Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lack of Sleep.. = ( 4runner tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey bro i feel bad for your loss. everyone gets into an accident the most important thing is that you learn from it and move on. My Friends All Have Fast Cars and 90% Of them totaled there cars and the other 10% have massive tickets so just relax on the road and you'll be fine. They say the average person gets into a accident about once every three years. Take a Deep Breath. Everything happens for a reason this might be something good in disguise?
Old 09-11-2004, 12:36 PM

I recommend that you call the police and have them meet you at the tow yard and inform the police that the tow yard is refusing to allow you near your vehicle and you are trying to get a few personal belongings from it. I promise you they will change attitude real fast. Also DO NOT tell the Tow yard that you are going there with the Police. It will also be handy to have them near just in case something of yours is already missing from the truck.

Ive been there and done that routine.

Also make sure you take all of the parts that you want to remove with the originals spark plugs and start and plug wires. sounds like the truck wont run anyhow so it doesn't matter if you pull them or not.

Last edited by obex26; 09-11-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry about your loss. Be glad you were in a 4Runner and not something else.

Are you going to be looking for another 4Runner? used?
Old 09-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by obex26
I recommend that you call the police and have them meet you at the tow yard and inform the police that the tow yard is refusing to allow you near your vehicle and you are trying to get a few personal belongings from it. I promise you they will change attitude real fast. Also DO NOT tell the Tow yard that you are going there with the Police. It will also be handy to have them near just in case something of yours is already missing from the truck.
That is your best bet. Ive delt with quite a few towing companies and sometimes the only way to get what you need is with the police there. It seems like they operate on their own agenda regardless of what is legal.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Man, that is awful!! Glad to hear that you are ok. Like they said, the truck can be replaced, but you can't. It hits close to home with me because I usually don't get more than five hours of sleep a night because I have to get up every morning at 4:30 to be at work for 5:45. It sucks!! Three years and I'm still not used to it. There are numerous, numerous times that I have caught myself almost falling asleep on the way home in the afternoon. Some dangerously close. I guess this is a reality check for me also. Again, glad to hear that you are ok.

Matt
Old 09-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 934rnr
Sorry about your loss. Stuff happens who knows you might get into something else you might like better like a ext cab pickup or something like that.

Also take everything off your 4 runner you can. When my pathfinder was totalled at the storage yard people kind of helped themselves to the stuff I had on it like my fog lights the cargo basket wasn't found supposedly it had 4 Hellas on it also the front shakles and anything else they could see on it seemed to disapear when I went down to get my stuff out of it. Freaking thevies...
Anyways you aren't going to get anything more than bluebook on it been there done that. I had put alot of $$ in to it too so I had it totalled bought it back and parted it out came out ahead that way not alot of people can do that though.
I remember seeing your Pathy over on 4x4parts.com's board when we both posted there. We have since moved on to yotas.

Good luck with the insurance.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dbikeman
I remember seeing your Pathy over on 4x4parts.com's board when we both posted there. We have since moved on to yotas.

Good luck with the insurance.

obex26: Well right now is a sunday. Ill give my claims adjuster a talk on monday and deal with the police if necessary. Thanks for the advice.

Jason Burtman: Yes im planning to look for another 4runner. Im pretty strapped on cash but im looking for a 98-99 Limited or 00-02 SR5 Highlander Edition or Limited. This time Im looking to stepping up to the 5VZ-FE. I dont know about the 4wd it be a nice option but from a "money" standpoint im a little short. I wouldnt mind going back to a 4cyl setup but its going to be hard to find the parts to do a "limited" conversion.

LSUMATT: Yeah for your safety I would highly reccomend you Maybe to just carpool with someone to work if possible. Because than you got an extra person to look after you and slap you if needed.

Well I dont know guys I've been emotionally shocked. My parents werent able to sleep and ofcourse me. I feel obligated that I owe something to my 4runner to save my life. I probally have a "one of a kind" of a truck as it is. Its going to be hard even though I havent spend much like you guys did but for me its ALOT! Today my limited badges arrived, thanks ramna12 there just sitting on top of my monitor as a remembarance and a tribute to my runner. So for now im waiting and looking at autptrader and cars.com looking for another runner.

- kevin

Last edited by kevin444; 09-11-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

It may vary state to state but

First off, I highly recommend sleeping in the car . When it is STOPPED. I've not crashed due to exhaustion, but I've come VERY close; passenger side past the rumble strip and into the grass when I woke up (luckily I was driving my old saab, which handled great and I got back on the road handily).

But, I think (I'm not 100%) it may be illegal to sleep in the drivers seat, also bad to have the keys in the ignition-it may somehow lead to a DWI charge. So pull out the keys and get in the passenger seat (more comfortable not having to contend with the steering wheel anyway) non-issue if you have a runner, just climb in back.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Well guys. The claims rep doesnt seem to care. There giving me the impression that i cant get anything out of the car. They say its only 220 its not worth bothering unless it was worth a couple of thousand. They also said u didnt buy insurance for your aftermarket stuff.

Well i got pics. Pretty graphical soo yeah = * (

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...7768&members=1
Old 09-13-2004, 03:13 PM

I totalled my 4runner into a car dealership
Has the insurance company actually "totaled" the truck yet?
Old 09-13-2004, 03:22 PM

wow, I along with everyone else am glad to read that you are ok. That really sucks about the 4 runner. That is the only worries I've ever had with either Crash or I adding different mods to the trucks we've had. We knew we'd never get back what we put into them but to have a yard tell you that you can't take anything sucks. I'm not sure why but I think I've heard more then one person tell me the same thing though so that may be some weird ˟˟˟˟ up rule. If it's totalled I think they offer you a chance to "buy it back" but I'm not sure how much that costs.
I'd do what others suggested, go there take lots of pics and then see if that buy back option is available so you can get your parts. I knew someone who's buy back price was $100.00. That would be worth the price of goodies you've put into it. Or try and fight it somehow. Sounds awfully weird.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mrs. Crash
wow, I along with everyone else am glad to read that you are ok. That really sucks about the 4 runner. That is the only worries I've ever had with either Crash or I adding different mods to the trucks we've had. We knew we'd never get back what we put into them but to have a yard tell you that you can't take anything sucks. I'm not sure why but I think I've heard more then one person tell me the same thing though so that may be some weird ˟˟˟˟ up rule. If it's totalled I think they offer you a chance to "buy it back" but I'm not sure how much that costs.
I'd do what others suggested, go there take lots of pics and then see if that buy back option is available so you can get your parts. I knew someone who's buy back price was $100.00. That would be worth the price of goodies you've put into it. Or try and fight it somehow. Sounds awfully weird.

Well ive had a talk with the appraiser he's offering $10,000. As far as everything goes that is sufficient but im going to have try to talk him into giving me more money for the stereo. It would also be nice to know where the 4runner is going (as in the salvage yard) so i can pray to it and possibly get the stereo and maybe try to get my goodies out of there if its still possible.

- kevin
Old 09-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Since the appraiser said my the 4runne is indeed a total-loss. Ive have my eyes set on this 4runner. What do you guys think as far as price.

http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vd...or=&cardist=26
Old 09-13-2004, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by kevin444
Since the appraiser said my the 4runne is indeed a total-loss. Ive have my eyes set on this 4runner. What do you guys think as far as price.

http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vd...or=&cardist=26
Heck, as long as you have $13k in mind, why not go this way:
http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vd...=&cardist=1280
Old 09-13-2004, 06:32 PM

The slogan is....
"Let the off-road adventure begin" So, let yours begin by getting a 4WD this time. Yeah the black one is so pretty but dude get a 4x4 now that you have a chance and, let the off-road adventure begin
Old 09-13-2004, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fishenman
The slogan is....
"Let the off-road adventure begin" So, let yours begin by getting a 4WD this time. Yeah the black one is so pretty but dude get a 4x4 now that you have a chance and, let the off-road adventure begin

uhh I dont know man.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Bud

get a used 4x4 and you'll forget about your late 1998.
Sorta' like how the saying goes "the best way to get over a girl is to get under another"...

Next so-cal run, you can ride with me... and if i'm in a good mood, i'll even let ya drive.. just promise me you wont fall asleep

Last edited by Bud; 09-13-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

I agree. Its your chance to get a V6 4x4, if you get the 2wd and decide that you want to go off-road, you will regret it..
Old 09-14-2004, 07:45 AM

$10,000.00 seems low for that new of a vehichle. I'd deffinatly be wanting my goodies out of my rig if that's all they are offering.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mrs. Crash
$10,000.00 seems low for that new of a vehichle. I'd deffinatly be wanting my goodies out of my rig if that's all they are offering.

Will see about 4x4 but I have a strange feeling it wont work out.

KBB value calculator has my old runner at about 9,500. I will try to get at least 10,500 if its possible.

Quick Reply: Lack of Sleep.. = ( 4runner tragedy