Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Threadjackers!
Old 12-31-2003, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
CC

Originally posted by INsr5runner
So I plan on taking a welding class at a local CC this summer (i hear its a really good class, and you get lots of shop time day or night. and it's cheap, maybe $100)

I've been googling for some tutorials, or basics of welding, but nothing has seemed that good. Anyone know of a decent how-to-get-started type of site? thanks

ps. waskilly has the best avatars
Definitely the best way to learn is by doing while being supervised and helped by someone else who knows how to weld, and weld well. Either get a friend to teach you or go the CC route, you won't be disappointed by the head and practical knowledge you acquire as both are beneficial in welding. Some of our fitters/welders can do complex math in their heads like you wouldn't believe!

Old 12-31-2003, 01:23 PM

Lincoln welders are better that most

Poul D'eau has got the best idea Lincoln welder with AC/DC output and uses 110 VAC. If you use stick then, you will need a helmet, slag hammer, decent grinder and a wire brush. Welding helmet is critical. Note: Welding for periods adds two things >> freckles and burn marks.

Remeber to wear lether gloves with a moderate wrist protection.

Old 12-31-2003, 01:54 PM

Since you've never welded before and are looking to do exhaust work and body mounts (in other words, thin metal) i would stay away from a stick welder and just save up money until you can afford a mig welder. There's no point spending $200 on something that you can't use, plus then you'll have to start saving money again.

I can guarantee you that you will blow through exhaust pipe if you try and stick weld it. You may have better luck with your body mounts, but it's extremely difficult to get the correct penetration when you're welding metals of two different thicknesses. Plus if you're working with your stock exhaust it's stainless steel and you need to use gas to weld stainless.

GL
Old 12-31-2003, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with FattyCBR, save up and get a MIG with gas.
You will be happy you did later.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:30 PM

Get the MIG. I have a craftsman (made by Century) and have had no problems. I also have a big lincoln stick welder. Trust me. You cannot get a good weld on sheetmetal with a stick welder. You'll burn right trough it. Lincoln makes a good welder as well as Miller. I might like miller just a little more. Check to see who makes that cambell hausfield. It's probably made by century. Century makes a decent welder too.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FattyCBR
Since you've never welded before and are looking to do exhaust work and body mounts (in other words, thin metal) i would stay away I can guarantee you that you will blow through exhaust pipe if you try and stick weld it. GL
I'll take that bet. I have repeatedly successfully welded exhaust pipe with my stick. Need to use 1/16" rod and turn it way down (40-50amps, max) but it can be done.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I did not buy a welder yet. The guys at Home Depot were very little help. In fact, the tool guy says to me, "hey I am off in 2 minutes, later."

I am going to listen to my uncertainty for once and be patient. They had a LE Welder that plugs into a normal outlet and comes with everything you need to get started. It was a auto wire feed instead of a stick feed like the one Brian suggested. That sounds so much easier for a beginner. However, the quality of the welder concerns me, and whether or not it will do what I want to do. The price was $200. I cant find it on the web anywhere.

Anyway, keep the input coming. In the meantime I am going to research this a bit more.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Here is an ebay auction of the LE Welder that I am talking about:

LE Welder

Crappy?
Old 01-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

How about craftsman welders? Like this one.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An 88-amp MIG isn't gonna weld too much more than exhaust tube and sheetmetal. Penetration of an 88-amp machine just isn't that deep. While this may work for you now, what about later? OTOH, it may be a good starter and you could always keep it for the light stuff and get a bigger machine later if need be.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:49 PM

If you ever plan on doing any body work get the MIG. You won't see a body shop using a stick welder. That craftsman one is very similar to the one I have. Mine is actually the older model of the 299 one on that same page. The gas really makes a big diference in weld quality. You don't have to chip off any flux. All you do when your done is grind it (if your repairing panels) and start preping. I've welded 1/2 inch thick stuff with multiple beads. I'm happy with mine.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:03 PM

I would recommend a TIG welder for fine body work.

Lincoln TIG welders
Old 01-01-2004, 03:11 PM

For Fine body work your right. The TIG is definately the way to go. Man I'd love to have one of those. That and a plasma cutter. Actually I'll stop there. My want list goes on and on
Old 01-01-2004, 03:32 PM

I know the feeling Mikey .. I know it all too well.

Just talking about it makes me:

Want to design and build a customer front bumper with front receiver

and

Rock sliders

and

Make my 2dr extra cab a little longer

and

Custom rear bumper with receiver

and

Can-Am cover plus ladder rack plus lots of light tabs

and

custom mounts for compressor plus tank

and

Iron fence and gate

Oh, I would almost give my left <insert anatomy part here> for some welding/bending/cutting gear.

:cry:

Last edited by amusement; 01-01-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:42 PM

Oh, I know. A metal shear and a brake. Man could I do some stuff with that. and a big air compressor. An oil driven one so that I don't have a heart attack everytime my 30- gallon Craftsman fires up. Man are those things LOUD!!!
Old 01-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mikey
Oh, I know. A metal shear and a brake. Man could I do some stuff with that. and a big air compressor. An oil driven one so that I don't have a heart attack everytime my 30- gallon Craftsman fires up. Man are those things LOUD!!!
You think the craftsman is loud.....I had a large IR that almost made me deaf.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Banned for dupe accounts

What kind of welder would you guys suggest for possibly making a rear bumper and some rockslidders. I like the $200 price range and nothing to nice just something to get the job done.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:41 PM

Scuba. You can defintely make bumpers and sliders with a 200 $ stick. Look for at least 100 amps. duty cycle has alot to do with it too. Look for at least 50% duty cycle. Heavy guage steel is alot easier to weld than thin guage material. You can pour on the heat and not blow holes in it. Exhaust tubing is pretty hard to weld with a cheapie welder especially a stick. It can be done though.
Welding body panels, exhaust tubing,thin guage stuff is pretty difficult with an inexpensive welder because you cant adjust the settings properly. If your gonna tackle some exhaust stuff you might be better off renting a small mig and giving it a go. I think buying a new 200$ welder is a waste of 200$ because you are so limited with what you can do with it. You might be better off spending a bit more money for a used welder.
Lincoln makes good stuff as well as Miller. Miller has a really good mig. Its 115 V. 135 amp i think. Does a really nice job up to 1/4 inch thickness. And is fully adjustable which is very important. Keep your eyes open for a used one.

Last edited by zedex; 01-01-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:13 PM

zedex is right on the welder. IT's better to spend a little extra and get a good machine. IT's just like buying hand tools. The extra money you spend on a quality product the better it will work and probably last............That's all why we own toyota's RIGHT???

Quick Reply: Need to buy a welder, any suggestions?