Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Bridgestone Revos, finally.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveCOS
I'm suprised also. My dad in the 80s/90s had Bridgestones on most of the farm trucks, they handled well and lasted for many miles. I've had their Winter Duelers on our car and they have performed well (although didn't last very long). How can a tire only last 10k miles? Don't take this personal, but I'm trying to understand what happened. But almost any tire including BFG ATs have stories of tires wearing out quickly (saw one on this forum I think stating only 14k miles). Was a defect or flaw identified, was it replaced under warranty? I will say we did have Coopers on the farm and they were good tires, certainly a good value, but ultimately we switched to Bridgestone for some reason. I think the dealer service was better.

Dave

They weren't flawed, didn't get replaced by any warranties or anything. They just wore out after 10K.....I could never see myself getting any of the brigdstone Light truck tires, The treads aren't aggressive enough, even the M/T pales in comparison to even its firestone counterpart. I don't hate bridgestone or firestone by any means, but with all the other tires out there....theres alot of choices that could be better IMO. We could argue preferences till rapture, it's the same way with oil brands. Alot of it is experience and family tradition, and I doubt theres any way to show conclusivly if one tire is better than another with all the variables that could come up. It's not my place to make decisions on tires for others, all I've got is an opinon.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Van91DSM
Are the Revo's a decent offroad tire? I'm looking at them as well. I think the reviews at tire rack are mostly soccer moms and the like. My BFG A/T's never let me down when I had them on my '85 back in the early '90's, but I'm considering the Revo's. It's either the BFG A/T's or the Revo's, although one friend is telling me that the Pirelli Scorpion is very good, but I'm thinking that the Scorps probably suck and would get stuck in sand/mud faster than either the Revo or the BFG A/T's. Any opinions on how the Revo's hold against these two tires? I'm looking at 265/75/16's.

I'm sure you can guess what I'd say in this case. When it gets right down to it.....if you're going to go through mud, you should proabably get a mud terrain tire. My mastercrafts are not loud at all, and ride almost as good as the street treads I had before. My dad had perelli's once, said they were the worst tire he ever had on the truck.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
They weren't flawed, didn't get replaced by any warranties or anything. They just wore out after 10K.....I could never see myself getting any of the brigdstone Light truck tires, The treads aren't aggressive enough, even the M/T pales in comparison to even its firestone counterpart. I don't hate bridgestone or firestone by any means, but with all the other tires out there....theres alot of choices that could be better IMO. We could argue preferences till rapture, it's the same way with oil brands. Alot of it is experience and family tradition, and I doubt theres any way to show conclusivly if one tire is better than another with all the variables that could come up. It's not my place to make decisions on tires for others, all I've got is an opinon.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate how you responded and considered what I posted. Seems like I've had a few instances recently in other forums where I posted a response to a comment like yours, presenting a contradictory view and asking for more info, and got flamed in a very immature manner. In all cases I tried to do it in the same manner as I did here, just trying to find out more info to better make my own decisions. (Still don't know what tire to get )

Dave
Old 10-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jvangun
I have not noticed any rubbing including going over speed bumps in the neighborhood I live in. Gas mileage? I've only driven about 50 miles. I don't really do any rock crawling so imagine that these will do just fine for highway driving, wet pavement, snow, gravel, and mud. I would eventually like to get some new springs and shocks and figured might as well size up on the tires now since they will fit anyway rather than buying a new set once suspension is on.
Sounds like your driving is a lot like mine. I'm about 180 miles or so north of you so I know about your snow in the winter. I've made my mind up to get the REVO's...Still want to hear your opinions on the 75's VS. the 70's as you get a few more miles on them.

If you can,would like to see a side pic with the Sun behind that would show how those 75's fit the wheel wells.

BTW...You going to the race this weekend?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:12 PM

Not a problem, will try to get them up this weekend! Sorry, what race?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Not a problem, will try to get them up this weekend! Sorry, what race?
Cool...No hurry...Just want to see the Diff between stock 70's VS the 75's. Thanks!

Oh, the NASCAR race at the Kansas speedway...Busch and Cup...If you didn't all ready know then you really need to stay off 435 North this weekend.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:19 AM

Nope, not a huge fan, please no body flame me for saying that. You coming down for it? I actaully live just south of the speedway in Olathe and you could actually come down and take a look at the tires yourself? Let me know if you want to. Otherwise, I will shoot some pix this weekend.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Nope, not a huge fan, please no body flame me for saying that. You coming down for it? I actaully live just south of the speedway in Olathe and you could actually come down and take a look at the tires yourself? Let me know if you want to. Otherwise, I will shoot some pix this weekend.

Thanks for the offer...I would love to check them out but I'll be with a group and won't be doing the driving. You shouldn't worry about being flamed for saying that your not a fan...not everybody likes football/baseball, etc... same with racing. If you don't mind and can get just one side pic with tire definition in the wheel well that would be awsome!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:51 PM

Did you go with the P265/75R16 or the LT265/75R16, and if so, did you get a C or E load rating? I just want to know if they ride any different...
Old 10-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bruciep07
Did you go with the P265/75R16 or the LT265/75R16, and if so, did you get a C or E load rating? I just want to know if they ride any different...

Glad you brought that up...I keep forgetting to ask him about the "P" versus "LT" Thanks for reminding me!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the difference between LT & P?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Citykid
What's the difference between LT & P?
LT (light truck I believe) tires are usually available in different load ratings. P tires are for passenger vehicles and are usually a lighter duty tire. LT tires can have as many as 10 plys. Not sure about P tires.

"""Stolen from Tirerack"""

The load range or ply rating branded on a tire's sidewall helps identify its strength and ability to contain air pressure. While specific load ranges are assigned to passenger tires, load ranges are identified in ascending alphabetical order for light truck tires (the further along the letter is in the alphabet, the stronger the tire and the greater amount of air pressure it can withstand and load it can carry). Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings were used to identify the relative strength of light truck tires with higher numerical values assigned to tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions.

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers found inside the tire, but indicate an equivalent strength based on early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric body plies, or one steel ply.

Passenger Tires

Since most passenger tires feature Standard or Standard Load Ranges, only Reinforced and Extra Load tires are designated in The Tire Rack's descriptions.

* While Standard Euro-metric tires will have nothing branded on their sidewalls, Extra Load or Reinforced Euro-metric tires will be branded as such and identified by an "RF" or "XL" in their descriptions, as in 305/50R20 XL or 305/50R20 RF.

* Standard Load P-metric tires will have nothing branded on their sidewalls or may be branded as "Standard Load," while Extra Load P-metric tires will be branded as "Extra Load," and identified by an "XL" in their descriptions, as in P235/75R-15 XL.

Light Truck Tires

Since light truck tires are often available in multiple load ranges, the appropriate load range is identified immediately following the size's rim diameter in The Tire Rack's descriptions.

* LT-metric, LT-Flotation and LT-numeric tires will be branded with their load range ("Load Range E" or "LRE") or their ply rating ("10 Ply Rated") on their sidewalls and list their appropriate load range letter in their descriptions as LT245/75R-16E, 7.50R-15D or 31x10.50R-15C.

* ST-metric sized special trailer service tires will be branded with their load range ("Load Range D" or "LRD") on their sidewalls and list their appropriate load range letter in their descriptions as ST205/75R15 LRC.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 PM

This is so cool --- i just made an appointment for saturday morning to get some 265/75s put on my 02 --- have been wondering whether it is the right thing to do or not. This shows me that it IS the right thing!!!!!!! THANKS!!! I'm planning on some PP 1" springs soon, but I can't pass up the rebate.

ROCK ON 75s!!!!!!! (sorry about all the exclamation points, but I'm really stoked!!!!!)
Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 PM

Oh -- and by the way - the 75s were actually $15 cheaper per tire than the 70s - makes the decision pretty easy.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:04 PM

How much did it cost to have the old one's taken off and new ones put on? Did they need to be balanced?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

How much did it cost to have the old one's taken off and new ones put on? Did they need to be balanced?

WOW...Nothing to do in Queens tonight?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:53 PM

Ha ha ha, I'm working the overnight shift.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Ha ha ha, I'm working the overnight shift.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:14 AM

I paid $737. 73 out the door less $75 mail in rebate at a Firestone dealer. ~$155 per tire, $7 per to mount and balance (usually $11-$12), $9 per for road hazard, ususally $15, and lifetime rotation. I am probably going to switch to synthetic and when I change my oil will get the tires rotates as well.

I got the "p", the guy said you really only need the others if you are hauling a ton of stuff and these would be the best choice.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:15 AM

Costco's price is $135 per tire mountted & balanced - but they won't put the 75s on since they are bigger than factory spec. Discount Tire will match Costco's price - i was quoted $644 with the road hazard warranty and throw the $75 rebate on top = hard to say no to that price for 75s.

Quick Reply: New Bridgestone Revos, finally.