Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual VS. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by turboale
Oh yeah, and I haven't driven a newer 4Runner/Taco manual, but generally truck trannies are far from short throws. My step-mom's trooper manual really is like rowing a boat, each throw is a good 8inches
Believe it or not, my 4Runner shift throw is about the same as our 94 Accord. Just thought I would point that out. Its really pretty decent.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:50 PM

I don't have a 5 speed, I have a 20 speed
Old 07-11-2003, 01:41 PM

Gee, guys. Thanks for make me feel like crap all over again that PreRunners aren't available with the wand.....
Old 07-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RebuiltRunner
Gee, guys. Thanks for make me feel like crap all over again that PreRunners aren't available with the wand.....
Prerunners also aren't available in 4X4, oops, sorry, didn't mean to give you something else to chew on.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:30 PM

Manual!!! I have an auto and every morning I fire it up I wish it was a stick. I like rowing. Unless its in this lousy pittsburgh traffic!! Then the auto's nice. But overall I'd still take a manual
Old 07-11-2003, 04:26 PM

my understanding is the 2000 is the last model year to offer a manual, so really Toyota is limiting your choice for you

but I'm with the manual crowd - been driving stick for 20 years, just got a 2000 with auto and miss rowing like crazy

You listening Toyota?!? Bring back the stick!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by turboale
So... I think where we are going with this thread is that its a personal choice.
I think that is what it comes down too. I plan on getting a 90-91 4runner, and ive heard people say auto is more gutless than a manual, so i was just wondering if that was true. (although most of them said that was only on the 1st gen) Thanks all for your help. Soon i will be getting my 4runner, i can't believe it's taken so long. :cry:
Old 07-11-2003, 06:00 PM

I like being in control.
I like my engine-braking ability.

I see no trouble with hauling w/ a stick. If you think that's a good reason for an auto...then explain to me why all semi-trucks have a stick...?

I see no trouble wheeling with a stick...you have much more control than with an auto. The only advantage with an Auto is not having any worry of stalling. (but it's not a worry of mine)

Yeah, personal preference is definite here. I'll be driving a vehicle with a manual transmission until I can't drive any more...

Jim
Old 07-11-2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by spoogy
my understanding is the 2000 is the last model year to offer a manual, so really Toyota is limiting your choice for you

You listening Toyota?!? Bring back the stick!!!
I know that 2000 was the last year you could get base Tacoma 2WD with a V6. I don't count the S-Runner because you gotta buy the whole susp, pkg along with the V6.

Somebody punch Keisur for me, I'm busy typin'.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by jruz
I like being in control.
I like my engine-braking ability.

I see no trouble with hauling w/ a stick. If you think that's a good reason for an auto...then explain to me why all semi-trucks have a stick...?

I see no trouble wheeling with a stick...you have much more control than with an auto. The only advantage with an Auto is not having any worry of stalling. (but it's not a worry of mine)

Yeah, personal preference is definite here. I'll be driving a vehicle with a manual transmission until I can't drive any more...

Jim
The semi truck I got my class A license on had an automatic tranny. Most large trucks have automatics these days because it reduces accidents. Also most large semi trucks these days come with Eaton auto shifters. You uses a bad example.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-12-2003, 04:36 AM

It is a personal preference and depends on what you plan to due with your truck. You all stated some good points for both auto and standard, If you know how to drive standard very well then you most likely will favor a standard in almost any vehicle with that option. If your not so good at driving standard chances are you wont like it no matter what. From experience hauling heavy loads the standard transmissions saved me taking off and climbing hills and especially slowing to a stop. Today’s standard shift transmissions are smooth, tight and easy like a good, well I won’t finish that sentence.

If you want to complain about a standard shift, drive an old worn out Ford 3 on the Tree and I will agree an automatic would be a better choice.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RebuiltRunner
Somebody punch Keisur for me, I'm busy typin'.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting thread. I feel like we are debating over beer choices or political candidates :-)

I have and have driven both. I think I am most amazed at how many improvements have been made over the past 5 years to both auto and stick transmissions. I was a stick snob for years and always enjoyed the stick for the windy mountain roads that I use to drive daily. With the updates to auto transmissions and the additional control the newer units provide, I have become a fan of auto.

In my 3.0 I would have never imagined anything but stick. It had enough challenges and the technology wasn't nearly as good as it is today. In my 2K 3.4 I love the auto (yeah I know I am older now too) and between the ECT and OD control, I spank most kids in their stick (comparable) trucks. That is probably more due to their lack of knowing how to drive than technological advantages.

It is all about purpose and preference in my mind. Enjoy the diversity.

To throw another variable into the discussion. Anyone drive any of the new beemer or Lexus (I think Chrysler even has one now) electronic manual shifters on the new auto's? My wife drives a GS400 and that manual over-ride on the auto is sweet. A little strange getting use to the shifting on the steering wheel, but is amazing on winding roads, etc.

Isn't technology great?
Old 07-12-2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
Most large trucks have automatics these days...
Also most large semi trucks these days come with Eaton auto shifters...
Eh?...news to me. That's a shame, think of all the torque they're losing with an Auto.

...because it reduces accidents.
Now this argument...is complete BS. Maybe studies have shown this sorta thing is true...but when I drive, I pay attention. Too many "conveniences" have been introduced into the automobile...people forget that it's more than just a way to get from "A to B". It's a responsibility (kinda like that new insurance commercial "...cars don't need insurance, people do...").

The conveniences I'm talking about are automatic transmissions and cruise control. What better ways than for people to lose concentration on what they're out there to do...? OK, perhaps having some sort of auto-steering (auto-pilot?) would be the next step.

Bah...but that's a different topic.

Anyway, opinion is king on this topic...to each their own. Manual-tran. is my way for sure.

Jim
Old 07-12-2003, 09:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i will never drive anything but a manual. even if it means keeping my '79 forever

i think it's a shame to see that most all trucks these days are becoming auto only, i don't know why companies won't give us sticks for a lower price, since it's not really as complicated as an auto.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:36 AM

Another big reason that you are seeing everything going auto these days is due to emmissions. It is easier to stablize emmissions when the throttle is not moved around as much as with a manual transmission.

You are going to see fewer and fewer manuals out there in the coming years.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 07-13-2003, 08:00 AM

ive always said if you get a car, get stick. if you get a truck you'll never go too fast anyways, even with the supercharger, so it doesn't matter so much.

i like to relax in the 4runner with the auto(and my girl can drive it) and have fun with the stick, modified vw.

jus me opinion though.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:38 AM

NOw if toyota put a manual behind the elegant 4.7 and stuck it in a 4Runner I would buy one tomorrow. I love the toyota v8 and think it would be a blast to supercharge but my next vehicle will be a manual. Cause I am keeping my loved Automatic 4Runner

Really Toyota please put a manual behind a V8? I really want to stick with toyota
Old 07-13-2003, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gadget
Another big reason that you are seeing everything going auto these days is due to emmissions. It is easier to stablize emmissions when the throttle is not moved around as much as with a manual transmission.
You are going to see fewer and fewer manuals out there in the coming years.
Gadget
And yet another big reason, Women, for the most part don't like to drive manual tranny's and with so many women stepping behind the wheel of the bigger suv's and trucks these days the change to auto has become their luxury.

another personal reason I like it: Well, burn out a clutch - $300+ if you do the job yourself; torch an auto - $1200+ and that's if you do it yourself - I am talking brand new parts here not eBay picked up used ones, my auto tranny est. might even be low for a new oem one. Thank you but I'll take 4 clutches over 1 auto tranny any day.

And Gadget, I just quoted your post to add on to your reason for going auto, I'm not trying to argue with you with my last paragraph.

Last edited by keisur; 07-13-2003 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by NOTRUB
NOw if toyota put a manual behind the elegant 4.7 and stuck it in a 4Runner I would buy one tomorrow. I love the toyota v8 and think it would be a blast to supercharge but my next vehicle will be a manual. Cause I am keeping my loved Automatic 4Runner

Really Toyota please put a manual behind a V8? I really want to stick with toyota
There IS a manual behind the 4.7, just not a USA market Toyota.

Quick Reply: Manual VS. Automatic