Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Lift Idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
umm i suggest getting the steering extension....i think the steering will be really tight without it. and post some pics of the wheels!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Do you really? Did you need it on your rig? It said on his site the only ones that would need it would be '95 and earlier...if you needed it I'm guessing I'll need it.

I asked him about it in the email I sent him so I'll see what he says tomorrow.

Thanks garrett!

Wheel pics will be up soon, actually, 3 of them got here today and the 4th will be here Tuesday of next week (main warehouse had 3 and another had the last one).

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 12-15-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Body lift has been ordered all thats left to do is wait to hear back from Steve at SS and figure out whether I need to get the extended studs from Localmotion or go through Wheeler's, hopefully by tomorrow everything will be finalized.

Thanks for all of the help guys, it would not have been possible without all of you!

Fink
Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Beast is right...according to Roger's site, the steering shaft can be adjusted to be work.

Fink
Bro

For the 3rd gen runners, you need the steering shaft...

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...eringExtension

I hope you included it on your order.

Last edited by grimpy; 12-16-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:10 AM
ORB

Just a couple things...

1) Please don't take offense to this, it is just an observation that may help some other person in a similar situation, but in this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=tundra you were encouraged several times to go with the tundra/ome lift rather than the spacer route because of money, but now (unless you were able to return or sell those spacers for the same amount) you are out even more $$. I understand that there may not have been enough people AGAINST the spacer lift to dissuade you from getting it, but many of those with the trd/ome lift did chime in...Again, I am not trying to knock you or spacer lifts, but if several people are raving about something in particular (which is in the vicinity of your price range) there should probably be some consideration.

2) That being said, I'm not sure about the details of your vibrations, but I agree with Good Times
Originally Posted by Good Times
btw vibrations still sounds like tires more so than lift. I suspect even if you do this swap you'll still get vibrations. if you're soo unsure, try going back to stock and see if the vibrations are still there.
Unless those spacers are defective, I don't really think they are the culprit. It would suck to spend all that money to fix a problem that won't be fixed. FWIW vibrations in 3rd gen runners and tacomas seem to be pretty common; mine seemed to have reduced since I changed to steel rims. Also, you may not want to put the top out spacers in right away. I did the top outs at the same time as the rest of my lift and my front sat higher than the rear because I have a stock bumper. Many of those who say they only got 1.5" have a TJM or ARB. I would still suggest you get them, as the fronts may settle a little in the future, but right now (about 5k miles) my tundras are perfect with my 891's.

2 cents...
Old 12-16-2005, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are worried about money i would scrap some of the things you are buying that really "refine" the package. i ran around lifted 2.5"-3" without the upgraded rear bumpstops and without the e-brake extension. i did this for over a year on my 1997 4runner and never had any problems in 20,000 miles, i used the inside cone bumpstop (you should have these, they were the recall replacements for me) and trimmed it down a little to keep it from bottoming out so quick. I have no complaints about that set-up, no binding due to the e-brake or anything.

i also ran nuts and bolts i bought at napa instead of the studs from wheelers and had zero problems out of them i bought them at napa, actually they gave them to me. either way, it was cheaper than buying the hard to find studs and they were high grade metric hardware. there were are at one time several other people that went this route, i don't know if any of them still run them, i personally never had any problems.

basically what i am saying is that you could save over $200 on stuff that may make it nicer but not necessarily function any better.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

I would be extremely surprised if my vibrations are being caused by my wheels/tires...it rode perfectly smooth before I put the lift on, so I'm guessing it's the severe CV angles that are caused by so much lift in the front.

I will try and figure out whether I need to run the top out spacer or not in the next few days.

As for the money situation, not that its really anyone's business, but at first I had other plans for the money that I was saving up for, those plans went away for various reasons and now I have enough money to invest in my 4runner which is really my only hobby.

Thanks for the help, and by the way grimpy, thanks man, Roger set me up with everything I need: Bumper bracket, radiator bracket (may not be needed but he said he would take it back if I don't end up needing it), steering extension, upgraded hardware.

Thanks for all the help guys! Sorry if I ignored all of the stuff that the Tundra/OME guys said...I figured the spacers would be a simple bolt-on lift without causing all of the problems that they did.

If the vibrations turn out to be caused by something other than the lift (possibly could be the rear now that I think about it) I will bow down to you and apologize for my igorance.

Thank you again for all the help!

All thats left to do now is to hear back from Steve from Sonoran, I got an email early this morning (1am'ish) from Roger and I ordered everything I will need.

Later guys,

Fink
Old 12-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Alright, money's been sent to SS for:

Super soft bumpstops - 100% bolt-on package

1" tapered diff drop

Parking/Emergency Brake Cable Bracket

Excellent, pretty much everything has been ordered the only not set in stone yet are the extended studs from Localmotion...he may end up wanting to keep them depending on how much they are from Wheeler's and how much he got them for. I just called Wheeler's but they didn't answer so I'll try back in a bit.

I'll keep you guys posted for sure!

Fink
Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 AM
ORB

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I would be extremely surprised if my vibrations are being caused by my wheels/tires...it rode perfectly smooth before I put the lift on, so I'm guessing it's the severe CV angles that are caused by so much lift in the front.
Was the alignment shop able to get it back within spec?
I just called Wheeler's but they didn't answer so I'll try back in a bit.
I think they are closed today.

Sorry if my earlier post came across as prying or condescending.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, after I got my inner tie rod ends replaced I had them align it and the only dimension out of spec was the SAI and it was only off by a tiny bit.

Good call on Wheeler's, I forgot they were closed on Fridays...hmm...hopefully Matt won't find parting with them.

Does anybody know how much they are from Wheeler's usually?

No big deal man...trust me, this is more money than I was wanting to put into it...but the more I thought about it, and the more problems that came up with the spacers, it convinced me to do it right from the beginning, like everybody had told me to do from the start.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 06-30-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:10 AM

Don't forget pics.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
how about skipping the play-by-play on all your ordering details and just put pics up of your install and final results?

bob
Old 12-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

fink,

if you still have vibrations after your new suspension, I'd say use your stock wheels/tires cuz I believe you have two sets right? If the vibrations go away you know very well that the people that installed the other set didn't do the right job. Vibrations only at specific speeds are a GOOD sign that it's the tires not being balanced correctly as it's just harmonic vibrations and depending on your speed it comes and goes. this is well documented on many forums including here so keep that in mind.

as for you spending gobs of $$, if you got a few to spare, send some this way

now get your rig done and post pix w/ final results!
Old 12-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Haha, thanks Lance.

Just to clarify, as it sounds like this might be getting confused by some people...even after getting the lift put on I never switched wheels/tires, I am still running the stock Limiteds and 265 street tires. I have been running the same set that came on the rig when I got it...the new Lexus wheels are here in my living room and the BFG's are at Sam's. So that is my main reason for doubting the wheel/tire combo as a suspect because I had just gotten them balanced a week before the Cornfeds were put on...but I appreciate the suggestions Lance.

I will be getting my Lexus wheels and new BFG's on before I take off the Cornfeds so that'll be a good way of finding out if it was indeed the lift or tires...so I will post up with some results about that.

As for the money, my bank has low rates on loans if you guys would like to follow in my footsteps, my loan advisors name is Stephanie

Thanks again for all the help!

Fink
Old 12-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

*WHEELS/TIRES ARE ON!!!!*

Got the Muds and Lexus wheels mounted today at Sam's..unbelievable customer service, HIGHLY recommend Sam's for all your tire needs...amazing!

Only problem I had today:

Ordered 4 Lexus LX450 wheels from Colorado Wheel Company, the warehouse in Colorado had 3 matching wheels, there was a fourth at a satellite warehouse that they dropshipped to me...turned out it wasn't OEM and was an aftermarket copy. Everything looked fine except it was bright silver (others are not) and the lug nuts did NOT fit. So right now I am running on 3 Lexus wheels and one stock Toyota rim (obviously in the back).

I called Colorado Wheel Company and they are overnighting me a wheel tomorrow and it should arrive here Thursday morning and then I will get it mounted. He is sure this one is OEM, he isn't positive that it will match the other 3 but he said if it doesn't to run with it until after Xmas and he will set me straight after that.

Overall, not a big deal. It looks fine and the tires look AMAZING!

Thanks to all for your help, these wheels look AMAZING!

Also received my coils and shocks today for the front, should be getting all my parts in this week, get it all organized and figured out this weekend over Christmas and then start making appointments Monday to get it all put on.

I will first get the body lift put on and then get the Cornfeds taken off and new coils, shocks and top-out spacer with extended studs put on. After I am sure that all of this works and my CV angles are acceptable I will replace all CV boots and use my new rolled-edge hose clamps that I got today to secure them as tight as possible.

Overall, this is all coming together quite well. The Runner looks SO awesome! Better than I could have possibly imagined!

I will post up after all of the lifts and such have been put on.

Thanks again for all the help!

Fink
Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

As far as the vibrations go...still there. New tires and wheels made no difference, as of now the only thing I have to go on is the severe angles of the CV's.

I think Sam's needs to rebalance my tires, the wheel has a little bit more vibration now after the mudders are on so I'm guessing they couldn't quite get em perfect.

I'm going back Thursday so I will have them recheck it.

As far as road noise, as I expected, not bad at all; given that I've got the Vortex Muffler its not much louder at all.

Overall I'm extremely happy so far with the tires and wheels...it will get much better once I get the other OEM rim on and it all matches.

I still can't get over how good it looks...its amazing.

Thanks again guys, pics will be up sometime tomorrow...it's gonna be a busy day so it might take a little bit.

Fink
Old 12-21-2005, 05:40 AM
lee
Contributing Member

STILL NO PICS!?

hahah cmon!

good thread though.. please keep us posted on how that list progresses

also: why'd you repaint your whole rig if youre gonna wheel it?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Lee,

Pics should be coming up today...looks like it might start snowing so that'll be cool.

As far as the repainting goes, I got keyed about a month and a half ago at my University parking lot. They got every body panel except for the hood, bumpers and roof. I paid to have the hood and bumpers done and insurance paid for the rest. I figured a really nice looking truck out on trail or one with some funky lines going all around it...when it only cost me $500 to get my whole rig repainted, I figured, what the heck?!

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 12-21-2005 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:59 AM
lee
Contributing Member

ah, my fault, i forgot that you got keyed

snow or no snow, i wanna see those rims.......

good luck on the lift.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:pat: where the heck have i been. i haven't seen this thread before today.

your list looks good except for the radiator brackets (definitely NOT needed).

also, maybe i missed it, but what are you doing for the rear?

Quick Reply: New Lift Idea