, a 1999 Z71 Chevy,
a '95 Toyota Truck, and now a '97 4Runner.

The 4Runner has my vote due to comfort, price, ruggedness (is that a word), and I just downright like it!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:12 PM

as far as strictly wheeling goes, the land rover takes it because who can argue with those lockers. they can do some tight stuff. but they are not worth the huge price, a 4runner is much more practical id buy that and save my money for mods. also as far as the slug and hog issue, the new discovery has the new bmw 4.4 liter v8, that thing hauls ass and still has a ton of lowend grunt. for the price land rover charges the old 4.0 and 4.6 v8s were pos's what were they thinking

Quick Reply: offroad poll