Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Less than a week old, ALREADY IN THE SHOP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 02:17 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GotTaco - look in your manuals and find the info for your regional Toyota Customer Service Office and light them up! Be angry, calm and firm. It probably won't get you a new truck, but it can't hurt - they are the ones to talk to. The local dealership can not make that call - EVER. IF they gave you a new truck they would then have your old one -used - to sell and eat the loss. They won't do that I assure you, good customer service never will extend that far, they wouldn't stay in business long if they gave up profits so easily.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:22 PM

Wow, sorry to hear what happend. I have 13,xxx miles on my 05.

Mine was manufactured at NUMMI

Last edited by Rivalred; 10-07-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious about something. Would you kindly look at the production sticker on the driver's side B-pillar near the latch striker plate and see where it says it was manufactured? Like Mexico?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
GotTaco - look in your manuals and find the info for your regional Toyota Customer Service Office and light them up! Be angry, calm and firm. It probably won't get you a new truck, but it can't hurt - they are the ones to talk to. The local dealership can not make that call - EVER. IF they gave you a new truck they would then have your old one -used - to sell and eat the loss. They won't do that I assure you, good customer service never will extend that far, they wouldn't stay in business long if they gave up profits so easily.

the dealership that i worked at has and would do that . they would take back the old and sell it again for used and still make more of a profit. ofcourse your average dealer sells about 150-200 cars and mine was around 900. so as i was stating before it could but may not happen all the time but its a possibility.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1. document everything, including phone calls
2. talk w/ the general manager
3. research the lemon laws in your state and start researching attorneys asap

i purchased my first 99 4runner from penske toyota in downey, ca. i took it back the next day because the shifter would nearly pop out of gear. they gave me such the run around. had to deal w/ their "process" to fix it, including driving around with supposed mechanics who couldnt tell the difference between a shifter that clunked and rowed 4-5 inches backwards and forwards vs. other 4runners in the lot. talking w/ the sales people again, the service managers, the regional service managers, etc who didn't see the problem buncha losers. so after weeks of me taking it up the chain, i finally got wise and talked w/ the general manager of the dealership who started the process of "unwinding" the sale of the vehicle so i could get my money back. but that wasn't the end of it: the di##head in the finance department decided to waste my time by stalling me for nearly 5 hours. haha, furry beotch, i still got my money back

yeah, im still pissed about that and i have successfully steered at least 4 people away from buying from that scum bag dealership. anyways, my rant aside, get edujumacated on the lemon laws in your state, document every little thing including phone calls, and go to the general sales manager and raise a polite stink and let him know exactly what you want.

bob
Old 10-07-2005, 07:32 PM

The 4.0 V6 is an aluminum engine. I'd be very concerned that the block/ head surfaces could have warped, due to overheating. And you'll have many more cooling system problems in the future.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he said the engine was "bullet proof" after you asked him if this might have caused any engine damage, GET THAT IN WRITING.

The damage may not have been traumatic, but it could have shortened your engines life to a point that, you get hit with engine problems conveniently somewhere after the warranty period or something like that.

What I would ask for is an extended warranty on your truck. PERIOD.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:21 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. In other words, don't be an a-hole, but I see countless mindless obliviots everytime I go up to my dealer who blindly drop off their vehicle and say "uh it is making a noise, fix it" (paraphrase), and then I know they get bent over for a big fix it bill, or I'm sure some of them do.

I'll tell you straight up, my service manager probably hates my guts, but he dang sure knows my name, cause I am a plague. If I go in for something I know what I want and I have researched it, have an idea of what the fix is, and don't succumb to all the extra crap they try to sell you (at first, now they don't bother). Every one of the sales staff knows my name, my vehicles. All the cashiers, phone people, parts department knows my name as well...they may call me a-hole...but the whole point is that I am not just a sheep w my $$$ vehicle investments when I take them into the dealership.

I had an engine sludge up in my Sienna. I researched the incident, got edjumakated on it, knew what I was talking about, and got it fixed, on Toyota's dime. Cost me nothing. My power door did the same thing and so did I. Just got it fixed last month on their dime. It took persistence, persistence, persistence...but as we used to say in my Mechanical Engineering undergrad group of friends, (we actually had a t-shirt)...

"Persistence always beats Resistance."

Old 10-08-2005, 06:42 AM

Good luck, like others have said don't be afraid to go over the dealership's head and go straight to Toyota Customer Service. You will be fortunate if you don't have any additional problems with this motor down the road...
Old 10-08-2005, 06:38 PM

Some of the replies here are just crazy.

You had an engine that overheated because of a mechanical failure of the radiator. The radiator gets replaced under warranty. That's about what'll happen. It's not a damn world crisis people, nor will any state even consider one incident a lemon law case. The warranty is still intact in case something else happens, that's the way it works. A good tech will probably replace the radiator, the t-stat, test drive it, do a quick compression test just to confirm any possible engine issues and also do a cooling system pressure check. That will all be on Toyota's dime and you have a free ride right now as well.

About some of the other comments, as far as the other stuff that the dealership recommends you do... One thing is that in certain climates it is necessary to take care of your vehicle more than in others and driving style/type can also make your daily driver a vehicle that is operated in extreme conditions. Also, a customer that spends money at the dealership taking care of his ride, will 99% of the time get favorable results when it comes to borderline warranty claims, goodwilling of parts or even splitting the costs of some jobs after the waranty is up. I'm a Mitsu tech and I see it happen every single day. Some people never do any preventative maintenance or upkeep on their ride and expect everything from the dealership later. That's just stupid. Another thing is that some people complain about the dealership being overpriced on stuff, go out and get Fletcher's to do their brakes, then bring it in and pay to have the OEM pads put in. Stupid again. Do it cheap and you'll do it twice, but I am a factory trained dealership tech and some will say that makes me biased, hehe.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:47 PM

Got a new truck yesterday ! After speaking with the general manager last Friday, the dealership offered to give me my $ back or find me another truck. It took him a couple of days to do a dealer trade to find something as close to my original truck as possible. I ended up with an almost identical replica minus the roof rack. They took off $500 for that. I couldn't be happier. This was a very large dealership and everyone I had to deal with was continuosly bringing up customer satisfaction. I didn't really have to complain too hard about getting a replacement. I just had to ask once, in a calm voice, if they would trade out my truck !

Now, does anyone know if you can buy the original Toyota roof rack. This dealership says they can't order it.

Thanks for everyones comments and input !
Old 10-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow. Impressive. Which dealer was it? Might as well give them some good advertisement. (I hope it wasn't dublin...I hate them...)
Old 10-10-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Wow. Impressive. Which dealer was it? Might as well give them some good advertisement. (I hope it wasn't dublin...I hate them...)
The dealership was Concord Toyota !
Old 10-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, good deal, keep an eye out and see if they put your original up for sale again.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Van91DSM
Some of the replies here are just crazy.

You had an engine that overheated because of a mechanical failure of the radiator. The radiator gets replaced under warranty. That's about what'll happen.
I guess you were wrong huh?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-10-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

that is impressive. I never would of thought they would do that in a million years. I know my local dealer wouldnt do that. Congratz on the good furtune though...

hmm i wonder if they did a couple test on the engine and found something more serious.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:11 PM

Good job. That is excellent. I thought you would be stock with the "old" one.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by GotTaco
Got a new truck yesterday ! After speaking with the general manager last Friday, the dealership offered to give me my $ back or find me another truck. It took him a couple of days to do a dealer trade to find something as close to my original truck as possible. I ended up with an almost identical replica minus the roof rack. They took off $500 for that. I couldn't be happier. This was a very large dealership and everyone I had to deal with was continuosly bringing up customer satisfaction. I didn't really have to complain too hard about getting a replacement. I just had to ask once, in a calm voice, if they would trade out my truck !

Now, does anyone know if you can buy the original Toyota roof rack. This dealership says they can't order it.

Thanks for everyones comments and input !
Congratulations on getting a new truck. As for the roof rack, the dealership can order you one as the dealer I purchased my truck from ordered one back in March and they installed it. I would go back to the dealer and let them know that they can order it and install it, my guess is they do not want to lose the 2 hours worth of labor of install money they would be losing.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:44 PM

Wow, that blows me away. I wonder if they found something seriously wrong with it then?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet. Congratulations on another new truck. Hope this one is flawless. 8)

Quick Reply: Less than a week old, ALREADY IN THE SHOP!