Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My new 4runner off to a rough start... Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new 4runner off to a rough start... Pics inside

Well I've owned my 4R for a little over a month now and so far I had the antenna mast snap off in the motor, rear coolant line snap($500 repair) and now I was rear ended last night. She was accident free and really clean so I hope everything goes my way and they don't try to screw me over. It just happen last night so it will be a week or so before the adjuster can get out to look at her. What do you guys think is it going to be too costly where the other guys insurance will try and total her out. She is a 2000 Limited with 130k miles and just purchased over a month ago for $7500.

Pics:

Obviously rear bumper, tail gate and rear body/quater is now hitting the rear door.

Last edited by Rapter; 12-31-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's not the rear fender, that's the body. I doubt an insurance estimator will be able to tell how much it will cost to return it to as-before condition. You might want to get your own estimates before taking their check.

Straightening and repainting that rear quarter panel will be mighty expensive.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:10 PM

Take it to a cpl shops to get estimates. Doubt it will be totaled. Sorry to hear, almost the same exact thing happened to me a cpl months into owning my 2000 limited. this would be a good time to get a custom rear bumper....its how i ended up with my front TJM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:11 PM

remember this, toyota last forever.... do yourself a favor, install a custom bad ass rear bumper. Then you'll be allset the next person who hits you will get more damage and probably will be totaled

T
Old 12-31-2009, 02:14 PM

oh and by the way, if it gets marked as totaled.... i'd buy your seats. i need both front seats for my runner.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
That's not the rear fender, that's the body. I doubt an insurance estimator will be able to tell how much it will cost to return it to as-before condition. You might want to get your own estimates before taking their check.

Straightening and repainting that rear quarter panel will be mighty expensive.
Thanks I meant quarter panel/body. I have that same feeling, but finding another really clean loaded is going to be tough so I hope it works out and I don't get screwed. Stupid guy at the dealership wouldn't tell me what body shop they use so now I'm going to have to take to the best one I know of.

Last edited by Rapter; 12-31-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
Take it to a cpl shops to get estimates. Doubt it will be totaled. Sorry to hear, almost the same exact thing happened to me a cpl months into owning my 2000 limited. this would be a good time to get a custom rear bumper....its how i ended up with my front TJM.
I'd like to get a couple different estimates, but the bumper is hitting the rear tire and I'm not sure if I should mess with it or take to one really good/reputable shop that I know of and let it be seen in its actual accident condition.

It's going to be a daily driver that will never see any off-roading so I'm not sure of any custom bumper that will look good.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 PM

You can pretty much bet thats is going to be totaled because a body shop in your area is going to charge a fortune to fix that. As for the bumper hitting the rear tire, just bend it out of the way...its already damaged so its not going to affect anything.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:42 PM

ah, that brings a tear to my eye.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Well I never really introduced myself here so I figure this is a good opportunity. Once they got it to the body shop they told me it would be put on a frame machine and most of it would pop back. Paint came out great which was what I was really worried about. Overall everything went well except that they have to adjust the rear bumper some and they have to order me a OEM plastic part that sits on top of the rear bumper.

She's back

Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too bad you didnt get a real bumper out of that deal haha. Looks good tho
Old 02-22-2010, 04:33 PM

I'm honestly kinda shocked they didn't total it. Good for you man!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Smile

Looks good! What did it cost to repair? I had similar damage done to mine.....cost about $5000.00 to fix. They pulled the body back, replaced the rear hatch, one bumper end, and the rear bumper piece. They also repainted everything to match the rest of the truck. It should have cost half of that, but they didn't do the job right the 1st time. I was in a really bad health crisis at the time, and didn't have the energy to fight with them over the price, and just wanted my truck back! I'm never going back to see them again!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM

I to was shocked that they didn't total it. I had some stuff on order a couple of days before she was hit. I kept asking the adjuster if it was going to be totaled because of pending orders. The guy said it would be about 10k for the payout so he didn't see it costing even half of that. In the end it cost them about $4200 and all the work is guaranteed for as long as I own the truck.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 PM

How you liking the projectors? I'm glad your rig made it out alive.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Contributing Member

Looks really good. I'm surprised it turned out like new again, good thing they didn't send it to the scrap yard.

You should of at least got 01-02 tail lights though.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:40 AM

This ... system of totaling. In Europe we used to repair vehicles and put them back on the road after rear bumper finished in rear seats. You just bend the frame back, bend back all outside panels and replace if they have sharp corners. Body shops here just make a business out of us (customers) and insurance covers it.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by AlexJet
This ... system of totaling. In Europe we used to repair vehicles and put them back on the road after rear bumper finished in rear seats. You just bend the frame back, bend back all outside panels and replace if they have sharp corners. Body shops here just make a business out of us (customers) and insurance covers it.
Depending on which country you live in, the labor costs are what determine whether or not they total the car. In countries where the labor is cheap, they'll pay someone to do all that work, but in the US or Canada, the labor is so much more, so rather than incur all that labor, they just replace panels, or total out the car.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Wow, that came out nice. The gaps look correct and it seems like a good paint match. Enjoy!

Andreas
Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by fightman80
Depending on which country you live in, the labor costs are what determine whether or not they total the car. In countries where the labor is cheap, they'll pay someone to do all that work, but in the US or Canada, the labor is so much more, so rather than incur all that labor, they just replace panels, or total out the car.
Italy, France, Germany...
The Europe tend to eliminate waste as much as possible. Allot of totaled cars here either finished in junk yards or sold to some mechanics who will do this kind of work. But there are tons of metal, plastic and other stuff landfill our land where we live.
Allo tof body shops in my area are for "easy" money, so they don't want to take any jobs if they not making 100% profit on top of the work done. In Europe 10-20% profit is a sucessuful business. I used to work for a company and when we get a new General Manager, his introduction speach said that running a company with less then 60-80% profitis is not worth a try. I hope not everyone like him.

Quick Reply: My new 4runner off to a rough start... Pics inside