Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ISR mod is awesome!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 04:31 PM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just realized those links don't work. Ryan? Why are they broken? Did you take the vids down for some reason?

Oh well, maybe he'll fix them. I'll shoot him an email.

And Matt, I was just messin' with you.

Dr. Z
Old 06-04-2003, 03:47 PM

I just had to reread that post that said premium was kinda pricey at $1.71 a gallon. I just came from the gas station in which my wonderful 93 runner averaged just shy of 15mpg. I filled up with 87 octane at 1.87 a gallon. I think premium 91 octane was going for 2.15 or something like that. Gotta love the bay area!
Old 06-04-2003, 04:01 PM

Mid grade here in Phx is around the 1.71 mark. 91 octane premium is around 1.81
Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bumped this because it's worth looking at how easy it seemed to complain about having to pay under $1.71 for premium. My how times have changed.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

what a blast from the past....its amazing how times are changing. mainly because:

a - the aforementioned price of premium
b - i actually recognize the names in this thread
c - i no longer have a toyota.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:43 PM

The only draw-back is running premium, it's sorta pricey out here at $1.71 / gallon, but I feel it's worth it.

whoa that is pricey lol
Old 07-15-2011, 04:10 PM

I'm going to buy midgrade gas tomorrow, for the first time, as I have the ISR mod, we'll see, looking for improved performace....Cost of a gal. today is $3.68

Last edited by badattitude; 07-15-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you guys are smoking some funny stuff.

I did this on my 97 Runner motor swapped into my 92 and didnt notice anything different other than it was a tad louder. I ended up putting the stock resonators back in.

Good experiment but in the end it was a waste of $8
Old 07-16-2011, 10:30 AM
jrm

Helps to reset the EGR

fuse afterwards. Best benefit from this mod is improved throttle response.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
screw the mod.. did you see how much fuel was back in 03??

thanks corp america!!

rant off
Old 07-16-2011, 12:47 PM

This whole thread is funny .
Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by AznSky
Well I got the isr mod done yesterday, big thanks to Christian <96 Runner> who helped me with it at our little az meet. Took him only 5 minutes with all the parts already. First drive out, punched it, WHOA!!!!! Now that is loud!!! But it isn't annoying loud, it's more of a beefy loud. I don't really see how people can get annoyed by the sound, I think it sounds great, with an aftermarket exhaust it'll probably sound even better too.

The only draw-back is running premium, it's sorta pricey out here at $1.71 / gallon, but I feel it's worth it. However I am gonna put the intake silencer back on in a week and run regular again because I have a huge road trip I have to make. But once I reach my destination, it's coming right off again.

Big props to both Christian, for knowing about this mod a looooong time ago, and Dr. Z for making it known and also creating it.

A definite must to at least try it out.
wow, you know this post is old. $1.71 is pricey?? welcome to 2011..... haha
Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM

since the thread is back...

I was talking to a mechanic today, he said the ISR box also served as a place to hold vacuum back-pressure, and is used during deceleration to prevent stalling.

Can anybody comment on this?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang... $1.71 just back in 2003....

Still can't believe how long ago 2003 was now... Man life just goes by way too fast...
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 PM

I have done both the ISR and the deck plate and have been running 87 in MN/WA down to 85.5 in MT and WY and have never noticed anything that sounded like a ping or a knock. It has been about 2 years since I have done the modifications. Maybe I am just lucky but I haven't had any issues. Even at altitude driving across CO and WY and the passes in WY and BC, my mileage has been around 16-20 @ 60-65 mph depending upon incline and weight in the truck.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Intake modifications?

really curious about all the intake mods. I know its been talked about way to much. And I personally have some of the mods and are happy with them. But was just wondering if anybody really know why toyota didn't do this themselves. Mods that improve on MPG's and power\ or just throttle response. But any improvment is good, not bashing here. Why wouldn't toyota want to add horsepower and MPG's with something as simple as throttle body spacers, or more air flow to the air box (deck plate), or intake silencer (known as torque destroyer? Could it be just as simple as a small sacrifice in those areas for massive noise reduction, and or less mantanience of an air filter. Not to mention that we all know throttle body spacers must be a scam, because know one can actually tell you they work. All speculation. (show me results, oh u can't) ok . If i cut a giant hole in my air box and got better MPG's and more power, which i truly feel that i did, and the only downfall is extra noise. Then I'm happy with that. Long story short, why is this the way it is? As an auto manufacturer the last thing i would do is drop any power or MPG's. Unless a tiny improvement meant a big drawback somewhere else.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Here's the skinny... Th intake restrictions are for smog and emissions. The above mentioned mechanic was trying to sound smart or may have know of a vehicle in the past that the intake held vacuum for... but that sounds like hooey to me... Not sure I spelled that right.... But yes it will help with throttle response and with wide open throttle. It's not much louder and it's basically the equivalent to cutting off the cat for the intake... If you haven't done it... You should. And you shouldn't have to run Premium... That may depend on what altitude your at as well... Also it should help with MPG's if you can kep your foot out of it... It will hurt if you have a heavy foot. I'm in the South and have but thousands of miles on this mod without fault. I do not have the deck plate mod though...

Last edited by TheDoodie2; 10-03-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I could see that being a major reason for all that crap under the hood. Makes ya wonder what else be simply removed to gain something. But research in one hand and wonder in the other and see which on fills up first uh. thanx for your imput.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Having worked as a dealership tech for many years now, it is amazing to see what lengths the OEM's go to, to make a vehicle quiet, smooth and non-responsive (in a good way) for the majority of the American public.

That funny box on the intake just gives the air in the intake pathway a place to go and be absorbed when Bobby Sue lets off the throttle suddenly during a full throttle on-ramp run. Think shock absorber... that way the intake air sensor doesn't get all funny, the car doesn't buck, etc.

Now those of us interested in a vehicle with a little growl and a little more bite to it don't need that or even care about that. But not everyone's idea of "drivability" or "tolerable" is the same. I run a highly modified 91 Talon AWD that would drive some people insane.

On my 4runner, I've done the air box mod, I ported the metal throttle body gasket to match, I run the Airaid Jr intake, I fabricated a 2.5" stainless exhaust with an 18" Magnaflow and I love all of it. Every bit of it. It's only loud when you're full throttle, the throttle response is much, much better than stock. I would never go back to stock or tell someone not to do any of it, but some people won't like the 18" Magnaflow, or the growl from the air box mod, or the slight intake hiccup that happens just ever so slightly once in awhile when traffic doesn't cooperate with my previous gas pedal input. And some people just like to complain, whereas I want my truck to move. Heh.

Last edited by Van91DSM; 10-03-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by van91dsm
having worked as a dealership tech for many years now, it is amazing to see what lengths the oem's go to, to make a vehicle quiet, smooth and non-responsive (in a good way) for the majority of the american public.

That funny box on the intake just gives the air in the intake pathway a place to go and be absorbed when bobby sue lets off the throttle suddenly during a full throttle on-ramp run. Think shock absorber... That way the intake air sensor doesn't get all funny, the car doesn't buck, etc.

Now those of us interested in a vehicle with a little growl and a little more bite to it don't need that or even care about that. But not everyone's idea of "drivability" or "tolerable" is the same. I run a highly modified 91 talon awd that would drive some people insane.

On my 4runner, i've done the air box mod, i ported the metal throttle body gasket to match, i run the airaid jr intake, i fabricated a 2.5" stainless exhaust with an 18" magnaflow and i love all of it. Every bit of it. It's only loud when you're full throttle, the throttle response is much, much better than stock. I would never go back to stock or tell someone not to do any of it, but some people won't like the 18" magnaflow, or the growl from the air box mod, or the slight intake hiccup that happens just ever so slightly once in awhile when traffic doesn't cooperate with my previous gas pedal input. And some people just like to complain, whereas i want my truck to move. Heh.
amen!

Quick Reply: ISR mod is awesome!!!