Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

National 4X4 show was awesome! (w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National 4X4 show was awesome! (w/pics)

Boy did I have an awesome Labor Day weekend! The UK National 4X4 Show was a 3 day event. I seen some of the coolest trucks I have ever seen and a European Safari Comp is something everyone should see. It's totally different than anything in the states. It's kind of like Mickey Thompson Baja on a small scale. These guys spent all day on Friday runnning a Trials that was really tough. They had to navigate their way through a course and lost points for hitting gates or having to stop or back up. Let me tell you I could barely walk that course can't imagine driving it. On Saturday it was the Safari Comp where they race against the clock. Flat out as fast they can go! Them rigs were taking a pounding! It was very impressive and exciting to watch. While all this was going on there was a great show as well. I seen everything from Falcontry to Lawnmower Races!!!! All of the UK's biggest manufactures were there!

This trip was also the first time I have gotten to camp this Summer. I just stuck a twin size coleman airmattress in the back of the runner and slept in there! Worked out really good!

Probably the best part was getting to meet Mark from the UK from here on the Forum and I also met another great guy, Steve and his wife. He's got a Hilux surf with the turbo diesel. I think he will joining this forum soon. We hung out most of the weekend together. It's always fun to get with other Toyota owners and shoot the breeze! There were a ton of Land Rovers at this event. I saw a total of 5 Runners. 3 were Hilux's and one was a UK version.

Overall it was an awesome trip. I am glad I went. Thanks to Mark for posting it or I would have never known! It felt soooooo good to be at a 4x4 event. After 3 years in the UK this if the first one I have finally gotten to

Here's a few pics

For the rest of the pics I made a webshots album. Click here Sorry for the webshots crap. I really gotta build a site someday.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:20 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice pics Joey, thanks for sharing these.
I hear the Trialing is very popular going arund the courses.

I have seen a few of those rigs also on the Discovery channel.
That green one is pretty cool, along with the Camel Trophy Land Rover.

That lifted maroon 4 door Hi-Lux is nice, as well as the rest of them.

Those tents on top of the rigs must be cool to sleep in.
How was sleeping in the back of your rig?
I have to much stuff in the back of mine to ever try it.

Looks like you had a great time, and glad you got to finaly go.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:33 AM

Awesome Joey! Glad you had a great time. It sounded like you had a blast and that is great. I am also glad that you could sleep in the 4Runner ok. I will have to try that sometime. Nice pictures and I am glad that you had fun. Thanks for the post, it is always good to hear about an experience like that. :fireman:
Old 09-02-2002, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Corey sleeping in the back of my rig wasn't too bad. If you were 6 foot or taller it could be a problem though. Being just me it was plenty roomy. Was nice being in the truck on Sat night when it got down to about 34 degrees. I fired up the heat in the middle of the night to get warmed up. I only brought my warm weather sleeping bag and was not prepared for that much cold. I will for sure camp in the Runner again, especially if it's only an overnight trip. Saves the hassle of paying a motel or setting up a camp.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by UKMyers
Corey sleeping in the back of my rig wasn't too bad. If you were 6 foot or taller it could be a problem though
I can vouch for it being a little cramped if you're over 6', I've done it (I'm 6'2"), but it's only a problem if there is more than one of you trying to sleep back there.

Glad to hear you had a great time at the meet, loved the pics!

Last edited by Fred Anarat; 09-03-2002 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:34 AM

we had a great time and it was also great to meet up with joey and steve we are going to have to start up a 4runner and surf club here in the uk as we even had someone come up to us and say that he was thinking about buying one and wanted to konw more about them I will get the pics up later tonight if i can

mark
Old 09-06-2002, 11:19 AM

nice pics!! those lifted pickups are wicked cool. (maine word for you guys) im gonna finish looking at the album now. glad you had fun! did you run your rig or just go watch?