Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My transfer case is DRY!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My transfer case is DRY!!! HELP!

Ok, I am out changing all my gear oils. (I can?t get the rear diff plug out BTW, any ideas?).

When I got to the transfer case I discovered something bad, it was virtually DRY!!! I just got the truck a few weeks ago and I have only used 4WD a few times. My question is 1: Is it ok? I used it about a week ago and it did work but I thought it was a little rough.

2: what could be leaking? There is a lot of oil at the bottom of the case, it has been leaking for awhile. I hope it is not the gaskect as I don?t want to have to pull the case and do that. Any other ideas? And dose anyone know what the torque on the case bolts is? I am going to re torque them all to see if that is it.

PLEASE HELP QUICK! Thanks!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes the rear diff drain plug is hard to get off the best way to do it is get a good strong breaker bar and hope you don't break anything.

No real good way to see to see if you messed anything up in the T-case other than pull it and you don't want to do that so put some fluid in it and see how it feels and sounds. It will probably be alright.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:34 AM

Rear output seal is more than likely leaking, Easy Fix. Unbolt the drive shaft, Un bolt the pinnion flange, Remove old gasket, install new toyota seal.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ADH8796
Sometimes the rear diff drain plug is hard to get off the best way to do it is get a good strong breaker bar and hope you don't break anything.
Just make sure you remove the filler plug first.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, pretty much figured that about the case. I have the rear diff soaking in some PB blaster right now.

That sounds like a possibilty but when looking at where the oil that has been leaking is i found that there is a LOT on the bottom, virtually none on the back-top of the case and a some on the front of the case. Which leads me to think that the leak is more in the front. Anything there that leaks? I just really need the truck tomorrow so i need to get this figured out.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:56 AM

I had to used a 2ft breaker bar the first time I did mine and a bunch of PB blaster, make sure you use a 12 point socket too, so you don't strip it
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Yeah, pretty much figured that about the case. I have the rear diff soaking in some PB blaster right now.

That sounds like a possibilty but when looking at where the oil that has been leaking is i found that there is a LOT on the bottom, virtually none on the back-top of the case and a some on the front of the case. Which leads me to think that the leak is more in the front. Anything there that leaks? I just really need the truck tomorrow so i need to get this figured out.
I had all of the oil leak out of the front output shaft seal on mine. The thing was blown so bad that it let muddy water in when I was playin' in a puddle, which my transfer case used for lube for around 1500 miles or so. It required rebuilding by that point. I think yours will be fine with a new seal and oil.

Good luck on that plug, I got one that's never coming off. Some people have welded bolts to them and got them to turn that way, once they're too far stripped.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-18-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Drama Queen/Banned

Originally Posted by guapo83
I had to used a 2ft breaker bar the first time I did mine and a bunch of PB blaster, make sure you use a 12 point socket too, so you don't strip it

12 point
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by paxil4x4
12 point
I have heard never to use a 12 point. Go with the 6. Can someone back me up?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by paxil4x4
12 point
Whats with the
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by mjwalfredo
I have heard never to use a 12 point. Go with the 6. Can someone back me up?
I used a 6 point and almost rounded mine off, so I switched to the 12 and she popped right off!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

What i have always been told and heard was 6 point to not strip but it could be that 12 point will work better. You never know...

Ok, so lets say it is the seals. Just how hard are they to change really? I don't have jackstands that are high enough for this truck so i am pretty much working under the truck. anything that i should know before i start?

I have done most things to cars but pulling a drive shat is one of the few i have not done seeing as i have never had a rear/4wd car before.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Here we go: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95095

I thought I read somewhere that a 6 point was better. That's interesting that a 12 point worked better for you guapo....

EDIT: Ok, now that makes sense... sorry about hijacking the thread for a bit....

Last edited by mjwalfredo; 05-18-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Linky no worky....

And no prob with the hijack, i was about to ask the same thing.

Now if somone could just tell me how hard it really is to change those seals...
Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Ok, so lets say it is the seals. Just how hard are they to change really? I don't have jackstands that are high enough for this truck so i am pretty much working under the truck. anything that i should know before i start?

I have done most things to cars but pulling a drive shat is one of the few i have not done seeing as i have never had a rear/4wd car before.
No really difficult thing to do, it will take some time though. Here's a link that explains most of the details.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eal/index.html

Just substitute the words transfer case front output for pinion. The same procedure is required, minus needing to account for any bearing pre-load which isn't applicable. And there's no breather on the transfer case.

I rebuilt my transfer case myself, and I thought it was going to be way more complicated than it was.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-18-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Fortunately, you don't really need to lift the vehicle to change those seals.
It's a matter of removing the driveshaft (front, usually), unbolting a "staked" nut, pulling the "companion flange", and replacing the seal.

Follow those links, and feel free to PM me if you need more details. I have a few pics of the job.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

That doesn't look to bad, if fact it looks to easy. Kinda like the oil seals on the block.

How hard is it to drop the drive shaft? Is it like the rear diff bolts, won't come off no matter what? or is it pretty simple?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:06 PM

I changed my front diff 75w90 last week and couldnt get the sob loose (10mm) allen bit. I ended up using an air hammer. I scored a gouge in strait then I held it an an angle (so it will break ccw) and BAM! it loosened right up.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by YodaPala
I changed my front diff 75w90 last week and couldnt get the sob loose (10mm) allen bit. I ended up using an air hammer. I scored a gouge in strait then I held it an an angle (so it will break ccw) and BAM! it loosened right up.
Ya i tried to change my front diff oil about a month ago, I couldn't get the damn thing out, so I finally got pissed and gave up. I'm gonna give it another shot next oil change.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that front diff plug is in there good as well. I just got back from some other work and am going to give them both another try. We shal see...

Quick Reply: My transfer case is DRY!!! HELP!