Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Interest in a GROUP BUY for synthetic winch rope

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Good Times
M8000 here so I"ll need the 5/16 x 100 right? I think...

Does this rope come standard with a heat protector and a sling hook w/ the safety latch?

Thanks!
I updated the list in my previous post and

From the UpnOver website:
"Our Winch Line comes in various lengths and includes a terminal end, a loop on one end for a hook, and 10 feet of our rock guard which can be cut and positioned wherever you like"
Old 02-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdastg1
ok so this is what everyone wants:

Sdastg1: 5/16 X 100
Doink: 5/16 x 125
Roadrunner: 5/16 x 125
Midiwall: 5/16 x 100
Serith: 3/8 x 100
Good Times: 5/16 x 100
Mad Chemist: 5/16 x 100

and I'm still waiting for a confirmation on the following:

Cebby: ?
Gadget: ?

I just caught this thread, I'd be in for 5/16 x100'. I have heard that the synthetic rope is actually thinner than the metal cable that comes on Warn's winches so that you might be able to run a longer synthetic cable? If so, I would want the longest possible to fit on an M8000.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Ok I just got off the phone with Wayne at UpNover. He said he would be able to give us the same 10% off the price of the rope discount. He said he couldn't do anymore b/c there isn't that much more profit built into this. I'll e-mail him the links to here, and he said he would register with yotatech, and give you further details. Then you guys just pay him directly and have it shipped out to you.

oh I did ask him about what kind of rope this is. He said it was the same rope that rockstomper uses. So I guess thats it guys!!
Old 02-25-2004, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dragr1
I have heard that the synthetic rope is actually thinner than the metal cable that comes on Warn's winches so that you might be able to run a longer synthetic cable? If so, I would want the longest possible to fit on an M8000.
Yeup, my thought as well.

Ok I just got off the phone with Wayne at UpNover. He said he would be able to give us the same 10% off the price of the rope discount. He said he couldn't do anymore b/c there isn't that much more profit built into this. I'll e-mail him the links to here, and he said he would register with yotatech, and give you further details. Then you guys just pay him directly and have it shipped out to you.
Which "same 10%"? Is he offering an additional 10% off of their prices? So, 5/16x100 would be $120.88? ($134.31 - 10%)

Thank you for doing the leg work!

Mark
Old 02-25-2004, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

oh I did ask him about what kind of rope this is. He said it was the same rope that rockstomper uses. So I guess thats it guys!!
Assuming he will be posting here? or in the vendor stuff?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:05 AM

What's the diff between this and masterpull? I had planned on going with masterpull since they are local...

The only thing is my winch is the WARN 9.5XP and I dunna see that on the sizing chart... which is part of the reason why I might goto masterpull so we can find the right one, aiming at 3/8x100'
Old 02-25-2004, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Just to make sure, this can be used with a roller fairlead, correct? I don't want to have to buy a new fairlead-the roller works best on my ARB Prado bar.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by dragr1
Just to make sure, this can be used with a roller fairlead, correct? I don't want to have to buy a new fairlead-the roller works best on my ARB Prado bar.
No, a roller fairlead can damage the rope.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:34 AM

Depends on who you talk to...

Go with whatever the company that provided you the rope says...

Ive heard the opposite (im no expert though) where the synth rope actually damaged the roller...

from what I hear the roller fairlead "can be damaged" then the damaged fairlead will damage the rope, but I hear of ppl using the roller fairlead and even snatch blocks AS LONG as its not already burred by using cable previously.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

im with ducky...as long as the fairlead and such isnt already messed up from the steel cable..you are good to go.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Depends on who you talk to...

Go with whatever the company that provided you the rope says...

Ive heard the opposite (im no expert though) where the synth rope actually damaged the roller...

from what I hear the roller fairlead "can be damaged" then the damaged fairlead will damage the rope, but I hear of ppl using the roller fairlead and even snatch blocks AS LONG as its not already burred by using cable previously.
On side pulls the rope will get pulled between the rollers and the bracket and will get cut up. The rope is not capable of harming the rollers themselves.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Which "same 10%"? Is he offering an additional 10% off of their prices? So, 5/16x100 would be $120.88? ($134.31 - 10%)
I found about this company through another forum, and he gave them the same offer, and yes $120 for the 5/16th x 100. I also did send him the link for this website, so hopefully he will post here and answer all your questions directly.

As far as the roller fairlead vs hawse fairlead. I'm no expert but from what I understood you had to go with the hawse to prevent damaging the rope. and while you do have a lifetime warranty on the rope, I would rather not have it break while I am using it. But don't worry I'm trying to hook you guys up too for the aluminum hawse fair lead. It should be about $25 or so.

As far as length size for ropes and what will fit what? When he post here, hopefully he will answer all those questions for you.

I also did check back with Dave at Rockstomper, and the best price he was able to offer was $125. and he couldn't offer the lifetime warranty either. He said the deal we are getting is probably as good as its going to get.

Last edited by sdastg1; 02-25-2004 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

I found about this company through another forum, and he gave them the same offer, and yes $120 for the 5/16th x 100. I also did send him the link for this website, so hopefully he will post here and answer all your questions directly.

As far as the roller fairlead vs hawse fairlead. I'm no expert but from what I understood you had to go with the hawse to prevent damaging the rope. and while you do have a lifetime warranty on the rope, I would rather not have it break while I am using it. But don't worry I'm trying to hook you guys up too for the aluminum hawse fair lead. It should be about $25 or so.

As far as length size for ropes and what will fit what? When he post here, hopefully he will answer all those questions for you.

I also did check back with Dave at Rockstomper, and the best price he was able to offer was $125. and he couldn't offer the lifetime warranty either. He said the deal we are getting is probably as good as its going to get.
Having to buy a fairlead has changed my mind. I'll stick with metal cable.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

ok my winch showed up via frieght truck today, and it came with the hawse fairlead. So I won't be needing one. If someone else needs one, let me know and I'll post a link on where to get one. Or you could go with onee of the other online distributers
Old 02-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

sdastg1:

(mine comes in tomorrow!!)

I'm pretty sure I ordered the same winch as you with the special from 4wheelparts. It comes with the hawse fairlead. Do you think we can use that fairlead or should we get the aluminum fairlead instead? Just wondering as I thought I heard that it's best for the synthetic ropes to run off the alum fairleads instead.

This then poses another question. Mini group buy on the alum fairleads? I'm lookin at Master Pull, SpiderTrax to name a few regardless I'll prob get the alum fairleads to be safe though.

Thanks ofcourse!
Old 02-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

So what is the one they sent made of?
Old 02-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

So what is the one they sent made of?
I dunno, steel? I only ask because if you think about it if it was alum, wouldn't the cable just eat it up?

Just wondering Figure its best to ask all the stupid questions now so we don't fubar it up while installing it
Old 02-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

yeah this is a learning process for me as well. I checked all pro, and spider trax web sites .. and they want $50 for the alluminum fairlead ... I know I've seen it one sale for $29 before on all pro's website.
So if someone wants to organize a group buy on those its fine. But for now I'm going to stick with the one they sent. Besides its just two bolts to remove to switch out the hawse fair lead.

Also I guess I can start another thread on this .. but does someone have a write up on how to install this winch?

thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

For anyone that is interested in aluminum Hawse Fairlead

click here
Old 02-25-2004, 04:42 PM

For anyone that is interested in aluminum Hawse Fairlead

click here
And for a UHMWPE fairlead look here, about 2/3rds down and $25. Very nicely machined, I will be using one on my ARB once I remove the roller fairlead bracket stuff.

Quick Reply: Interest in a GROUP BUY for synthetic winch rope