Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locker for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't lock the front of my DD with a full time locker unless you have manual hubs. Just put the locker in the rear, you already bought it and it really isn't that noticeable, you'll get used to it in a couple days and you'll automatically adjust your driving style to make it work, you won't even notice the adjustment it'll become natural very quickly.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

get them both!!!! hehehehe... then you will out wheel all your friends!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
I wouldn't lock the front of my DD with a full time locker unless you have manual hubs. Just put the locker in the rear, you already bought it and it really isn't that noticeable, you'll get used to it in a couple days and you'll automatically adjust your driving style to make it work, you won't even notice the adjustment it'll become natural very quickly.
This is what I thought originally too, but In the front, I am guessing that I would never even feel it at all. I am always in 2wd, unless I go wheeling, which is when I will need it. Makes perfect sense to me, because in NJ I get into some hairy situations on the road, and in parking lots, a lot of sharp turns, and quick acceleration. I am still thinking tht the front is the best way to go.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JHupp
This is what I thought originally too, but In the front, I am guessing that I would never even feel it at all. I am always in 2wd, unless I go wheeling, which is when I will need it. Makes perfect sense to me, because in NJ I get into some hairy situations on the road, and in parking lots, a lot of sharp turns, and quick acceleration. I am still thinking tht the front is the best way to go.
Lock the rear first, you may realize you never needed to lock the front to begin with.

My $0.02
Old 02-02-2006, 06:29 PM

damn, well if this isnt one of the most confusing descisions ever!, TEPUI, didnt you say you had a lockright in the rear and you hated it?? It doesnt even matter to me if I don't get as much off-road gain, some is better than what I have now, especially for $200, and I really really really don't want it to act weird on road, at all, like I said, in Jersey, I don't think some of the stuff I have been hearing will work. Any gain offorad like I said is worth it to me for $200, I just don't want to feel it on road.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

but (from what I've heard from everyone with one) you WILL feel the one in the front even in 2wd. The general consensus from almost everyone is to lock the rear first and to avoid things other then selectable lockers up front unless you're going to be wheelin it alot and spend the majority of your time off the pavement.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
The general consensus from almost everyone is to lock the rear first and to avoid things other then selectable lockers up front unless you're going to be wheelin it alot and spend the majority of your time off the pavement.
I have lockright in the rear- for what I do, it is ALL I need. I will get a selectable in the front when I can afford it. A Lockright in the rear is easy to drive with on pavement.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:48 PM

seriously with ADD, i'd reconsider doing the front and do the rear first.
I know of ZERO people with a front locker and ADD (other than ARBs) Sounds like trouble to me.

Contrary to what the Aussie site says, I've been told by countless peeps with more real experience than I, that the rear is where you want to start...and it's more transparent for DD

Find someone - anyone - any vehicle with a rear locker - ride with them - or see if they'll let you drive their truck - you'll see it's not a big deal.

I live in the city, my 4runner is my DD (my ONLY vehicle) - rear locker rocks, just keep your foot out of it and learn when/how it locks/unlocks
Old 02-02-2006, 06:50 PM

Ok, I'm gonna call the guy that sold it to me tomorrow, and ak him what he suggests. It seems that most of the people that says it rides rough, have a manual. Mine is auto, so I'm hoping that if I do lock the back it will ride smother. I always though that if you put one up front you wouldnt be able to notice it unless the truck was in 4wd, unless I am mistaken. I'm also going to ask him his suggestions, and post what I hear for your verification. Thanks again for being so patient with me here, I know most of you must be sick of this thread and my indecisiveness by now. Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-02-2006, 06:56 PM

damn, well if this isnt one of the most confusing descisions ever!, TEPUI, didnt you say you had a lockright in the rear and you hated it?? It doesnt even matter to me if I don't get as much off-road gain, some is better than what I have now, especially for $200, and I really really really don't want it to act weird on road, at all, like I said, in Jersey, I don't think some of the stuff I have been hearing will work. Any gain offorad like I said is worth it to me for $200, I just don't want to feel it on road.
I drove Cherry Hill, DC, Philly and NYC traffic this summer - with the locker - with mud terrains. With the Soft Locker it was cool - totally manageable- But, you ARE going to feel it with any full time locker. AND you will notice off road - you'll crawl where you used to have to mash it to make it up stuff.

If you want "zero drive vibe" save your duckets for the ARB (or maybe OX will come out with one soon?)

....just remember to keep your U joints full of grease!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simple solution. If you off-road alot, put the locker in the rear. If you off-road every now and then and you need the extra traction a couple of times, put it in the front. So how much you off road a month/year? You got to ask yourself this. My opinion on what you are describing, I would put the locker in the front.

James
Old 02-02-2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by SRV1
Simple solution. If you off-road alot, put the locker in the rear. If you off-road every now and then and you need the extra traction a couple of times, put it in the front. So how much you off road a month/year? You got to ask yourself this. My opinion on what you are describing, I would put the locker in the front.

James
This was my newest plan, but a few people were saying that you will still feel it in the front. I offroad once every other month. I would like to put it in the front, but like I said, I do not want to feel it on road in 2wd.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

The way I understand our drivetrains, with ADD front drive system our CV's, and diff's are always spinning. Both in 4wd and 2wd. The 4wd engages in the transfer case with auto hubs. So this would mean that a front full time locker would have the negative streetable effects all the time. The only way that this would not be the case is if the hubs were converted to manual. (which would cost more than doing an ARB locker) With manual hubs in the off setting the cv's do not spin which also means that the diff will not spin unless in 4wd.
All this aside the front drivetrain is not nearly as strong as the rear. A locker puts way more stress on the parts and I would rather slip a bit in the front and get a good bite in the rear than break in the front while slipping in the rear.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was my newest plan, but a few people were saying that you will still feel it in the front. I offroad once every other month. I would like to put it in the front, but like I said, I do not want to feel it on road in 2wd.
You WILL NOT FEEL IT IN THE FRONT if you have MANUAL HUBS!! The axles shafts are not spinning when the hubs are unlocked! I don't know why so many people have a hard time with this. The ADD with spin the passenger axleshaft but not the drivers intermediate shaft, at all times when in 2wd.

James

Last edited by SRV1; 02-02-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
The way I understand our drivetrains, with ADD front drive system our CV's, and diff's are always spinning. Both in 4wd and 2wd. The 4wd engages in the transfer case with auto hubs. So this would mean that a front full time locker would have the negative streetable effects all the time. The only way that this would not be the case is if the hubs were converted to manual. (which would cost more than doing an ARB locker) With manual hubs in the off setting the cv's do not spin which also means that the diff will not spin unless in 4wd.
All this aside the front drivetrain is not nearly as strong as the rear. A locker puts way more stress on the parts and I would rather slip a bit in the front and get a good bite in the rear than break in the front while slipping in the rear.
Eric- you hit the nail on the head.

Aaron
Old 02-03-2006, 04:02 AM
Contributing Member

I guess what i was trying to say is that if you're going to sacrifice any on-road ride quality to gain off-road performance, do the rear, and you might end up deciding not to do the front ever.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Seems to me, the ultimate 'lunchbox' solution to cover both axles would be an Aussie in the rear (if only Aussie made a locker for '01+) and a Detroit TrueTrac in the front. Granted, a TrueTrac up front would only provide 70%:30% split between the wheels, not an even 50%:50% like a true locker, but its better than 100%:0% when a wheel breaks loose. My understanding is the TrueTrac is a gear driven LSD (as opposed to clutch plate), which implies it would substantially less, it at all, noticeable (and more durable) up front.

Last edited by hillbilly; 02-03-2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

after thinking about it today, why not put it in becuase you already bought it and drive around for a week or so, if you really dont like it pull it out and sell it
Old 02-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hillbilly
Seems to me, the ultimate 'lunchbox' solution to cover both axles would be an Aussie in the rear (if only Aussie made a locker for '01+) and a Detroit TrueTrac in the front. Granted, a TrueTrac up front would only provide 70%:30% split between the wheels, not an even 50%:50% like a true locker, but its better than 100%:0% when a wheel breaks loose. My understanding is the TrueTrac is a gear driven LSD (as opposed to clutch plate), which implies it would substantially less, it at all, noticeable (and more durable) up front.
one of my friends has the same setup you mention on a minipickup, but with a LR on the rear, and the truck became virtually unstoppable for the type of wheelin' he does.

In my case, my Hilux went everywhere I pointed it with just the rear locker, so I never felt the need for a front device, be it LSD or locker.

Last edited by TEPUI; 02-03-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:22 AM

Ok, I knwo I have a million and one plans on this, but I am finally thinking about just throwing in a rear ARB, just thinking for now, does anybody know where I can pick up a compressor for it, that is under $200. The guy that I ordered the locker from said he would not ship it until I mad up my mind. He will gladly transfer the order to an ARB, but he wants $219 for the compressor and $697 for the locker. I know other places have it cheaper, but I allready paid this guy $200, so I at least have to get one of the lockers from him. If someone could hit me up with a link to a cheaper compressor, that would be awesome. Thanks,
Jason

Quick Reply: Locker for Daily Driver