Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locking Hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking Hubs?

Once again I'm jumping a bit ahead of myself on mods. I want to try and get some locking hubs in the future. My question is what brand should I go with? I was thinking about the Aisin ones because that's what comes stock if you have lockers (Please correct me if I'm wrong, I thought I remembered reading that Aisin are pretty much the OEM Lockers for a Toyota 4x4)

Also where can I purchase them? I've checked the local junkyards and all of them are either gone, or broken.

I'm wanting to install these myself, how difficult is it to install these? I have the auto hubs (I think they're the ADD ones, where I can just shift into 4WD from in the truck, and go) does that make it more difficult to install them?

One more question, what should I get, should I get front or rear lockers? I'll probably eventually do both (if that's suggested ) but what would be better for me to do right now?

Thanks for any help

-Braden
Old 09-30-2002, 12:59 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Lockers don't necessitate that you have manual hubs. Lockers were not even an option on our rigs sad to say.

If you can, try and find the Aisin ones. They stick out less than the other makes.
I have a lot of good info on my homepage in the mods section on hubs.

And you have ADD, not auto hubs.
Auto hubs did not come on our year. They are very troublesome as they unlock on your if you back up on a trail.

If you want to install them yourself, you will need a few tools such as a 54mm socket, and preferably a brass drift to pound off the cone washers.

There is an article in our Tech section on putting on Warn hubs, and the install info should help you out some if you are wanting to do them.
I had my dealer do mine for one hour of labor.
Not bad at all.

I did rebuild mine myself which there is an article linked on my site on how to do it.

You can get used hubs online from www.nix99.com, and also in the search here I should have a place not to far from me that you can call and they can ship you a set.
Should be some good info here as this gets brought up every once in awhile.

If you are going to put a locker in, do the rear.
You can't do the front, and not the rear.
The rear one is more preferable than a front.

It's not cheap. I plan on eventually going with the Toy E locker, but I'm still looking at over $1K or more for labor, new rear gears for the 3rd member setup with the E locker.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:12 PM

Corey- Once again you're a wealth of information When I said Lockers, I meant manual hubs (I actually don't even know the difference between the two )

So I should go with manual hubs in the rear? Do you think that they're really worth it? I've read some stuff about them, but I'm still not sure.

Thanks for the info

-Braden
Old 09-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
We don't use hubs in the rear, your rear is locked in all the time as your driveshaft is back there spinning the rear tires.

The front hubs are used to lock the (not to be confused with lockers) front driveshaft so power is given to the front wheels for snow, ice, off roading.

Here is some good reads.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Braden,

I think you're still a little confused about what hubs are and what they do.

First, a little background:
Our 4runners have what is called ADD. This is completely seperate from hubs (auto or manual). The ADD connects the left axle to the right axle on the front only. The tires are always "locked" to the axles, so the tires always turn the axles whether you are in 4wd or not.

Manual hubs (like the aisin) means you have to get out and turn the knobs (you probably already know that). What that does is locks the tires to the axles. Otherwise, the tires will turn independantly of the axles.

Auto locking hubs are the type where you have to come to a complete stop and engage 4wd. This will turn a mechanism which locks the tires to the axles. To unlock the hubs, you have to backup for 20-30 feet.

So basically, hubs allow you to disconnect the tires from the axles. Therefore, you only have hubs on the front tires.

For lockers, checkout the 4runner FAQ section on the main page

Steve
Old 09-30-2002, 11:21 PM

Okay now this all makes sense to me I think I was at the point where I started confusing myself

Thanks for the help guys I'll go with the regular manual hubs on the front, mainly because I read that it's better for the truck, and makes the CV's and the tires last longer or something, and gives better traction off-road So It sounds like it's worth it to me.

Thanks again for clearing up my confusion

-Braden
Old 10-01-2002, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thread

91Runner - Check this recent thread...
Old 10-01-2002, 03:10 PM

yeah i have manual hubs on my truck. kind of a pain getting out and stuff sometimes..... but they are better than auto locking or ADD. there are some Warn ones in my pref. prod. magazine, but if you found some you like then... yup. i have a question about these myself... i was told to lock them in the winter, and going offroad i could lock them and switch to 4WD when i needed to. havnt had any problems yet.. but i havnt tried driving down the road with my hubs locked yet. is this okay? and do it in the winter. usually the roads here are pretty clear, with minimal ice and snow or anything, usually very dry. probably wouldnt lock em on this.

am i right about all this? thanks.