95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locker woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spaugh
Why are lockers bad in sand?
I have seen guys with rear full time lockers get really sideways in bad situations because both rear tires are spinning. If this happens when on a side slope that means your rear end swings down the hill. I don't think it is a huge issue but with my rig the TRAC system works really well in most situations and I don't want to loose it if I don't have to.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by freejake3
Anyone have experience with the Powertraxx. Apparently they have better on-road manners but are equally as competent off-road?

I'm pricing out the e-locker axles today so we'll see how much $$$$
I looking into the Powertax no slips awhile back. Lee actually bought one and later found out that it will not work in a 4Runner rear because ours are 8.0". However, yours is a 8.4" non trd rear so it will work for yours. From what I read they are quieter than a lockrite/EZ because they have little springs that hold the 2 main halves apart when it is "free wheeling". So just a bit more street friendly but otherwise the same concept.

Good write up on it
http://www.rocky-road.com/noslip.html
Old 01-02-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Priced the TRD axles today and their pretty freakin' expensive. I got quotes from $800 - 1000 for just the axle. This is from junkyards too so go figure. I think after all is said I don't have the cash (unless I score a "parting out" vehicle) for the e-locked axle.
The Lockrite may be the call. The price from PORC is certaintly workable. I have heard good things about Eaton as well but need to check for applications.
I can feel the greenbacks talking to me.......hurry while you still have it.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:48 PM

I've got both...

E-Locker in my 04 Taco, and dual detroits in my 89 Flat bed.

With the 89 I am locked whenever the diff senses a spinning wheel. I had to adjust my driving style a bit. The front end pushes sometimes, and I have to back off the throttle to let it unlock, then get back on it. I have no switches, wiring, or air hoses to worry about. I have not been extreme side hill yet. I expect if I get on a wet side hill, I will be puckering up...

The Taco E-Locker is awesome. Most of the time I run unlocked. The truck handles better with the diffs open. When I get into steep ledges or big rocks I hit the lock button, just to get over the obstacle. Once over, I switch it off. I added the 'Anytime E-Locker' mod, so I can switch it on whenever.

The Tru-Trac is the best option for a standard hub ADD front. Trac-Tec has a new version out which is a bolt in for Tacos with ADD, Machining for a side bearing is no longer needed.

All that being said, I think a low cost locker is a good idea. Especially since it can be sold later, as was said above.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by freejake3
Priced the TRD axles today and their pretty freakin' expensive. I got quotes from $800 - 1000 for just the axle. This is from junkyards too so go figure.
I know what you are saying but... It is my experience with junk yard guys that if you walk up with cash in hand they are much more reasonable than over the phone or just asking for a price.

That being said Andy I bet if you walked in to a lot that had a good one and showed them $500 they would do it. Could be wrong but as the saying goes Money Talks....
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Eaton just came out with their Posi for Toyota 8" Tundra V8/V6 ,Tacoma V6, Sequoia V8, (TRD Unit). Could be a good purchase.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Andy I know this is your thread and all but thought I would chime in on my final choice.

I even went over to Marc's and drove Rover again to help me make up my mind on this and be done with it.

So it is a Detroit Soft locker for me. For less than $600 I get a new locker/carrier and master install kit shipped from PORC. Have it installed by the guy who did Marcs and be locked.

I did some more searching for axle gear codes and found that I have 4.30's so no regear needed unless I go bigger than 33s which is not in the plans.

Interested to see what that Eaton is all about for your rig!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

Just got my lockright installed today, here are my initial thoughts

1. Cant really go around a cul-de-sac over 5 mph, have to coast through it. Really jerky when you do give it gas.
2. U-turns have to be with the clutch in or coasting
3. Parking/coming out of a parking spot also has to be done with the clutch in
4. When switching gears, sometimes it gives one tire more power than the other, so it kind of goes to the side for a second. (not a big deal at all)

All of which I think(hope) I will be use to within the next week. Havent had a chance to try it out yet, got home at 7 today and it was dark and raining. Only thing I did was a small rock pile at Classic City Offroad, and I got a tire in the air but still climbed up in 2wd. I am pretty pumped about trying this out sometime this week.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:53 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now see what you describe jwbehm is what I always feared with a locker, what makes it worse is I have an automatic and cant ride the clutch!

Maybe Marc can chime in here, but those reasons were the reasons I havent even really considered it to be on my list.
And I know its for a jeep, but this highlights the no slip powertrax I was looking into: http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...x_tj/index.htm

Last edited by CJM; 01-04-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

He has a Lockright locker...it is not a Detroit. His replaces only the spider gears. They are known to have rough street manners at times. Especially if you drive a stick.

I have a Detroit soft locker. It replaces the carrier, and is much stronger and more predictable than the Lockright style "lunchbox" lockers.

Detroit

Lunchbox

Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Marc,that answers my questions.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 PM

Here she is boys. Got it scheduled for install next week. This is the Eaton Posi which is rebuildable and replaces the carrier (like the DSL). It's got the carbon-fiber steel clutch packs which are supposed to keep it tame on-road. We'll see soon enough. One thing is for sure - I'm freakin' pumped.

EC - congrats. One more week til' the shake down run.

I can't stop this itch...............

Last edited by Sleeper; 01-04-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure if I can get it installed in time for Superstition. Gonna give it a shot though.

Awsome Andy! That Rocks! No more should I do this or that crap. So relieved.

And like Marc and Brad have said, if we don't like them after a year we can sell them for 75% of what we paid and are not really out much.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Speaking of gear ratios. I had always believed my gear ratio to be 4.10 but after finally checking the code I was disappointed to find out it's 3.91. Pissed. I know what I'm saving for next.

I'm sure it's been posted before but for those who aren't sure about their gear ratio here's a good site:

http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/ar....jsp?id=274535
Old 01-04-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
my detroit E-Z locker just came in today. Pretty much the same exact thing as the lock-right. For only $220 from 4wheelparts i wont mind it at all. Everytime i feel it engage im jsut gonna get a big grin on my face.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Try this site to double check that Andy.

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...es.htm#4Runner

That site you have listed confused the hell out of me. This site seems much more clear cut and easy to ID what we got.

I really thought I had 4.10s and was really happy to find that it was 4.30s.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:04 AM

Yeah it took me a little bit to figure out but I'll double check your posted site. Thanks.

Now how do I know which one of these it is:

VZN170L-CRMDKAB 3.909
VZN170L-CRMDKAB 4.100 With 10.5R 15 Tire, 7JJ Wheel

I'm guessing it's the second but I'll have to check the stock tire size first. Sure would be better than a 3.90

Last edited by Sleeper; 01-05-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Banned

I have one question reguarding the lockright,

Will I have trouble towing? The most I would ever tow would be one jet ski, so I know it will have enough power. I am just worried I will have a really hard time taking a tight turn with a trailer.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

I was just reading and had a question. In a reference above it sounded like someone mentioned that a Taco E-locker rear end wont work with an 01 4runner 3rd? I know the axle housing is different because of leafs vs coils, but the third couldn't be pulled from a taco. It has to be a 4runner???!
Thanks!
Old 01-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

the axle housing has a different bolt pattern from e-locker third and non-elocker thirds as well as the suspension differences...

Andy Congrats on the purchase!

Eric Congrats on the purchase!

I guess this thread was just what the doctor ordered.

Quick Reply: Locker woes