Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Multi-Mode 4WD w/5spd possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I'm confused

So I have an '02 4Runner with Multi-mode and an automatic. Is it possible to go to a 5speed? By possible I mean with the wiring and CPU issue. The mechanicals I believe can be worked around.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 AM

Pretty sure multi-mode was only available in 99-00. Unless you have 4hi, 4lo, and push button all wheel drive?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 AM

'02 4Runner

I have an '02, which is 4Hi and 4Lo with a pushbutton for 4wd (the center diff is unlocked at this point). Then I have to press a seperate button to lock the center diff. So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is with the '02 going to a 5 speed, would I have to switch ECU's? I don't understand if wiring from the auto is going to the ECU and would cause problems with it running.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 AM

oops bad post

Last edited by CYi5; 02-17-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM

The only way to get around the CEL is to swap in the appropriate 4WD manual ECU for your year and cross your fingers. I have yet to see anyone accomplish it without a CEL, most people just pull the bulb. There are a few more threads on here and ttora, search around.

Manual 4runner ECU's are also not easy to come by i'm finding. This makes me wonder if I can use a '99 tacoma manual ECU with the same specs (4x4, 3.4, manual, e-locked.) I can't seem to find a reference listing part numbers for ECU's anywhere .

I still haven't verified the thing about the digital odometer and the speed sensors in ABS.

Check out these links:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...speed+swap+vss
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...ght=speed+swap

Last edited by CYi5; 02-17-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks

I think I understand now. So it will throw the CEL but still run correctly and the digital odometer is unconfirmed. The complication with the '01-'02 is that is also has VSC and TRAC which is controlled by the ABS sensors and ECU I assume. So I'm not sure if swapping in an ECU is even possible unless I abandon those features.

Hmmm. Always wanted a 5-speed but they werent offered in 02 when I bought mine new.

I'm just weighing the costs between a valve body upgrade and going to the 5-speed (it it's possible) since i'm getting ready to supercharge.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:48 PM

I've got a 00' Taco, 3.4, 5speed, TRD E locked....etc

If you want my ECU code LMK - it would be the same as a 99' since neither had yet went to the TBW yet.

I swapped my trans for a unit from an 03' - this Taco had the same electronic transfer case that would NOT work in my setup. The dimensions were just about identical but the electronics and rear output were totally different.
This is the same transfer case that is used in the 4Runners.

So... perhaps that means that, yes, you can use an ECU from the Taco?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread.

I think the most plausable path from here on, atleast for me, is to try to figure out what all the wires on the case do and rig up a system of relays that actuates all the components in it, and operates the ADD (which is fairly simple and has been done before, I've heard).

I have:

-the VF3AM t-case
-a dash out of an '01 limited
-dash harness, 4WD ECU
-a '98 manual 4Runner 4x4 ECU
-R150F
-A spare '97 auto ECU that's been hacked apart
-a clutch, flywheel, new master/slave cylinders, clutch lines, pedal, pedal bracket (I paid the same amount for the clutch as all the other parts above)

To do the swap, I believe that I'll need:

-a whole engine wiring harness for a manual truck (I don't want to hack up my auto harness when a used manual harness is $200).
-Driveshafts
-modified cross member(s) and presumably new transmission and t-case mounts

Complications:

-The grey wire mod has been done to my truck, I'll need to double and triple check the wiring but I'm sure that the rear diff's ECU no longer needs the engine ECU or 4x4 ECU to actuate the diff. I hope. If this becomes an issue, I'll consider scrapping the whole toyota rear locker system and getting air lockers.

-VF3AM control: custom. I think building a custom curcuit is the only way to go at this point. Trying to fiddle the damn thing into the existing wiring is quite a headache to look at, and deal with. A custom curcuit/harness/controller would remove the transfer case from the engine's wiring system, leaving an owner able to put a 1UZ or diesel in its place; without having to undo hard work already done. Theoretically, the cost would probably be the same as grafting it into the existing electrical system when you're paying a professional to figure it out. I'm expecting to pay about $1500 for this part of the swap. I hope.

-VSS. As far as I know, my '96 depends on a VSS in the t-case, much the same as the '98 manual 4x4 ecu does. However, there's a unit out on the market that can convert the mechanical signal from a VSS into a digital signal that could trick an ECU that expects an output from an ABS wheel sensor - it could be done. Fortunately, as far as I can tell, nothing fancy is required for my swap; just bolt up my VSS into the covered port on the VF3AM. I hope.

-Engine ECU: Wire it so it's a 5speed, maybe even a 2 wheel drive if you can. The engine doesn't need to care about the ADD or t-case anymore, all that is handled by your custom work. Just make it drive without any CEL's.

When will I do this swap? I dunno. Probably after I finish the garage I bought, haha! Anyway, I figured this logic might help some of you guys who may still be contemplating this swap.

I've debated just buying an 80 series cruiser and be done with it. triple lockers, AWD, solid front axle, full-floater rear and 4wheel disk brakes, stuffs 35" tires, all from the factory. The milage sucks way worse... but oh well. But alternatively, I'm tempted to do the t-case swap just to see if it can be done by a shade-tree mechanic in his spare time.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 PM

Ill go ahead and bring this one back from the dead incase anybody's still following this.

Ive got a 99 Multi mode auto 4Runner and have a R150F trans, drivelines, pedals and all the rest out of a 97. I was planning on throwing in the 97 tcase when I do the swap, but this got me thinking. Will I be able to bolt up my current VF3AM transfer case to the R150F and avoid some electrical mess? The Tcase would just plug back in. Then all I would need to do is jump the wires to make the ECU think its in neutral, right? Im probably in over my head but ive got the parts so theres no turning back now.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:26 AM

If it helps at all, all the 4x4 Hilux Surf's from '96-'02 came with the multi-mode TC, and some of them were manuals. TOYDIY might be useful to see what they've done on the 5M trucks, I'm not sure if the newer Surf's ever got the digital odometer though.