Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locker for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JHupp
Yeah, I was just about to correct myself on the aussie locker, the lock rite or e z locker was going to be my second choice, and I have ehard they are almost identical. If I get it and don't like it, Ill put it up for sale on here. Also, what is the best fluid to use for the rear diff so I don't have to hear this thing ratcheting when I make tight turns?
I use Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil and can't hardly hear the lcoker at all...have to have windows down and stereo off and turn in a parking lot and can barely hear it. Roger Brown has a write up about it on his site as well, seems to like it.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
I use Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil and can't hardly hear the lcoker at all...have to have windows down and stereo off and turn in a parking lot and can barely hear it. Roger Brown has a write up about it on his site as well, seems to like it.
Awesome, all of this info is extremely useful to me, and hopefully to people in the future. I think I am going with the Lock right for the rear as the prices on e-bay for a brand new one seem pretty good. I need it for paragon on 2/12 so I'm gonna pick it up, and get it in, I'll let you all know how it works in my daily driver. Thanks for all the suggestions, and comments, any more would be extremely helpful as well.
Jason
Old 01-29-2006, 09:12 PM

Dont forget, that the locker will change the way the truck handles in snow.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:07 AM

I've had lockrights, ez lockers, detroits, and spools. Right now I'm running aussie lockers and I'm very happy with them. Quieter and smoother than a lockright or ez locker, and easier on tires and cheaper than a detroit. I found them on the PBB vendor page for 230 shipped.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:46 AM
Contributing Member

Subscribing.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by YotaNate
I've had lockrights, ez lockers, detroits, and spools. Right now I'm running aussie lockers and I'm very happy with them. Quieter and smoother than a lockright or ez locker, and easier on tires and cheaper than a detroit. I found them on the PBB vendor page for 230 shipped.
damn, damn, damn, damn, damn everyone has good things to say about the AUssie locker, and I would buy one right now, but they dont make one for a 3rd gen with the 4 pin 8" gears. I think I'm going lockright, from the e-bay link above, although I may wait on this, I can't decide what I'm going to do first, I still have a body lift on order, and I think I want a TJM front bumper.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:01 AM

Ok, well, to hell with it, I broke down and bought a Lockright this morning on e-bay from the link in the replies above. $220 shipped. I'm trying to get it on by 2/12 for my trip to paragon. If I hate it, it will be for sale on here in a few weeks. I am pretty confident it should do the trick, but we shall see. I'm gonna give the gear oil a shot too, any idea where I can pick it up? I have a NAPA and a PEP Boys like 10 minutes away. Thanks for all the wonderful info,
Jason
Old 01-30-2006, 07:42 AM

the redline oil you can order from summitracing.com

congrats on the locker! you will soon realize how much bang for the buck you actually got!
Old 01-30-2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Napoleon047
the redline oil you can order from summitracing.com

congrats on the locker! you will soon realize how much bang for the buck you actually got!
Awesome, thanks for the tip, any idea if it's something NAPA would have too? And I'm guessing I could check the manual for the capacity I need. I hope I wind up liking this, while it was only $200, and the installation looks easy enough, I dont want it to handle too too bad on the road. On my first wheeling trip to Wharton, the guys with the lockers made it through the mud noticeably better w/ same lift, and similar tires. I was spinning the tires and just crawling through in 4wd with the center diff locked. Thanks for the help again!
Jason
Old 01-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Eric, did some research on these and the website doesn't show an Aussie fitting our 3rd gens. It says rear 8", years 84-89. Is this the same? Here's a link to my research: http://www.aussielocker.com/make.php.../6b4a/99/.html
Again this is why I love YT. Good looking out. I thought that all 8" rears where created equal. Good info!
Thank You

I have just heard that they are less noisy and have better street manners which is what I am looking for in a rear locker.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
Again this is why I love YT. Good looking out. I thought that all 8" rears where created equal. Good info!
Thank You

I have just heard that they are less noisy and have better street manners which is what I am looking for in a rear locker.
No prob. I've been looking into the same thing but after PMing a few people, I'm pretty sure I don't want a full-time locker in the rear. Even though I play my music loud, I don't think I'd like hearing the rear end click every time I make some kind of turn.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

I really like the Toy e-locker that I had in my Taco TRD but the whole swap seems like a big PITA. Finding one it the easy part but what condition is it in. You really cannot be sure about it until you install it and if it is damaged goods you have mod'd your axle housing. ARB seems the only good solution to do it right and have good streetability.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
ARB seems the only good solution to do it right and have good streetability.
Well, I'll find out in like a week if that is the case, I allready bought the lockright, and if the truck still handles well with it in in New Jersey, it should just about anywhere else. If I don't like, I figure I can sell it, and shouldnt be out too much money. I was not a big fan of the ARB because of the price. I want somethign cheap, and failsafe. Howvere I want it to hold up on the road, I'm wanted to see if this was a realistic desire or just foolish. So, I'll get back to you by week's end, when I get my Lock Right in the mail.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Will be following how that goes for you. Especially because you have a 01.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:44 PM

I see Simon just put one in too, I asked him for tips and such, as I have never messed with any diff before. Everyone has said the install was super easy, he seems to have had some trouble with it though. I will also be awaiting his review befor I install the thing.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

Out of curiosity, I emailed Aussie Locker about why they don't make a 4 pin 8" locker for 2001-2002 4Runners. Here's what their Engineering department responded with:

"The 4 pinion differential requires a different design than we use in our Aussie Locker. Most locker manufacturer use the existing axle gears in the diff and then provide a cam gear (our term) that drives the standard OEM axle gears. So you get a hybrid locker in this type of design. We feel that the design approach that provides the most long term reliability is for a full locker set and that would require that the diff be disassembled and the backlash would have to be reset. This takes the installation of the locker outside of the scope of a "do it yourself" project for most people. We are looking at other design concepts but we do not have a date when engineering might have something to test. We apologize that we are unable to meet your locker requirement at this time."
Old 01-31-2006, 08:18 AM

that is BS, you have to dissasemble the whole diff with the 4cyl as well. if they are going to be like that, i wouldnt hold my breath

ive installed
1-ez locker
1-lockright
2-aussie lockers

and guess what, they are all exactly the same!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 PM

what, they are all exactly the same!!!
in a good way or bad way for a daily driver?? Ever done a V6 4runner?? How was it?? any hints would be greatly appreciated, as I have never done any differential work before. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I went out for a drive last night and tried some pretty tight turns, it went just fine, some very little jump if you give it too much gas in the turn but thats it. I haven't got to take it off road yet becuase of all the snow we have here. As far as the install, I hadn't ever taken a 3rd apart before either, but its not too bad. Drain the diff, the axel shafts are really easy to take out: There is a little pin on the back of the drum the dissconnect the e-brake cable and then unscrew the brake lines, and remove the 4 bolts on the back of the drum and pull them out a couple inches. Mine came out really easy. Mark the drive shaft when you unbolt that, I just had some white out to mark things. You might want to take the drive shaft off the front too just so you have more room to work under the truck. The 3rd member is heavyer than it looks, it helps to have 2 people there. Once you get the 3rd out make sure to mark everything you touch. It makes things a lot easier on the re-assembly. The key things to mark are the bearing adjustor rings (the ones with all the holes in them) and mark the ring gear when you unblot the 10 or so bolts on the carrier. Once you get the locker in, put everything back together just the way it was, fill the diff, bleed the brakes if you have too, I didn't have too, put the tires back on, and go for a test drive.
Thought this might be very useful info for anyone else considering a locker for a daily driver. I am more optimistic about this now, I hope I have just as much luck as SImon had. GREAT review!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:02 PM

that is BS, you have to dissasemble the whole diff with the 4cyl as well. if they are going to be like that, i wouldnt hold my breath

ive installed
1-ez locker
1-lockright
2-aussie lockers

and guess what, they are all exactly the same!!!
What Aussie is saying is that a 4 spider gear setup would require a new case, similar to a detroit or arb. Thus you would have to redo the settings on your backlash and recheck the pattern. You don't have to do that if you mearly remove the ring gear and replace it, as with the 4 cyl diff.

Quick Reply: Locker for Daily Driver