Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Manual Hub Kit for $700 ??? Would you buy it ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, looks like im in luck. My friend is going SAS on his 97 tacoma with manual hubs. he said in exchange for helping with the swap, i can have all the old IFS. looks im gonna be well on my way to manual hubs soon.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

I might have a source for the tacoma parts. He said that the right side of the truck took a hit and

"The Passenger side knuckle is probably jacked. Truck was hit really hard at the RF. But it didnt bend the wheel but the control arm is trash."

He said he can get me everything else off the truck its a 2000 model year tacoma. Is this something I should persue and can get a passenger knuckle pretty cheap? Or should I keep looking? About how much should I pay for these parts? thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

It really does not matter what year they come off as long as it is the cheapie base model Tacoma with the NON-ADD diff.

Most junk yards want 400 for everything includeing the axles, Hubs generally go for 100 to 150 for 2. You'll be missing alot of you just get the hubs.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

I just did the conversion. I paid $400 for used spindles, hubs and axles.

Be prepared to spend at least another $200 on new bearings and seals and probably another $200-$250 on bench work to have the hubs switched. I was unfortunate and had an additional $300 for a new spindle because one of my ABS spindles was damaged during the press work.

This isn't a cheap conversion. I think Steve was very smart for not going through with his intention to offer it for $700, he'd loose $.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

man I was hoping to get this right at the $700 mark.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sschaefer3
as long as it is the cheapie base model Tacoma with the NON-ADD diff.
ive seen more than a few 98-00 (not sure on older models) SR5 V6 Ext. cab tacos with manual hubs, i wouldnt call that a cheapie model
Old 05-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Well this is the reply I've gotten so far:

"this is an Ext cab but bare bones other then that. I cant be ADD because it has lock outs.

I'll give you everything for $250

shafts, knuckles, spindles, brakes, lockouts, I'll cut off the control arms at the frame and you can everything. "

I really don't know how I'm going to do this. I haven't even properly researched this yet. I wasn't going to do this for awhile, but this oppurtunity to get the parts presented itself. Let me know what you think I should do, and how? etc etc

thanks
Old 05-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1

"this is an Ext cab but bare bones other then that. I cant be ADD because it has lock outs.

shafts, knuckles, spindles, brakes, lockouts, I'll cut off the control arms at the frame and you can everything. "

I really don't know how I'm going to do this. I haven't even properly researched this yet. I wasn't going to do this for awhile, but this oppurtunity to get the parts presented itself. Let me know what you think I should do, and how? etc etc

thanks

Take it, you can always sell the stuff off for more later if you want.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

thanks

But hey, since you just want to go SAS down the road anyway, you should just shoot his number my way and I can take these things off his hands, and thus, solve your problem for you.

I know, what a pal.

Bill
Old 05-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bobzemuda
But hey, since you just want to go SAS down the road anyway, you should just shoot his number my way and I can take these things off his hands, and thus, solve your problem for you.

I know, what a pal.

Bill
Now why would you need manual hubs for a "parked" truck? j/k

yeah SAS in 2 years, but for now gotta work with the IFS for awhile.

Steve he said the knuckle on the drivers side is probably messed up. Is this going to be like a $300 part, or something that can be fixed or replaced pretty cheap.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Steve he said the knuckle on the drivers side is probably messed up. Is this going to be like a $300 part, or something that can be fixed or replaced pretty cheap.
Hey, I figured Chris was going to be leading the day and this brought two things to mind.

1) trying to follow him might have made my long drive home way to long
2) I was gonna ride with him for the ride of my life

I didn't even think about it, but you're right, I should have just driven when he decided to take off, for the water crossing alone.

Bill
Old 05-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

If ANY of it is less than perfect, pass and move on. You will be better off getting better quality junk from a salvage yard.

400 all good junk

250 plus 300 = More expensive in the long run.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

"I am not even sure it is bent. The wheel is pushed back to the fender, but Im not sure the wheel got hit or just the frame was bent and caused that. Do you even need the knuckles. I am pretty sure that your Runner has ABS and the Taco does not. The ABS sensor for the front is bolted in to the knuckle.

I have to pull the engine out then I will cut the front section of frame with everything on it. Spindles, knuckles, brakes everything."

So do I need the knuckles then, or would the ones off my truck work? so confused.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

"I am not even sure it is bent. The wheel is pushed back to the fender, but Im not sure the wheel got hit or just the frame was bent and caused that. Do you even need the knuckles. I am pretty sure that your Runner has ABS and the Taco does not. The ABS sensor for the front is bolted in to the knuckle.

I have to pull the engine out then I will cut the front section of frame with everything on it. Spindles, knuckles, brakes everything."

So do I need the knuckles then, or would the ones off my truck work? so confused.

You use the "knuckles" off your 4Runner but need the spindles and brass ring from the TacoBell.

You need these parts to be perfect:

Sha-Zam !!!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Ditto, what Steve said.

You will need to use your spindles (knuckles). You have to have your ADD hubs and bearings pressed out. Have the Taco Hubs pressed out and have the Taco hubs and new bearings pressed into your spindles.

And FYI, that little brass lock nut, shown in Steve's pictures has to be torqued to 203 ft lbs!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

ok thanks Steve, and Jim!

Hes cutting up the Taco next week, and then later on we'll get to installing it

Old 07-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Update

Did anybody ever actually do this? I see that Jim did, but can't find anything else about it. I'm considering it but would like to know more of what I'm getting into $$$ wise. Schaefer has a great write-up on his website btw!

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 07-06-2004 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Another advantage of manual hubs up front would be that you could put in a auto locker up front not have to worry about quirky on-road behavior, but have the added traction off road? Good luck to anyone trying the conversion...
Old 07-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Huh

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
Ditto, what Steve said.

You will need to use your spindles (knuckles). You have to have your ADD hubs and bearings pressed out. Have the Taco Hubs pressed out and have the Taco hubs and new bearings pressed into your spindles.

And FYI, that little brass lock nut, shown in Steve's pictures has to be torqued to 203 ft lbs!
Why press out the ADD hubs and the Taco Hubs? Are you putting the ADD bearings in the Taco hub? Is that it? Why? I thought you had to bet new bearings? I don't understand why you would have to do this....

It just ain't clicking...so hit me harder this time!

Old 07-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Why press out the ADD hubs and the Taco Hubs? Are you putting the ADD bearings in the Taco hub? Is that it? Why? I thought you had to bet new bearings? I don't understand why you would have to do this....

It just ain't clicking...so hit me harder this time!

The most important thing to keep in mind is that these parts came off of the chapest possible 4X Toyota makes.

Keeping that in mind, the truck DID NOT have ABS, and will not have ABS sensor fittings, The cheapie truck also had tiny tires and the smallest brakes possible. The larger rotors will not fit without moving over the larger backing plates.

Get it?

Quick Reply: Manual Hub Kit for $700 ??? Would you buy it ???