Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locker for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YotaNate
What Aussie is saying is that a 4 spider gear setup would require a new case, similar to a detroit or arb. Thus you would have to redo the settings on your backlash and recheck the pattern. You don't have to do that if you mearly remove the ring gear and replace it, as with the 4 cyl diff.
this is not true with the lock right correct?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

you just pull the 3rd then split the spider gear case and pull out the spiders, drop in half the locker, put in the cross shafts then put in the springs and the other half of the locker and bolt it back together then put the 3rd back in. make sure to mark the bearing adjuster caps so you get the same tightness when u put it back together. Also as far as redline goes just call around, napa here doesn't carry it but carquest does so I'd just call places around you.

Last edited by Silver_Truck; 01-31-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:46 PM

Yeah, I might give it a shot with one of the guys from TTORA, he did one on a '98 Taco, so I think I'm going to ask him to give me a hand, as for the il, Simon suggested a different one in his thread, I will give that a shot first.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:09 PM

for a new vehicle like yours, I'd say either go w/ the Detroit Soft Locker or Aussie for a full time locker. And yeah, wet and snow will change the way it handles but it's REALLLLLY not like "spoooky scarey handling" like everyone seems to talk up. Just don't freaking slam the gas and yer fine. Keep your tire pressures the same and it won't freak out on the pavement as well....
Old 01-31-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by amorphous
for a new vehicle like yours, I'd say either go w/ the Detroit Soft Locker or Aussie for a full time locker. And yeah, wet and snow will change the way it handles but it's REALLLLLY not like "spoooky scarey handling" like everyone seems to talk up. Just don't freaking slam the gas and yer fine. Keep your tire pressures the same and it won't freak out on the pavement as well....
I bought the LockRight allready, what kind of locker are you running in yours, I have a similar setup, but only 32"s, and mine is only a few years newer. I'm not too worried about the snow, it really can't get much worse here, I'm used to slipping and sliding everywhere, plus Ill probably start using 4 wheel in the snow if it gets too too bad. AUssie doesnt make a locker for my model runner, but Ive heard pretty good things about it. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:08 PM

ah, DNK aussie was not making a locker for 3rd gens rears.

i've got a detroit soft locker in the 4r - i love it. AND, as most peeps say, the best mod ever done to their vehicle.

careful with using 4wd on pavement. That's were I always seem to get into trouble!

a
Old 02-02-2006, 01:16 PM

ok, really stupid question, but if I put a locker in the front, it would basically be on all of the time, not just in 4wd right? I don't think I'm going to install the lockright in the rear, I didnt really really need it for the light offroading I do, and I noly go like once a month, don't think it will even be worth it, espcially if the on-road characteristics will be different. But, if I could put one in the front, and only have it come on with the 4wd, I would do that.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:34 PM

you'd be better served putting a locker in the rear first.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:00 PM

yeah, I know for off-road that would be way better, but like I said, it is a DD, so I don't want to notice it on-road. Howveer, my thoughts on this may be unrealistic, but I don't want to spend a lot of money either. If I could toss a Lock-right in the front, and never feel it until I turn on the 4wd, I would be happier than a pig in shhhhh, anyway, I really don't know, but will you be able to feel a locker in the front even when the 4wd is off?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:01 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why?

I'm just thinking I have a front wheel off the ground a lot more often than the rear...(I'm considering a TruTrac in the rear and a locker in the front too)
Old 02-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

This is right off the aussie locker web page:

"If only installing one locker should I install in the front or rear?"

"We "Do Not" recommend the installation of a locker in the front of a vehicle that will be driven on icy highways in 4WD without manual hubs.

* If a vehicle has an IFS (Independent Front Suspension) system then the front installation will result in a dramatic increase in 4WD capability. This is because all IFS vehicles have very limited suspension movement (wheel travel and articulation) resulting in easily lifted wheels and a loss of front traction. Installing a front locker will solve the deficiency.

* If a vehicle has LSD (Limited Slip Differential) in the rear, then a front installation provides a significant improvement over the existing LSD and open diff set-up.

* If a vehicle has constant 4WD then only a rear installation should be considered.

* A front installation will usually yield the greatest improvement in off-road capability. This is due to the general requirement of increased in traction under hill climbing or rock crawling. Under full climbing conditions, due to the angle of the vehicle, the rear wheels carry a much greater weight (weight transfer) and therefore, the front carries less weight and tends to break traction very easily.

Once one front wheel starts to spin the other wheel stops turning and the whole front diff ceases to provide traction. At this point the load is transferred to the rear diff as if the vehicle was a 2WD and due to the increased load the rear wheels tend to spin and the vehicle stops. If you can stop the front wheel from spinning you have solved the traction problem. In addition to the traction performance a front installation does not introduce any changes in handling characteristics. "
Old 02-02-2006, 03:29 PM

wow, so I will only notice a front locker when in 4wd, it really makes much more sense to me because in my truck with a center diff lock, there is a 50/50 split betweenthe front and rear, and the front wheels loose traction much easier. I just want to be sure, that the lcoker will only work when in 4wd, and not in 2 wheel. I want this vehicle to handle like stock in 2 wheel, but be as nasty as it wants in 4wd. Thanks, somebody just please confirm. Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-02-2006, 03:37 PM

also, on all of the charts I see, the fitment chart for the front only goes up to 1999. I have allready purchased a 1620 model, but I dont think the front and rear diffs are the same, so I probably wont be able to install it in the front. I'm guessing I will have to return it to purchase a different model for the front. Anybody know what model lock-right is made for the front diff of an '01 Runner? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

The ultimate setup would be the toy Elocker swap into the rear, and an aussie in the front....

That is the setup my buddy went with in his 1st gen runner and drives completly stock on road, and walks almost everything off road....

An aussie in the front will not lock untill powered... so as long as the drive shaft is not spinning, then it acts as an open diff.... that is why you cann't install an aussie into an AWD vehicle.... I have one in the front of my bronco.... and love it!! big time improvment!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

and aussie goes 1986-2000
Old 02-02-2006, 03:51 PM

Nice, it basically has to be a lockright, because that is what I bought, the part # for the lockright is 1611, do you know if it will also be unnoticeable in 2wd? I believe they all work the same, but just wanted to double check. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 PM

dued, do you have ADD or manual hubs?

"We "Do Not" recommend the installation of a locker in the front of a vehicle that will be driven on icy highways in 4WD without manual hubs.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

It will work fine so long as it is not AWD.... Now that I think of it, my buddy is running the Lockright 1611 in his '88....
Old 02-02-2006, 03:58 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't the ADD disconnect one of the axles out of the carrier?

Even if it doesn't, manual hubs would make the locker transparent on the road. If you live where it snows, manual hubs would allow you to avoid the apparently sketchy handling of a locked front in the snow by only locking one hub and having 3WD.

Last edited by tc; 02-02-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:45 PM

I am not sure what I have up front, it is definately not Manual Hubs. I NEVER run in 4wd, unless it is very very snowy on the side streets in my neighborhood. In this sitation a front locker would probably be better. The only other time I use 4wd would be offroad, where I think the locker would make a huge difference, hopefully in a good way. The lockright says that it ratchets, so the wide turns shouldnt be bad at all. And for tghter technical sections, if I really had to, I could take it out of 4 wheel really quick. On road, if I ever had to use the 4wd, it would be in the snow, but like I said, I have NEVER had to use 4wd at above 20mph on the streets here,and even if I did, the ATRAC in my Runner should be able to help with any kind of slide or skid. I think this locker would be the bet choice, and I am trying to get the guy to change my order. Like I said, I just want the front locker to be completely unnoticeable in 2wd, it can be as nasty as t wants in 4wd.

Quick Reply: Locker for Daily Driver