Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My poor 4Runner.... :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My poor 4Runner.... :(

Well, after being a proud owner of my 4Runner for almost 5 months it finally happened. Some idiot rear ended me today when I was getting off the highway and stoped at the STOP sign. Either people don't know what STOP sign is or have no idea how to drive. Here are some pics of the end result:

The other person was driving Chevy Tahoe and I'm pretty surprised that my 4Runner handled the accident rather well. The entire front, headlights, bumper and grill of the Tahoe were completely smashed. On top of that, that driver was citied too.

I don't think anything serious happened to the frame or rear suspension, so hopefully all that's needed now is rear bumper and tailgate w/window. I'll definitely take a look at everything tomorrow morning, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now...

-- Andrey

Last edited by Andrey; 09-28-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Is insurance gonna cover the cost? Hopefully...sounds like he was DEFINATEY at fault...hope all is well back there on the Runner.

Let us know the details when you get 'em!

Fink
Old 09-28-2003, 07:58 PM

Oh man, sorry to hear about your accident, hopefully you had full coverage, right?

Looks like like the 4runners are made very tuff, wish I could have seen what the tahoe looked like....:pig:

Anyway, good luck on the repairs ahead, and accept nothing but perfect.

Old 09-28-2003, 08:06 PM

I have full coverage with $500 deductable and that other person in Tahoe had insurance as well. Since the accident wasn't my fault, his insurance should pay for all the damages and cover all of my expenses . I will talk to my laywer tomorrow to see how I should approach the entire case, so hopefully fixing my 4Runner shouldn't too difficult. I'm just too upset about my 4Runner which was in literally perfect shape with not even a scratch before, and now this. Argh!!!

-- Andrey

Last edited by Andrey; 09-28-2003 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish some people would quit pickin dingleberries and drive.
Can't believe you got rear-ended at a dead stop...:pat:

Was the person on a cell phone?
....or was it a soccer mom in a truck way larger than she should be allowed to drive?

Anway, sorry to see you go through that.
Doesn't look too bad, just a tailgate and a rear bumper.

I agree, don't sign off until it is 100% OEM again

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-29-2003 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:05 AM

That sux man, where exactly were you? just wonderin. Hope everything goes well with the insurance company.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should have nothing out of pocket. Now's your chance to get a custom rear bumper fabbed. Find a shop that will "work with you"
Old 09-29-2003, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Andrey
Since the accident wasn't my fault, his insurance should pay for all the damages and cover all of my expenses.

-- Andrey
Hey... that looks nearly identical to the damage my Runner suffered several months back. I was rear ended by an 2003 Pathfinder in June. Should run the other guys insurance about +/-$5000 (depending on geographic location). I specifically told the shop I wanted ONLY OEM parts. My rig got a new OEM liftgate, OEM center & passenger wrap bumper, some new moldings, and new OEM Toy badging.

If you have to be in an accident, its not a bad one to be in. All the damaged parts were unbolted and the new replacement parts are then bolted on. No dent pulling, body filling, etc. It still sucks, but its better than many alternatives.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry to see you were rear ended! In really sucks when you get a door ding in a parking lot, a bashed bum is really a downer. The positive is that it looks like all bolt on parts. The repair should be relatively easy and they will put your baby back together again better than b4.

BTW, in almost all rearend collisions, it is the person who rearended the vehicle who is at fault.

Make sure you get a loaner and use only OEM parts, no junk yard pulled parts, you gotta watch those guys, they tried to use an old door from a junk yard on my accident.

Last edited by Sac State; 09-29-2003 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:11 AM

Sorry to hear about what happened. I have been in two and I know where you are coming from. I know from a fact that you believe it will never look the same or as beautiful as before, but it is not true. The shop will do a great job and help you out. Everything will be as good as new before you know it. The most important thing is that everyone was ok! Goodluck. :fireman:
Old 09-29-2003, 06:14 AM

Re: My poor 4Runner.... :(

The other person was driving Chevy Tahoe..........

-- Andrey
Well that's your problem right there, he was just jealous .

Anyways, good luck in getting that rigged fixed back up. I hope it does, it's a really nice ride. There is no doubt that the other guy was at fault, MAKE HIM PAY DEARLY (Muah hahahaha ).

Glad you came out of the accident unscaved, take care bro .
Old 09-29-2003, 09:09 AM

Sorry about the wreck...hope you get it fixed quick

Just be careful and check the work thoroughly. I had a friend that had about the same thing happen, and the rear door was pushed forward and actually damaged the sides and top of the truck also, but the body shop overlooked it. He found it later and it took a good lawyer to get it fixed right. Make sure when you get estimates that they look at everything (even the spare tire/mount etc...). And there's also A LOT of electrical stuff in that rear lift gate, that body shops are known for not connecting correctly. It's just better to be strict about it at first than to pay for it later. Don't sign ANYTHING until it is 100% fixed to your satisfaction.
Good Luck, hope you get a nice loaner
Old 09-29-2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
I wish some people would quit pickin dingleberries and drive.
Can't believe you got rear-ended at a dead stop...:pat:
Sorry to steal some glory but the same thing happend to my 4Runner last Tuesday. Same story basicaly, sitting at a stop sign, but I got rear ended by a 17 year old girl in a 95 Grand AM! No she wasn't cute. Im hoping to get the cash and run. I can bend the bumper back and possibly get some sliders.
Attached Thumbnails My poor 4Runner.... :(-rear-bumper1.jpg  
Old 09-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry to see that!
Ouch!

Hopefully everything will work out for you. I have a friend who was rear-ended in her nice new 6 month old Echo a while back. The jackass was on a phone and rear-ended her with so much inertia that she hit the car ahead of her and it ended up involving something like 8 cars.

The car was gone. Totalled.
The trunk was shoved into the back seat (but didn't compromise what would have been backseat passenger safety). I got a chance to look under the hood and there was a large crack going straight down the engine. For the most part though the passenger areas were pretty solid.

This was in a little Echo - who knows what kind of punishment our larger trucks can take
I don't think I'll be straying from Toyota anytime soon.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:05 PM

My .02

1. Collect the check.

2. Get the work done on the rear hatch

3. Put what is left over towards a custom rear bumper!
Old 10-03-2003, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by DrumheadAR
Sorry about the wreck...hope you get it fixed quick

Good Luck, hope you get a nice loaner
After going back and forth the other person's insurance company agreed to fully cover the repair costs and a rented car. I finally dropped off my 4Runner today and here is what I'll have for the next few weeks:

This is 2004 GMC Envoy XL with only 17 miles on the odometer and it doesn't even have a license plate yet! GMC certainly is nothing compare to 4Runner but at the same time it isn't too bad either, especially considering 4200 Vortec 275hp engine which gets me from 0 to 60 rather quickly

-- Andrey

Last edited by Andrey; 10-03-2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:02 PM

Bummer sorry to hear that happen in such a "beautiful" town as this.. Im guessing it was at the Grant exit.. Those Bastards dont know how to drive thru there.. I hate that area 8) Once you get it fixed up. you can ditch the GMC!! whhooooo!!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by rondo221
Im guessing it was at the Grant exit.. Those Bastards dont know how to drive thru there.. I hate that area 8)
Pfffffffffffft. Damn near every driver on 17, 51, 60, 101 or 202 doesn't have a clue and it's a crap shoot on the 10. I drive surface streets back and forth to work (48th Street) and have had many, many "aldamnmosts". Too many for an sixteen mile round trip. Sorry about your truck dude, hope the hitch gave 'em hell. We are suffering from serious big city / ill designed roadway disease. 30 years ago, 17 was a sea of tranquility.

Who's doing the body work?

Mike

EDIT: BTW, Rental car = fastest, best handling, best braking car you've ever driven into the ground. Have fun beating the bowtie into submission.

Last edited by azrain; 10-03-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by azrain
EDIT: BTW, Rental car = fastest, best handling, best braking car you've ever driven into the ground. Have fun beating the bowtie into submission.
Amen to that, hehe! I feel kind of bad abusing brand new car though, but hey.. gotta test what's GM is capable of, right?

The thing that I'm impressed with so far with is the engine they put in this GMC. I was driving home tonight, pressed the accelerator the usual way I do in my 4Runner and daaaaaaaaaaamn... almost 100 mph in just seconds! Some scary stuff...It's probably going to be my dream now to have such peppy engine like that in my 4Runner, but being as reliable as Toyota engine.

-- Andrey

Last edited by Andrey; 10-03-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...It's probably going to be my dream now to have such peppy engine like that in my 4Runner, but being as reliable as Toyota engine.
So when are you getting your supercharger?

Quick Reply: My poor 4Runner.... :(