Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which mid 90's 4runner is better....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which mid 90's 4runner is better....

Hi, I'm a newbie (and a female) seriously shopping & researching 4 runners and after reading alot of bad reviews about the '95 4runner(and others?) with it's head gasket problems, I'm hoping you guys (and gals) might have a few educated opinions on which mid 90's year might be better over another right off the bat??
thanks!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by designrtx
Hi, I'm a newbie (and a female) seriously shopping & researching 4 runners and after reading alot of bad reviews about the '95 4runner(and others?) with it's head gasket problems, I'm hoping you guys (and gals) might have a few educated opinions on which mid 90's year might be better over another right off the bat??
thanks!
'96 and up have the 3.4L V-6, which has a much better reputation than the infamous 3.0L (as in the 1995 4Runner). Definitely get a 4runner that is 96 or newer for a more reliable engine (it also gets better mileage and is more powerful).
Old 08-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

if you check to be certain that the headgasket has been replaced (toyota can check with the VIN) that should be no reason to dissuade you from one 2nd gen (90-95) or another.

after looking into a newer 3rd gen, i finally decided to keep my 93 -- i kept hearing people say they wish they'd never sold their 2nd gens.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:38 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
After 95 they changed the engine, away from teh old, but incredibly reliable 22RE 2.4L and the 3.0L (or 3.slow, as a lot of people call them). The newer engines are also very reliable, and any HG problems were dealt with by a recall for free hg replacement. As a general rule, they're very good, as long as you take the normal, scheduled maintennance seriously, and had more power than the older engines.
Over, the trucks are incredibly tough and very trustworthy. Look at how many, and how old, are still on the road today. Mine is still in great shape, looks...not new, per se, but still in excellent shape, and that's almost 20 years. Once again, a little attention to the scheduled maintennance, and keeping up on any little stuff, like a loose bolt you find, or a broken light, you know there's a million little details on any vehicle that can go wrong. You treat them even fair, and they'll keep right on going, and going...
For an idea on how tough they are, check the video in this thread to see just how tough. Me, I have absolutely NO regrets about getting mine...

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: Welcome to the forum, and hopefully to the wonderful world of 4Runner owners!

Last edited by 2ToyGuy; 08-01-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:42 PM

I'd suggest getting a 1996 or later 4Runner, for the reasons mentioned above: greater power, economy, reliability, etc.

Also, as for the head gasket on the 1995 and earlier models: many people have recurrent problems, even with the new headgasket.

Also, if you plan on keeping your 4Runner for more than a few years, the 96 plus 4Runner should have better resale value, for the reasons cited above. The early 90's 4Runners, of which the 1995 is an example, are starting to slide in their resale value.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on how you plan to use it. I have both; a '95 2nd generation, and a '97 3rd generation 4Runner. I much prefer driving my '97 as a daily driver. Better engine, nicer ammenities and ergonomics, better gas mileage, and several other reasons. Both models can be found as stock with good 4x4 capabilities, but starting in '96 an e-locker became an option.

You can probably find a 2nd generation 4Runner cheaper than a 3rd gen, and if the head gasket issue has been resolved, the 3.0L should last a long time. One disadvantage of buying a '95 4Runner -- the recall campaign ended for VIN numbers built after the middle of the model year. They supposedly "fixed" the problem and will not warranty it if the head gasket goes and your VIN falls outside the range of those covered. This happened to me, and I was left holding the bag for repairs.

I have put a lot of $$ into my '95 4Runner to turn it into an off-road toy. It's great for that purpose, but if I were buying a stock 4Runner that would mainly be used as my daily driver I'd definitely get a '96 or newer.

Ed
Old 08-01-2005, 04:42 PM

thanks for all the sincere advice! Very helpful! The vehicle will be my only transportation and mainly for my job that can entail slight to moderate offroad conditions and then there's the daily rough dirt roads regarless...I have just about beat my 95 Nissan Altima to death and I have always admired the rugged classic styling of the 4runner and am quite aware that they will "go" forever. (I used to own a '69 landcruiser, but unfortunately it left in the divorce!).
I think my best choice will be a '96 for reliability reasons and future resale, too. I am finding tho, in my area, near Austin, Tx., the supply/demand for 4runners is high and the only '96's I can afford seem to have a lot of miles, which can be meaningless if it's been well cared for, I know.
One that I'm really interested in right now: 96, 172k miles, 'great' condition, $4950.00. If it checks out, would you pass it up because of the miles, or does it sound pretty good?? I'll post a link to the pics if I can figure it out.
thanks.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4x4 or 2wd? How much life left on the tires? When was the timing belt last replaced?

If you can afford another couple of thousand, you can usually find an excellent '96 - '97 with less miles. I've seen a few on eBay recently in your area for a good value.

Ed
Old 08-02-2005, 07:53 AM

I ran the VIN last night and discovered it's a '94, not a '96 as listed! So I'm really not interested now anyway. It's a 4x2, the tires look very good in the pics, don't know about the timing belt, it's for sale by a dealer. I have emailed the dealer about the VIN, but don't think there's any mistake, it's a 94. I tried to upload the pics, but the file was a too large.
I have been watching ebay closely and there have been a few lately, but $7000 is probably as high as I can go.
thanks!