Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New member of the black club.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member of the black club.

I needed an alignment so I went to DISCOUNT TIRE to have my wheels balance first. During the process, one of the guys balancing my wheels told me he was having trouble balancing a wheel and there was a possibility that the rim was slightly bent. After many attempts, he was never able to zero it in. The rim was bent.

I figured the rim should last a while before it gets really severe, so I left them on.

After my wheels were balanced, I went to go get an alignment. The guy at the alignment shop didn't want to align my truck. He said the tires were too worn out and there was no point in having it aligned if they're not going to stay that way. He said he could do it but he was just trying to save me some money.

Well, I went back to discount and bought new tires and rims.

I got the new rockcrawlers without the stripes (15X8) and a new set of BFG A/T TA KOs (31x10.5x15).

I'll be going back next week to pick up black lugs and hub caps.

Some pictures:

Before:

Ready to go on:

Upclose:

After:

Old 02-12-2004, 11:52 AM

Very nice!

Are those AR 767s?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Ahhh, much better!

They never told me they had those wheels! Whats up with that?

Only drawback is that my rig is noticably slower rolling on steelies. Did you notice that too?
Old 02-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

You shoulda gotten those black lug nuts from Wheelers Off-Road...now you need to take some black Rustoleum paint those wheel weights, and then paint those hubs...I still need to do mine.

Fink
Old 02-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Fever

Looking good! The fever is spreading!

Old 02-12-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Glenn
Very nice!

Are those AR 767s?
The AR 767s have a slightly different desing. The holes on mine are complete round. Whereas with the AR 767, they're more of a square shape.

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Ahhh, much better!

They never told me they had those wheels! Whats up with that?

Only drawback is that my rig is noticably slower rolling on steelies. Did you notice that too?
CHRISTIAN, the wheels have only been out for a week.

As it is, I'm a slow driver. I always tend to drive the limit and I am easy on accelerations so I really haven't and probably won't note a difference.

What I am more concerned about is my average miles per gallon. I'm just below the half tank mark and I don't even have 200 miles on it yet. :cry:

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
You shoulda gotten those black lug nuts from Wheelers Off-Road...now you need to take some black Rustoleum paint those wheel weights, and then paint those hubs...I still need to do mine.

Fink
The black lugs have been ordered. They'll be in by next week as well as the center caps. I think he told me those are black too.

Yes, I do need to paint the weights, which I will do soon.

Last edited by KING; 02-12-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

What kind of center caps are they? I've been lookin for some but haven't had any luck...would you mind hookin me up with a link or some info on the kind you plan to get? Thanks KING! It's amazing how much different the wheels make...not just the black color but also the stance your rig has now, looks AWESOME!

Fink
Old 02-12-2004, 12:16 PM

ive also been looking for center caps but no luck either, so i also would appreciate some links or any info on them.

And welcome to the club
Old 02-12-2004, 12:22 PM

What kind of center caps are they? I've been lookin for some but haven't had any luck...would you mind hookin me up with a link or some info on the kind you plan to get? Thanks KING! It's amazing how much different the wheels make...not just the black color but also the stance your rig has now, looks AWESOME!

Fink
I honestly don't know what kind of caps they are, if it is true that they are indeed black, which I remember he did say they were. I'll have to wait and see until they call me when they are in.

If they are indeed black, I'll pass on some information to you, FINK,

I am happy to say that for the first, even since I bought the truck 16 months ago, I can now grin when I look at it as it sits in a parking lot or something. Before, I'd just look down as I'd approach my truck.

I am glad someone thinks the same way I do. I think it gave it a great look and the stance has improved dramatically. You ought to see in person, the color stands out far more than it does here.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Banned

Center Caps

IMO, don't bother with center caps, just something else to rub and rust. Just and off the rusty spots and paint the hubs with some gloss black Rustoleum and be done with it.

and the black lug nuts complete the look! (this pic is pre hub painting)

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-12-2004 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah...I honestly didn't notice that much performance decrease, my MPG did suffer some though, but with it as crappy as it is now...I don't have much to lose.

One of the biggest things I noticed was of course the looks but also the improvement in cornering...it doesn't tip as much and I can take the turns faster. The other thing was the difficulty in going through those small drive-thru's

Fink
Old 02-12-2004, 12:34 PM

My dad suggested I painted the drums as well.

BRAIN, for you 3RD GEN guys, you guys have to only paint the rear. We have to paint all four sides.

As you can see in the first pick of the "Up close", on the front, we have that grease cap. You guys have a rubber flat cap there and it's already black.

Even if I painted the cap black, you could see see all those bolts and that cap sticking out.

Besides, we don't have rust in PHOENIX

I will pain the drums however.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Banned

If it was mine...

Originally posted by KING
My dad suggested I painted the drums as well.

BRAIN, for you 3RD GEN guys, you guys have to only paint the rear. We have to paint all four sides.

As you can see in the first pick of the "Up close", on the front, we have that grease cap. You guys have a rubber flat cap there and it's already black.

Even if I painted the cap black, you could see see all those bolts and that cap sticking out.

Besides, we don't have rust in PHOENIX

I will pain the drums however.
I'd still just paint them all gloss black and nobody will ever notice or be the wiser.

FYI, the first pic above is the FRONT being painted, and the bottom is the FRONT not painted with the black lug nuts. Believe me, the FRONT needed some black paint as it was rusty and dull compared to the rims.

Good luck and it looks good already and it will only get better with the stuff you are planning!

Old 02-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

BRAIN, for you 3RD GEN guys...
Now I know BRIAN is a very smart man but calling him "BRAIN", thats pushing it my friend!

Fink
Old 02-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Banned

At least 3 times a day...

Now I know BRIAN is a very smart man but calling him "BRAIN", thats pushing it my friend!

Fink
You would be amazed how many grown, intelligent, respectable adults that send me drawings, faxes, estimates on a daily basis cannot spell my first name, BRIAN, and it is the EASY ONE in my name.

It usually doesn't take me spelling their name wrong more than twice for them to get the hint...

Don't sweat it KNIG...

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-12-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:45 PM

Opps, BRIAN.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Looks really good!

After my wheels were balanced, I went to go get an alignment. The guy at the alignment shop didn't want to align my truck. He said the tires were too worn out and there was no point in having it aligned if they're not going to stay that way. He said he could do it but he was just trying to save me some money.
I am confused, he told you that having worn out tires will make your alignment off? The tire tread will have nothing to do with the alignment angles..
Old 02-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by fooddude
ive also been looking for center caps but no luck either, so i also would appreciate some links or any info on them.

And welcome to the club
[threadjack /on]
I have 4 brand new centercaps if you are interested. Let me know. They are chrome with black in the center (stating the word "Unique" in chrome lettering.)
Old 02-12-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by SLC Punk
Looks really good!

I am confused, he told you that having worn out tires will make your alignment off? The tire tread will have nothing to do with the alignment angles..
This was at the alignment shop. The wheels were on.

When he looked at the tires (70% gone), he said that it wouldn't help much getting an alignment, if at all.

Last edited by KING; 02-12-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

This was at the alignment shop. The wheels were on.

When he looked at the tires (70% gone), he said that it wouldn't help much getting an alignment, if at all.
Ok so he was saying that it wouldn't help the tires last longer, right?

That makes more sense.

I thought he was telling you that the bald tires would mess up the alignment. :pat:

Quick Reply: New member of the black club.