Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lack of Sleep.. = ( 4runner tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with everything and glad you did not get hurt or hurt anyone else, can't believe you got behind the wheel after being awake for 28 hours, I've stayed awake all night and went out but usually came home and went to sleep but I try never to do that.

You should check with your Insurance, the dealership you crashed into and the pole you damaged, my friend hit a light pole and was sured for 20k by the town to have it replaced so keep that in mind property damage
Old 09-10-2004, 09:04 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good to see you're ok.

that could've been so much worse. you should count your stars that you were in a 4runner. i have to say, you not having a scratch is pretty amazing.

i think its time to sit back and relax and think of this as an opportunity to get a new love machine.

i actually saw a report on the news a while back that stuck with me: some woman in i think it as texas worked for 15 hrs and then took her kids to various places meaning she hadnt slept in about 24 hrs. after dropping off her kid at soccer practice, she fell asleep behind the wheel and crashed into a semi going about 45 mph. everyone survived, thank god.

but the images of that sedan all smashed up with the semi sitting on the hood freaked me out.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:34 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Dude, be thankful that you walked away!!!! I hit a freeway center divider(sp?) after sixteen hours of straight driving in my '84 Toy 4x4 (my 1st truck) and flipped it twice. I limped/dragged myself away from the truck w/ only a shattered kneecap. Luckily there wasn't hardly anybody on the 210 at 3 in the morning. All do to lack of sleep,and anticiapating getting home to be the best man at my friends wedding.

My advise to every1, even If you THINK you feel tired, pull over and REST!!!!! Even the Ca highway patrol will understand your situation If they pull in behind you,wake you up and ask what is going on.

Glad to hear/read you are ok, and in 1 piece!!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:40 AM

um, woah... is English your first language? I had to read that post a few times to understand, but I think I got it...

first you procrastinated
then you stayed up (28hours?) doing homework
then you dropped of your work
on the way home you fell asleep and hit a pole
totaled the runner
you're ok
you get home and UPS delivers your gear

Is that right?

OK, first off I gotta say that is some miserable irony - getting 4runner gear hours after totally your rig. I'd say the gods hate you. But you did make it though unharmed, so...
Old 09-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry for the grammar. I was shocked and really sad and didnt care if there were errors. I gotta question. I have a $290 starter replaced in there that my mom payed should i take that too?

Well what you said is true. What is more important is that if you feel sleepy I really suggest you not to continue driving.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:20 AM

Glad you're ok...

Glad no one else got hurt...

I want to smack you upside the head for risking your life and other's lives by doing that...

It didn't kill you, so let it make you stronger.

And I doubt the junkyard will let you take the starter...
Old 09-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Should i pull out the remainder of my headunit?
Old 09-10-2004, 10:24 AM

Glad your ok man, cars can be replaced..poeple cant.

I hope you did well on your final
Old 09-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

They shouldnt have a problem with aftermarket things like head units, etc. Probably wont get anything mechanical though. Shame about the truck. Everyone has driven when they shouldnt have at some point in their lives. I know I have. Some people just get lucky. Most important thing.... Your ok and nobody else was hurt. Dont walk away empty handed. Make sure you learned from this. Its obvious now but in a few years. Memories fade especially the bad ones.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Or killed someone else, which would be a bigger loss to the society than someone who drives intoxicated or exhausted, both of which are already illegal in NJ.
Really? Illegal? That's a good idea. I work 12hr night shifts and frequently have to pull over on the drive home. I had never really thought about it, until a co worker and I got to talking about it. We're in the health field and see the results of this kind of thing regularly. It sounds like Kevin444 got the message and I applaud his effort to bring it to everyones attention.

You are likely just as impaired when sleepy/tired as when intoxicated. The differences are that 1) we think it's OK because usually we were doing something responsible to get tired such as work/school/childcare 2) We're not impaired when we make that decision to get in the car tired like someone that is drunk/high, so we really make an even poorer decision by doing so. It is really just impatience. Frequently a 15 min nap will do it for you.

So please, listen to Kevin444 and DON'T DRIVE TIRED.
Sorry for the shouting but it really is important.
Mike
Old 09-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Glad to hear that you're okay Kevin!
That's the big thing don't sweat the small details.

What are you planning on doing with the LC parts? You might as well return them, it didn't sound like you were too happy with the engine anyway so unless you plan on getting the same thing again I'd suggest returning the parts to LC (I'm sure customer service will understand) and maybe get around to buying new parts when you've financially recovered from this.

Good luck with the rest of what you got ahead of you. Remember you can get a good 1st gen for a pretty decent price if you look around
Old 09-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Kevin,

Thanks for the admonishment. It's very important.

I totaled my T100 a year and a half ago. I was devestated! I loved my truck so much. I know it sounds silly, but since I survived unscathed I worried about the truck (although my chief concern was my wife, then girlfriend, who was mildly injured) It all had a happy ending though. The insurance took care of things, I found a new T100, and my wife recovered with no problems. Heck, my current T is a much better find than my previous!

Grab everying non-mechanical that you've added. You won't get it back in insurance money.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

I talked to guys at the tow yard. They said i cant take anything out that is attached, so im screwed on the headunit. They told me if im going to do the "insurance payoff" i cant touch it period. They told me if i want to get my headunit and speakers thats going to cost me $55.

Currently I havent called the insurance company if they will reimburse me for my headunit. My amsoil filter and NGK wires are still in there, I was planning to swap them out and put the stock stuff back in. Soo yeah im screwed I guess I will give the insurance company a call to see what I can do now.

For the time being i have took all the toyota 4runner genuine mats and liners. Plus i took the dash cover.

- kevin
Old 09-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
I talked to guys at the tow yard. They said i cant take anything out that is attached, so im screwed on the headunit. They told me if im going to do the "insurance payoff" i cant touch it period. They told me if i want to get my headunit and speakers thats going to cost me $55.

I dunno... that sounds like a scam.
You can't take anything UNLESS you give them $55? Something screwy is going on there. If they really can't let you in because of the insurance payoff, how does $55 suddenly make it okay?
Old 09-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Greetings,
I was wondering if you were wearing your safety belt and if you runner was so equipped, did the airbags deploy?

Glad your ok, the Runner is replaceable, you are not. Even with your Grammar.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

I finally woked up to impact. As the airbags deployed the smoke and burning deploying gas inflated the airbags. Immediately wokeed up.
There's an answer to one of those questions.
... and no fair picking on the poor guy for his grammar when your reading comprehension needs work
Old 09-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Currently I havent called the insurance company if they will reimburse me for my headunit. My amsoil filter and NGK wires are still in there, I was planning to swap them out and put the stock stuff back in. Soo yeah im screwed I guess I will give the insurance company a call to see what I can do now.

For the time being i have took all the toyota 4runner genuine mats and liners. Plus i took the dash cover.

- kevin
Most insurance companies will cover up to $1000 over the value of the vehicle. Not sure how that would work in a total situation, but with valid proof you may be able to squeeze the value of your accessories from the insurance company. Something to check on anyway.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
kevin,

i think those tow truck yard people are full of crap. you know, its STILL your vehicle. those aftermarket parts were purchased by YOU and NOT financed by your lender. so yes legally, they are YOURS. however if you take them out, you better not claim it. insurance fraud is not good.

in my opinion, i would take your vid camera, document everything in your truck and file an insurance claim. get all brand new, replacement stuff (if its covered). if not, pull it out.

and if anything is "missing" (read = scumbag yard people), you'll be in good shape to file a lawsuit.

bob
Old 09-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

- kevin
I smell BS!
Old 09-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
There's an answer to one of those questions.
... and no fair picking on the poor guy for his grammar when your reading comprehension needs work
Greetings, I don't think my reading comprehension needs work. I'm just a little tired, and I did'nt pick on him. Alot of other folks did, I just said I was happy he was ok, even if his grammar be bad.

The gas that is deployed from an airbag is sodium azide, which is actually an explosive but thats not what the "Smoke" is from. The smoke is caused by the talcum powder they use in the bag as a lubricant so the "bag" does not stick to itself and it can deploy properly.

Just a FYI

Quick Reply: Lack of Sleep.. = ( 4runner tragedy