Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need to replace all my shocks! =(

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to replace all my shocks! =(

hey everyone!

i just got back from the dealership for a oil change and they told me that all four of my shocks need to be replaced, one front one is leaking, and the rear ones are sagging. they quoted me $500 for the job. I bought my 2000 4runner sport edition 2wd less than a year ago at Longo Toyota and it was certified, but they said it only covers powertrain. kind of bites that i have to replace parts in less than a year of owning. what should i do? should i replace with stock shocks? Can i do it myself? It will cost about $130 if i do it myself. OR should i go aftermarket? I don't go offroading and its mainly road use and i drive ALOT, i put about 16k in 8 months....hehe i'm looking for the most comfortable ride possible!!!

THANKS!!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:08 PM

4 years old and the shocks are gone from a "certified" Runner? Sounds strange...
Old 05-28-2004, 12:11 PM

What brand shocks are you looking at for the $130? Doing a job yourself is always great. You not only get the hands on experience but you save money. If you don't wheel and stick to the pavement I say go with whatever shocks you are looking at for $130. When the time comes I plan on going with rancho or ProComp shocks. if you look in the 4x4 mags or online at the parts suppliers sites you can come across the deals of buy 3 get 1 free if you look close. Good luck. Ben
Old 05-28-2004, 12:12 PM

Does sound strange to me too....
Old 05-28-2004, 12:13 PM

the $130 are the oem shocks....are the oem shocks best for on road?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:23 PM

couldnt tell you if oem is better on road. ive never gone for that set up on a rig. but if oems run you 130 and thats what you want go for it i say.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
130 apeice or for all 4?!

Are your tires wearing funny? I'd have a hard time imagining that your truck needs new shocks. If it's still riding normal and you're not noticing any bad handling out of it, i'd just go on with it. How many miles are on it?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:41 PM

the parts guy said 130 for all 4 shocks is that a good deals?! my tires looks like it wears okay. Handling seems okay, but i always thought it was a bit bumpy, i figured that it was like that since it's a truck... maybe the shocks were bad ever since i bought it and i just got used to it??? right now im at 66k

i did noticed something was weird on the passenger side. the bottom of the shock and coil was greasy and the driver side was dry.....
Old 05-28-2004, 12:51 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I have a 2000 SR5 and removed the OEM shocks and replaced them w/Bilsteins which are pricey. In my opinion, the suspension is stiff but I really love the way it handles.

The stealer said the rear shocks are "sagging"??? Sounds more like a spring problem...

I suggest you search the board. There's a lot of good info from others regarding other brands of shocks. A lot of your choice will be based on what type of ride you're looking for.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Diy

Originally Posted by Ishinc
hey everyone!

i just got back from the dealership for a oil change and they told me that all four of my shocks need to be replaced, one front one is leaking, and the rear ones are sagging. they quoted me $500 for the job. I bought my 2000 4runner sport edition 2wd less than a year ago at Longo Toyota and it was certified, but they said it only covers powertrain. kind of bites that i have to replace parts in less than a year of owning. what should i do? should i replace with stock shocks? Can i do it myself? It will cost about $130 if i do it myself. OR should i go aftermarket? I don't go offroading and its mainly road use and i drive ALOT, i put about 16k in 8 months....hehe i'm looking for the most comfortable ride possible!!!

THANKS!!
Change them yourself and save a bunch of $$$. Don't skimp on shocks as they are what make or break your comfort ride IMO. Like another said, research the board for info on shocks, but you aren't going to get any as cheap as the OEM ones that just aren't plain ole cheap, and not worth messing with. A good set of aftermarket shocks will run you upwards of $100 a pair, so $200+ for all (4).

I love my OME shocks, they ride much better than the OEM ones IMO.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2004, 01:26 PM

Ishinc,

Re-read your Certified contract. Also, I find it very odd that a 4 year old 4runner's shocks have blown out. But then again, S-happens.

$130 to replace all shocks doesnt sound right to me. Did you check the prices at the parts store for the shocks? Also, does that $130 include labor? Seems to me, something is not right because it should cost more to replace all the shocks.

Looking at your 4runner, does it sag?

And if you do indeed need ot replace the shocks, go aftermarket. i know i am very happy w/ Bilsteins. Pricey but consider that the shocks are such an integral part of your daily driving experience, its only pennies a day. Or at least thats how i look at it.

Bob
Old 05-28-2004, 01:30 PM
TOR

I can ship you the OEM ones for $94.90 to your front door for all 4. As for the sagging, that is not that uncommon in 4 runners and Tacos of that year.

Todd

Originally Posted by Ishinc
the parts guy said 130 for all 4 shocks is that a good deals?! my tires looks like it wears okay. Handling seems okay, but i always thought it was a bit bumpy, i figured that it was like that since it's a truck... maybe the shocks were bad ever since i bought it and i just got used to it??? right now im at 66k

i did noticed something was weird on the passenger side. the bottom of the shock and coil was greasy and the driver side was dry.....
Old 05-28-2004, 04:10 PM

Rick F. - how does it handle better than the stock shocks (corners better?)? is it very bumpy?

waskilly - how does your OME ride better than stock? is it firmer? is it not as comfortable as stock?

bob - why do you like the blisteins better?

TOR - i might take u up on the offer if i decide to stay with the stock ones! thanks, since you said its pretty common with the 2000, is it just a shock problem or a coil problems as well? my runner doesn't look like it sagging...looks pretty even to me!

EVERYBODY! thanks for the replies! keep them coming, i don't mind spending alittle bit of money for shocks as long as the ride is more comfortable... sorry that i'm asking alot of questions but everyone is saying aftermarket is better and i'm just wondering how so...
Old 05-28-2004, 07:33 PM

I just want you to realize, that (guys correct me if i'm wrong) the majority of aftermarket shocks will give you a rougher ride on the highway, but also decrease body roll and handle serious bumps better than the stockers. If you're a highway cruiser (which I assume you are with 2wd) I might stick with OEM shocks for the best ride.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Check you pm.
I live in LA and will sell you some OEM front shocks with about 4K on em for Low $$.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:56 PM

Maybe you should check another dealer. Unless you have an air assisted shock system, they have nothing to do with rear end 'sag'. All the shocks do is control suspension rebound, not height. Worn or broken springs will most likely be the cause of the rear sag. Either the mechanic is an idiot, or the dealer is looking to make next months electric bill off you.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by TechWrench
Maybe you should check another dealer. Unless you have an air assisted shock system, they have nothing to do with rear end 'sag'. All the shocks do is control suspension rebound, not height. Worn or broken springs will most likely be the cause of the rear sag. Either the mechanic is an idiot, or the dealer is looking to make next months electric bill off you.
He never said anything about sag.

If it were mine i'd probably just drive it as is if I saw no adverse effects. Sooner or later you'll replace them. The sooner you do the sooner you will again.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Push down on the front bumper. See if it bounces more than once, maybe twice. If it does bounce more than twice. Time for new shocks. As TechWrench said. Sagging is the springs not the shocks. The springs support the vehicle, the shocks control the bounce.

Bob, I too have a certified 4Runner. The contract does not cover suspension. Just drivetrain to 100K. Shocks are treated just like air filters. They are an expendable item that is replaced as routine maint.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by My99
He never said anything about sag.

If it were mine i'd probably just drive it as is if I saw no adverse effects. Sooner or later you'll replace them. The sooner you do the sooner you will again.
"i just got back from the dealership for a oil change and they told me that all four of my shocks need to be replaced, one front one is leaking, and the rear ones are sagging."

It sure looks like he use the 'sagging' word to me?
Old 05-28-2004, 09:49 PM

seriously guys, i don't see any sagging on my runner at all....maybe they were trying to rip me off?? anyone have service with Toyota of Riverside, socal?

sounds like if i want a smooth ride, then stock is the way to go...I just want to do it right the first time and $95 for all 4 shocks just sounds cheap, and i'll get what i pay for...

Last edited by Ishinc; 05-28-2004 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Need to replace all my shocks! =(