Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interest in a GROUP BUY for synthetic winch rope

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris J.
Give me a call or check out our site for synthetic winch ropes.
Hi Chris... Thanks for finding the thread...

So... From your page here:

http://www.bluemoonmotorsports.net/N...winchline.html

I just wanted to confirm that for $80, you're selling 100' of 7/16" synthetic line with the equivilent of the MasterPull warranty.

Just for comparison, the previous best deal that this thread talked about was the UpNOver folks are selling 100' of 5/16" line for $120.

A couple of questions...
  • Are your line ends dressed? i.e., one end with a terminal point and the other with a formed loop?
  • Can you outfit your line with a safety hook? What would that additoonal cost be?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 03-03-2004, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mark,

Our standard hooks are a latched hook. I can outfit them custom with the safety hooks, but I'd need to call and see what additional costs that would incur for the upgrade.

The hook end of the rope is double-locked and tucked, and the loose end is heat-treated solid.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chris J.
Our standard hooks are a latched hook. I can outfit them custom with the safety hooks, but I'd need to call and see what additional costs that would incur for the upgrade.
Nah, that's okay. As long as the business end is ready to receive a hook, I can get a safety hook locally.

The hook end of the rope is double-locked and tucked, and the loose end is heat-treated solid.
Hmmm... So I'd need to get a terminal end attached to the loose end. Is this something that's usually epoxied on?

For the price that you're selling at, I shouldn't be worried but I want to be sure that I knew what I had to do to make the rope usable.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2004, 03:27 PM

You can use the existing screw from Warn and attach the rope to the drum. The hook ends are not loose, I'd have to build you one with a safety hook, or you could use the one that comes on it.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:03 PM

Obviously I'm confused... but I think I'm getting better.

When you said that the loose end was heat-treated solid, I took that to mean that it was just the end of the rope, with nothing on it at all.

Then hook wise... I understand now.

I just just place an order and stop asking questions.

Thanks Chris.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics for those of us who don't understand would certainly help us.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:33 PM

It's easy....I promise. The rope is a woven rope, and the end is heated solid and flattened. You can just push the existing screw (that hold the stock cable on the winch drum) right thru the strands on the end of the rope and screw it to the drum.

I can take a pic whenever I find the camera!

Or you can stop by the shop and check them out...we have them mounted on our rigs here.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:41 PM

Hi everyone, let me introduce myself.
My name is Wayne Kidder and I own UP AND OVER INNOVATIONS INC.
I am a small company that caters to the 4wd crowd. We do everything from custom fabrication/R&D to sales and service.
I was approached by one of your members about a group buy on Amsteel Blue winch line and I told him that I would be willing to work with the group on an order of five or more lines. I told him that I would give the group buy a 10% discount off of our posted price. If you are interested in this give me a call at (610)358-3179 or e-mail me at info@upnover.com. I will take down the info and when a minimum of five orders have been placed, then I will post on the board that the minimum has been met and start to fill the orders.

Thanks

Wayne
Old 03-03-2004, 04:50 PM

Wayne,

If you are interested, I have great dealer prices on our ropes. Ours are High-Tenacity poly-fiber, not dyneema, and have much better heat resistance and wear resistance than dyneema ropes. Drop me a line if you want to try one out.

www.bluemoonmotorsports.net
360-863-8697
Old 03-03-2004, 05:18 PM

Chris

Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick with the thinner but stronger Amsteel Blue the concerns that people have are easily taken care of. I run Amsteel on my personal rig and our new comp rig.

Thanks

Wayne
Old 03-04-2004, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Just wanted to thank both you guys for coming in here- I don't think the intent was to start a dealer war to drive the price down. Yotatech is a big community, and we're pretty loyal to dealers/suppliers that get good feedback from other members.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:45 AM

No wars here! People prefer different ropes for different tastes and applications. The amteel and our rope is about the same strength. One common misconception is that 99% of synthetic rope salespeople and maufacturers list the maximum strength as the strength of the rope. I prefer to let people know the average work load, so they aren't overconfident in their rope's abilities. Our 7/16 has been tested at over 26000 lbs, but we don't recommend it

Our intention was to bring to the market an afordable rope. The Amsteel blue 7/16 runs over $200 for 100'.....ours is $80...with the same warranty and strength.

I also install thimbles on the end at the buyers request.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:46 AM

No problems here.
Thats why we live in this great country so we can make our own decisions.

Thanks

Wayne
Old 03-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Cool. Thanks guys!
Old 03-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

So everyone still up on this group buy? I'm inclined to go w/ Wayne's Amsteel Blue Synthetic Rope.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Well this is a unique situation. uummmm I guess the easiest way to do this is for everyone still interested in the Amsteel rope to post up here and see if we have 5 orders to get the 10% discount. Those that want to go with Chris J's rope, thats fine too. Like Wayne said your free to make your own decisions. I can go either way right now .. so let me know

Edit: lets just do this soon, I would like to have a rope by the end of next week or sometime around then

Last edited by sdastg1; 03-04-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better late than never... 5/16 x 100' Amsteel for me. Think Upnover will do a buy on winches, too?
Old 03-05-2004, 04:26 AM

sure

let me know what brand and sizes your all looking for and hopefully we could work something out.

thanks

wayne
Old 03-05-2004, 04:08 PM

Oh man... you guys are driving me nuts. I don't like making decisions like this - 'specially in public!

I like the idea of the Amsteel line being thinner for the same strength. That leads me to believe that I could get more on a spool, though going back to the charts on a previous page, I shouldn't be trying to get more than 100' on an M8000 anyway!

I'd love to see pics of exactly what Chris is delivering, 'specifically how the ends are fitted in terms of a hook and the terminal end. Seeing the Amsteel pic makes it clear for me to how the rope is dressed and I'll admit I like the finished terminal end... I know that the pulling strength of a winch comes from the rope wrapped around the drum, but I don't like having to splay the rope open to fit the holding screw.

If I had to chose today, I'd go with Wayne... I have a clearer picture as to what he's delivering.

Winch wise, Mr. Chemist and I have an eventual side deal going for his, so I'll have to pass.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

that puts us at four

Quick Reply: Interest in a GROUP BUY for synthetic winch rope