Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual Hub Kit for $700 ??? Would you buy it ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
It always makes me laugh when people gripe about prices on things they do not have.

Marmot has them, Schaefer has them, Hunt has them, Jim has them. Yup, you are right, must be worthless.

The thing not yet mentioned is Jim has the Aisin hubs. Much lower profile, much stronger hub, less turn to lock, stock cone washers are still used. Yeah, manual hubs are a waste, especially doing it this way instead of in the kit.
People that take things out of context and mis-quote people make me laugh...

LOL anyway, that's NOT what I said and DEFINITELY not what I meant. What I MEANT by that is if it's JUST to reduce wear, then I don't see the point. If it's solely (or mostly) for the ability to isolate a broken shaft on the trail, then I totally see the point and I'm sure that after changing ONLY ONE on the trail then I'd WANT to go manual as well. I don't have a locker up front, so hubs wouldn't help me anyway EXCEPT to reduce wear and to improve mileage slightly, so for MY PURPOSES, they are not something I have on my to-do list.

Not trying to be an ass here, just clarifying my point and my reasoning while I'm scratching my head wondering why Brian is wanting to do this before he has a rear locker, much less a front one. Like Jim said, that money should be spent FIRST on other stuff, then on the hub conversion. There's some logic to that order that is hard to argue with.

Last edited by bamachem; 07-06-2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dragr1
You still running 3.90's with the 285's?
It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be when I drove it last week. I got about 14 MPG's for ~100 miles of almost ALL highway driving at ~75 MPH.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
No, that's not what I said...
sorry, I assumed that's what you meant.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
sorry, I assumed that's what you meant.
That's cool...just want to keep things straight.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Brakes

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I just thought of something...

If your brakes are the same as a Taco you could just run the Taco spindles "as is" and just deal without ABS...

I know the guys who have SAS'd Tacos just cut off the wires and deal with the ABS light on the dash.

OR

If you want to really do it right (since you have larger than stock wheels and tires), find a donor 4Runner with the bigger 13" brakes and a Taco with Manual Hubs and use the big brakes and the maunal hubs. The you'll have done a nice upgrade.

Just a few other options to consider.
Swapping spindles really shouldn't be that big of a deal and if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right and keep the ABS for now. The bigger 13" brakes would be a nice upgrade as well and I don't see any reason why they would interfere with the steelies. I'll just see if I can pick it all up at a boneyard.

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Your gas milage must be horrid. No kidding.
I get about 14 mpg now, so it isn't too terribly bad and can only get better.

Originally Posted by bamachem
Not trying to be an goat herder here, just clarifying my point and my reasoning while I'm scratching my head wondering why Brian is wanting to do this before he has a rear locker, much less a front one. Like Jim said, that money should be spent FIRST on other stuff, then on the hub conversion. There's some logic to that order that is hard to argue with.
I'm just looking at getting all this done all at once (lockers, gears, manual hubs) so I only have maybe one week of down time and I want to know what I'm getting into as far as cost. If it is going to sit for the gearing and lockers, might as well use the sit time to get stuff done.

Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Banned

All at once? Still dreaming of hitting the LOTTO, heh? Actually, it doesn't have to sit for the gearing, since you can pick up a cheap set of housings and have your new gears installed in them, then swap the front diff and rear third. That would give you MAYBE a day of down time. The manual hub swap is going to definitely throw a kink in that and add several days to the job for sure.

At least you're planning ahead...
Old 07-07-2004, 05:40 PM

BamaChem says: Wow. $1200 to know that you won't wear out CV's that are $80/side with a lifetime warranty... but I just don't see the justification for $1200. I don't see the justification for $900 either.

For clarity, that is what I was responding too. I my opinion, this is one of those things that people often write off as worthless and too expensive without seeing the gain. If it is worthless, than it is too expensive.

I know you have them too Steve. I just mentioned Jim having them this way based on doing what you are outlining rather than you using the ORS kit and swapping to better parts later.

Brian, one week down to get it all done? Good luck with that.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Full Float VS Semi Float.

I will not be stuck on a trail broke down. You can drive a manual hub 4Runner not only with the axles removed, but the entire front diff as well. If you drive an ADD 4Runner with the outter CV removed you will destroy the bearing within the first few hundred feet. To me that is worth it as well as the extra strength. Just another "invisable" non-cool mod.

Pass on it if semi-float works for you. Just that simple.

Stock axles are strong, Chromoly axles are stronger.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 07-07-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3

Just another "invisable" non-cool mod.

I thought the invisible mods were cool

-Casey
Old 07-08-2004, 04:29 AM
Banned

BamaChem says: Wow. $1200 to know that you won't wear out CV's that are $80/side with a lifetime warranty... but I just don't see the justification for $1200. I don't see the justification for $900 either.
That's why I wrote: "...anyway, that's NOT what I said and DEFINITELY not what I meant..." and then I clarified my statement. I didn't edit the previous post because I wanted you to SEE that I clarified what I was talking about. If it were ONLY for wear, then it's a dumb idea. If it's to isolate a broken axle WHEN YOUR LOCKED UP FRONT, then it's a great idea.

Anyway, no harm done.

Last edited by bamachem; 07-08-2004 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

Brian, one week down to get it all done? Good luck with that.
I don't see a problem with one week. he'll more than likely have a shop do the gear and locker installs and concentrate on the hub swap himself.

Originally Posted by bamachem
you can pick up a cheap set of housings and have your new gears installed in them,
Brian, I have a front housing if you want to make an offer on it.

Last edited by keisur; 07-09-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

So I know this thread is old...if I have a Tacoma with ADD, rather than a 4runner, and I want (someday) to convert to manual hubs, is the process somewhat simpler for me, in that there is less labor because I don't have ABS to start with, and, I imagine, my rotors are probably the same size as on a reg cab taoma?

Its late here, if this questions makes no sense, I apologize
Old 05-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ianshoots
So I know this thread is old...if I have a Tacoma with ADD, rather than a 4runner, and I want (someday) to convert to manual hubs, is the process somewhat simpler for me, in that there is less labor because I don't have ABS to start with, and, I imagine, my rotors are probably the same size as on a reg cab taoma?

Its late here, if this questions makes no sense, I apologize
It will be the same amount of work and you will need the same parts.

The exception being if you have the smaller brakes and find junk with good bearings and the smaller brakes.

The real factor is of the "junk" still has good unbent backing plates.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks steve, I guess the trick is just to keep an eye out for one thats been smacked in the rear (recently). No big hurry, just one more thing for me to think about for the future.