Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interior Lights 3rd Gen. (2001)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol I want a bumper too... But im poor.

Now to the bulb subject. The two that are behind the controls below the clock arevery extremely small bulbs. The one in the ash tray is a 99 cent incadescent. There is a green plastic sheet in front of the bulb to give it the green tent so any color will work... Err.. almost. But back to the subject. the lighter is bulb the same size as the ashtray but on mine it was in a weird holder that I couldnt free it from. I ended up popping the bulb and ruining the whole thing. For the dimmer control im not sure on along with the switch for the diff...Sorry i couldnt be much more of a help.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 PM

If I was on my computer I could tell you what each kind of bulb was but needless to say, they are all just plug and play. There is a thread somewhere in this forum that discusses all the different bulb types on the dash and gauges.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
I'd have to check if the mounts can be moded so the bumper fits my body line but that sounds good alex... yours has those funky little fog lights in it right?
Yes it does.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnerteen
Lol I want a bumper too... But im poor.

Now to the bulb subject. The two that are behind the controls below the clock arevery extremely small bulbs. The one in the ash tray is a 99 cent incadescent. There is a green plastic sheet in front of the bulb to give it the green tent so any color will work... Err.. almost. But back to the subject. the lighter is bulb the same size as the ashtray but on mine it was in a weird holder that I couldnt free it from. I ended up popping the bulb and ruining the whole thing. For the dimmer control im not sure on along with the switch for the diff...Sorry i couldnt be much more of a help.
I understand that left of the column switches doesn't have bulbs. Ok. I have seat warmers beside the dimmer switch (where 2 blanks are in most 4Runners under the left vent), they do not light up as well, but it may be the same story as dimmer. Am I right.
As of the rear defroster, back window and power transmission, how do I get access to them? Do I need to pull the dash out?
For lighter and ashtray, regular bulb is good. Do I need to pull the dash out as well to get access to them or there is a simpler way?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:25 AM

hei alex, do you think 1993 Grand Cherokee front ARB winch bumper can fit on to my car with small mod?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by DB8TYPER
hei alex, do you think 1993 Grand Cherokee front ARB winch bumper can fit on to my car with small mod?
No. Along with modifying the bumper shape you'd need to build completely custom subframe to hold it on your truck. Not worth it.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 PM

,i found a used one for that,and it's good deal...
Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 PM

Everything is possible if you know how to weld and cut, plus have good experience in either body fabrication body shop. In my opinion unless its free, I'd just go for Taco one, will be cheaper at the end of the day.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:38 PM

got it
Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Bad news alex the only way to get at those bulbs is to pull the dash apart witht he exception of the ashtray... you may be able to undo the screws hold ing the metal top plate to the centre stack and get to the bulb on top that way but it won't be easy... you'll need some thing like a 1/4" wrench with a philips head driver bit with a shallow set up to get in there... if you can get the ashtray out you may be able to get at the lighter socket from behind. both bulbs are the small #97s I think... you might ass well switch to LEDs while you're at it. most of the switches you mentioned are'nt illuminated anyway and I don't think there is any provision to retrofit a light kit if you wanted to.

Last edited by aviator; 12-30-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
Bad news alex the only way to get at those bulbs is to pull the dash apart witht he exception of the ashtray... you may be able to undo the screws hold ing the metal top plate to the centre stack and get to the bulb on top that way but it won't be easy... you'll need some thing like a 1/4" wrench with a philips head driver bit with a shallow set up to get in there... if you can get the ashtray out you may be able to get at the lighter socket from behind. both bulbs are the small #97s I think... you might ass well switch to LEDs while you're at it. most of the switches you mentioned are'nt illuminated anyway and I don't think there is any provision to retrofit a light kit if you wanted to.
Pretty much what I was going to say.

And your right the switches left of the wheel do not have lights but the ash tray and cig lighter do they must just be burned out. Also believe my 2000 defrost and ECT light up as well.

I have one bulb out, I'm waiting for another one to go out before I can justify tearing in to the dash to replace them

Also on a side note lets keep this on topic!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:48 AM

It's not that hard guys and just to prove it I took my dash off to take you lazy butts some pics....
One of the little Neo-Wedge lights are located next to the "G' and the other one is the tan colored one to it's right next to the white plug insert. Both are twist and pull out.

Ashtray

CigLigter

sorry bout the big pics, im on a mac and have no clue on how to edit pictures. Wish I had my computer here.

Last edited by JWaldz; 12-31-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 PM

Nice pictures and THANK YOU very much.
Now just to find how to pull the console out. Never did it on the 3rd Gen, so don't know the locations of pins, clips, bolts, etc. If you can help with that, it will be awesome.
I did pull my 4th Gen numerous times, but looking from outside, 3rd Gen is a bit more complicated...
Old 12-31-2009, 02:09 PM

just get your fingers under the upper left corner and give a good little tug. After it pops out take your fingers and pop out the upper right side. From there it should be easy. Go ahead and put your e-brake on and use your little button by the shifter to put your shift nob to L (1st gear, whatever you wanna call it) This makes the dash easier to get out around the shifter. Unplug all the connectors on the top and it should be easy like sunday mornin.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:20 PM

Are you saying that there is no bolts or screws holding it, just clips?

I coincidently pulled right side panel of from central console (bellow the glove box on the center console and trying to put it back had to pull nearly hole central console from the shifter to armrest off from passenger side to put that small piece back. It looked to me that there is something somewhere holding it and I didn't want to break it, so only pulled far enough to slide back the small front piece. It took me 15 minutes, so I thought that there are some hidden screws or clips somewhere under the dash as I can't see prying points.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:27 PM

LED dash bulbs

If I'll put a new lights, I was thinking of LED as they last longer and consume very little power.

??? Does anyone knows good place to buy them on-line?

My 4Runner has "green" dash lights. Would this means I need "green" LED or just plain "white" and the symbols them self will make it "green"?
Are the switches suppose to be green or white?
Old 01-01-2010, 01:28 AM

No there are now screws holding ur dash cover in place. You shouldn't even be close to your glove compartment when pulling this off, Just up by the center air vents. Autolumination.com has good stuff. Which dash light are we talkin bout here
Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 AM

Are those lights Type 74? They have T3, T4 and T5 types. Do you by the chance know which one do I need for dash lights? Or just go with 74 bulb and reuse (if possible) OEM twist base? I never replaced such lights, so not familiar with them...

$2.50

$3.49
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM

everything you need to know plus some >>>
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...ghting-117226/
Old 01-01-2010, 01:22 PM

This afternoon left side of my Climate Control gone dark (just 15min ago), so I'd have to deal with this too. Any ideas of replacing lights in that unit? Can I get access to them without removing all out from the dash? I hope it can be done, as replacing a unit because of the light is way too expensive (unit is over $2'500).

Quick Reply: Interior Lights 3rd Gen. (2001)