Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Major Fuel Leak upon Engine Startup. Cant find leak.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Fuel Leak upon Engine Startup. Cant find leak.

Past few days my 3.4l Runner would idle rough upon cold startups. The truck has been seafoamed, Throttlebody Cleaned Routinely so I figure it was not Carbon buildup or Air leak. I would then to smell fuel, I figure it was a bad injector etc.

One day after leaving work I started it up and it was Idling very irraditc, I went to go open the hood and before I even stepped out I saw a good amount of fuel pouring from the engine. I turned off the truck and inspected my lines.

From the Fuel Filter to the engine seems fine, No cracks or Leaks, and from the retur back to the tank there seems to be no Leaks in the metal lines going back.

On top of both exhaust manifolds seem to have fuel build up, and the fuel leaks down fromthe back of the engine down to the steering rack to the skid plate.

It is really hard to see where exactly the line is going that leaks but not visible right now. I seen a thread prior saying there is a line on thiem intake manifold but It was on a 91 Runner.

The injector rail on the passenger seemed dry and so did the line to it aswell.

Any suggestions/help is welcomed.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Could be o-ring on one of your fuel injectors is shredded. Hard to see unless you have someone in there looking while engine is running. Whatever you do do not, i repeat do not drive your truck. The exhaust crossover runs directly behind and below intake manifold and can get hot enough that it would be possible to ignite the fuel.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM

I agree, when they go up it is so fast you will not have time to get stopped before you have to get out.
Sometimes it is best to make an appointment with a tow truck.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Alright thanks for the advice guys. I will try to look in there and see if the leak is comming from the seal.