Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Tire Squealed for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tire Squealed for no reason

This is kinda odd but maybe someone has an answer so I'll go ahead and post.

My buddy and I put on some brand new BFG A/T K/O's 265/75/16 on my truck today. Well we were using a hunter machine with road force variance to balance the tires. All were good till we got to the last one and it required 7oz of weight on the outer rim even after we matched the tire's heavy spot to the rims lightest spot.

So we decided to use stick on weights in the inner rim. Although its not the best method to balance an offroad tire that size it still works. And it did, and the wheels look great without all those weights on them.

I took it out and drove it up to 85mph with no vibes.

Anyway I went over to his house and we hung out blah blah. Then I stopped by the car wash on the way home to get the blue protective crap off the wheel lettering.

So I leave the car wash and I'm almost home and I here tires squealing. Sounds like someone is about to hit me. It only lasted about 3 seconds. I look around and I'm the only person on the road for miles.

I didnt feel any viberation or anything out of the normal. I got home and checked the pressures and all were right on the money, well a little higher but the tires were hot, but the front two matched pressures and so did the rear.

What would cause one of my tires to suddenly squeal for no apparent reason? BTW I was driving straight at about 45 mph and there was nothing around so I know it was my truck. The road was also flat and well paved.

Yikes seems like I was rambling a bit. But I wanted to mention the car wash because I got all the grease that was on the tire from the factory off. When it squealed the tire was long dry.

Maybe I'm over reacting. Any thoughts?

Last edited by CynicX; 09-27-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Banned

sorry no thoughts about the squeeling. from my personal experience, the sticky weights just come off if you wheel them. it may just be my retarded set, but they came off in about 6 months. BUMP FOR SQUEELING!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
sorry no thoughts about the squeeling. from my personal experience, the sticky weights just come off if you wheel them. it may just be my retarded set, but they came off in about 6 months. BUMP FOR SQUEELING!
Yeah I though about that, but since I dont wheel anymore I wasnt to worried about. I figure if a vette can use em at 150 mph I should be alright at 80. hehe

I guess I need to drive it around and feel it out. I beginning to second guess myself. I dunno if it was me or not, I really didnt see anyone around. But I cant imagine a single tire sqeeling for no reason and then to top it off me not being able to feel anything at all in the steering wheel or anything.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:51 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Other possible causes? A belt squealed, a seal somewhere squealed, CD accessing a track squealed, cassette sqealed, 8 track squealed, another one of those stupid radio commercials with realistic sound effects? (I hate those! Sirens, horns honking, tires screaching sounding real and making me look around in panic...)
Old 09-28-2005, 09:43 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Was there any perceptual, momentary change in how the car was handling? When you say squeal, I'm assuming the wheel locked up or something. If the car didn't react, then what you heard was probably NOT a tire.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:50 AM

At the car wash there was probably some sort of armor all or other chemicals that got on your tires. It only lasted 3 seconds because after that it all wore off.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:57 AM

I've noticed when my alignment was off the tires would squeal on smooth concrete. If the toe or camber is off then it's possible to get squeal even when you're going straight, wet or dry. You may want to check your alignment especially since you got new tires.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:07 AM

I've been having problems keeping air pressure in one of my tires...it drops all the time and the sidewalls look fine so visually you can't tell...but the pressure drops down around 20lbs. When this happens......it squeals like crazy! Just for kicks...check the pressure!?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could be an out-of-spec tire.

i'd suggest taking a VERY close look at the one that required 7 oz. if it's THAT bad out of round and out of balance on a road force machine, it's possible that the bead is also bad and it might be slipping on the rim.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

I second that, A tire that is that far out of balance would make me nervous.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
could be an out-of-spec tire.

i'd suggest taking a VERY close look at the one that required 7 oz. if it's THAT bad out of round and out of balance on a road force machine, it's possible that the bead is also bad and it might be slipping on the rim.
A few years ago when I bought BFGs from a very reputable, honest local shop. I was told by the owner when they order a set of 4 BFGs for a cusotmer they will actually order 6-7 b/c at least one is never right. Whether it is this extreme or not I don't know, but thought it was interesting
Old 09-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

I know it was the sound of a tire squeeling. It musta been someone from a distance or something. I drove it about 40 miles today and everything was perfect.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

That happened to me once on a recently paven road, flat, perfect, nobody around...I turned around after checking the rig out and it turned out there was a huge spot of oil or grease or something on the ground, I assume what happened to me was that as I drove over it the right wheels accelerated and were slipping and then once it hit the pavement it squealed a little bit until the oil/grease residue was off. Never happened again...

Fink
Old 09-29-2005, 02:26 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I have a 3.0 - I can't spin the tires even if I'm on a grease spot....